Ford 1700

/ Ford 1700 #1  

cmsedore

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 HST
I was started on my quest for a new tractor by the untimely failure of my Ford 1700. I now am the happy owner of a Kubota L4610, but still have the Ford 1700 sitting outside my barn.

Anyway, I'm wondering what I should do with it. I would venture a guess that it has a broken rod or similar internal engine problem. (For those interested: I was snowblowing at full RPM when it made a clank/clunk. RPM's dropped to about 1000 with no change in the throttle position. It had almost no power (had to come back in the driveway at about 1mph). I don't think it is the crank, because the starter turns the rear and the front of the crank turns, plus it ran enough to get it off the road.) When I learned it would likely cost ~$2000 or more plus six weeks to get it fixed, I decided it was time to move on. It was rebuilt once before (and the shop didn't quite get it right--one cylinder took a few extra seconds to catch in cold weather), so I'm not sure how rebuildable it is now.

It has some good parts left (as far as I can tell, the all the cast parts are in tact, the starter and alternator were recently rebuilt, and the hyd pump is fine). Appearance wise, let's say it has been well used.

Some folks have offered to buy it, but I'm not sure what a fair price would be.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Chris

/ Ford 1700 #2  
I don't know what it would be worth, but if you are looking to sell it, I would like to see a picture of it. I love a good project./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Ford 1700 #3  
Two thoughts:

Put an ad in the TBN classified section. Or put it up for sale on Ebay. It's amazing what stuff sells for on Ebay. That's where I sold my old Farmall 400, and I figure it brought about 1k more on ebay then it would of locally.

As to what to sell it for, I don't really have an idea. But the 1700 series was very popular, there should be a decent market for the parts. And since it still runs it's repairable. Kinda sounds like from your description it broke a piston or dropped a valve. If there's no damage to block or crank it's fixable without too much expense by someone doing the work themselves. Pulling the cylinder head would tell you, but if you're going to sell it as is, it's best to leave it togeather so someone can at least hear it run.

HTH,
Dave Perry

/ Ford 1700
Pictures following.

Attachments

• 46-185559-PICT0006.jpg
    46-185559-PICT0006.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 315
   / Ford 1700
I might move those lights to the Kubota loader frame (after enclosing them in a steel shell.

Attachments

• 46-185561-PICT0007.jpg
    46-185561-PICT0007.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 231
   / Ford 1700
Nothing wrong with the 3pt, just used the belt to hold it up when I pulled it out of the barn.