Tractor Sizing What tractor to buy?

/ What tractor to buy? #11  
Hi joeyb,
Just a suggestion, but maybe you could give us a ballpark figure of what your budget is. That may help these guys steer you in the right direction. Everyone loves to help a new guy spend his money;)

Mark

/ What tractor to buy? #12  
I am new to country living and know nothing about tractors. I live on five acres about half woods and half grass...or should I say weeds. I need to buy something soon to cut the weeds until I can properly smooth out the cleared land and plant actual grass. I would love to get a 20K kubota with a loader and mower but can't afford it. I don't think I can afford anything with a loader so I will be moving downed trees and firewood by hand. I've been looking at the ford 8n, 9n, 2n but I think these may be too heavy for a proper lawn? Someone recommended a cub lo boy but I haven't seen too many for sale. Can anybody recommend what type of tractor I should be looking for to maintain my property. I need to mow, haul stuff, plow the occassional big snow....8-12 inches around here. I have tools and mechanical knowledge so maintenance and repair shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Another note Joey...if you start visiting dealers for comparisons, ask about trying out the model you are interested in...a lot of dealers (won't hurt to ask) will allow a "try out" on your property.

/ What tractor to buy? #13  
I would go with something under 25 horse with cat 1 3 point so you can add attachments. You can go to sales and find a buy and start adding to your collection. (it's what women do with shoes) Guy's do it with attachments LOL But don't mow your lawn with tractor tires! :)

/ What tractor to buy?
Hi joeyb,
Just a suggestion, but maybe you could give us a ballpark figure of what your budget is. That may help these guys steer you in the right direction. Everyone loves to help a new guy spend his money;)

Mark

I was hoping to get something for around $4,000. The more I look at prices of used stuff on ebay....I'm getting discouraged. Seems most tractors only lose a third of their original cost while many sell for more than they were new.

I really appreciate everyone's responses. Thank you.

/ What tractor to buy? #15  
I was hoping to get something for around $4,000. The more I look at prices of used stuff on ebay....I'm getting discouraged. Seems most tractors only lose a third of their original cost while many sell for more than they were new.

$4K puts you in the 30-40-year old used tractor market. Buying used tractors is like buying used trucks--experience counts a lot. There are a lot of those old 1950s era Ford 8Ns around, but the trick is to find one that hasn't been run to death. Two of my neighbors have 8Ns and they do a good job on their 10-acre spreads (one does hay, the other just mows his pasture). Both of those guys can do a good wrenching job when needed, and you'll definitely need to do that if you get into old iron. Engine work isn't too bad since these old suckers are pretty simple. It's clutch, tranny and hydraulic work that becomes a chore--you usually have to split the tractor to do that kind of repair.

Keep watching craigslist and the local classified supermarket rags and you'll soon find something useful. I have 3 tractors that I found on craigs list---1964 Massey Ferguson 135 diesel ($3600), 1951 Farmall Super A gasser ($1300) and a 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF gasser(also $1300). Something like the 135 (45 hp engine) might be oversize for your jobs. The Super A is small (14hp engine) but nimble. The BF is about 25 hp and would handle your chores with no problem. I'm not saying these are the only or the best alternatives for you--just giving you info that may be useful to you.

/ What tractor to buy? #16  

Joey...K7LN may have your number...$4K is really going to limit your choices, new or used. The "garden tractor" sized JD's can be had with hydraulics for snow plowing and such, and it wouldn't take that much longer to mow with. They can push a 54" plow plenty good, they're reliable and parts are easy to find for DIY repairs...always something to consider when on a budget.

/ What tractor to buy? #17  
I tell you this. Late 80's and early 90's Kubotas, of the B and L series are right in your wheel house. Yes, they are older, many will have 400-1200 hours on them, but that wouldn't worry me one bit, if and this is important, if they were well cared for. I'd buy one in a heart beat. Those were much smaller tractors in that era, often 15 - 17 horse power, but will work well and pull with torque.

In comparison to tractors built in the 1940's, these would be "modern".

Here is one on ebay right now, for example. Seller is gonefishorgolf
We aren't supposed to post links. This is but one of many, many examples.

/ What tractor to buy? #18  
I tell you this. Late 80's and early 90's Kubotas, of the B and L series are right in your wheel house. Yes, they are older, many will have 400-1200 hours on them, but that wouldn't worry me one bit, if and this is important, if they were well cared for. I'd buy one in a heart beat. Those were much smaller tractors in that era, often 15 - 17 horse power, but will work well and pull with torque.

In comparison to tractors built in the 1940's, these would be "modern".

Here is one on ebay right now, for example. Seller is gonefishorgolf
We aren't supposed to post links. This is but one of many, many examples.
Joey...bp fick is right...this is good info...look into it. Take your time and go over any used machine or have a buddy who is knowledgeable about tractors go along with you...there are a lot of used tractors out there, but you don't want to end up with a "white elephant". I would rather have a well maintained machine with a couple of thousand hours than 200 hours with the crap beat out of it.

/ What tractor to buy?
Joey...bp fick is right...this is good info...look into it. Take your time and go over any used machine or have a buddy who is knowledgeable about tractors go along with you...there are a lot of used tractors out there, but you don't want to end up with a "white elephant". I would rather have a well maintained machine with a couple of thousand hours than 200 hours with the crap beat out of it.

Yeah, I care mostly about how the machine was treated over age and hours.

A knowledgable friend came with me to look at a Bolens, but said it was way overpriced. What do you think of this one?

"Bolens/Iseki G152 water cooled 3 cylinder 15 hp diesel. Transmission has 3 forward/1 reverse with high/low range. Locking differential , cat 1 3 point hitch , 3 speed pto , 4 hydraulic outlets on the front that can easily be rerouted to the back for attachments if needed. Hoses are all in good condition with no leaks. 54" hydraulic lift/angle blade and 50" belly mower both in very good condition and ready to use. Also has wheel weights and working headlights. Tires have good tread with no leaks. Tractor has plenty of power and loads of low rpm torque. Engine starts easily (even in cold temps) runs smooth and performs flawlessly. Overall in excellent condition and has always been reliable. Asking $3150"
3m03p93l15T25P75R2a2ne3e8e7594a98141a.jpg

/ What tractor to buy? #20  
Just my opinion, but Kubota, John Deere, etc equals parts availability. Some of the others, like an older Bolens, are getting difficult to locate parts. Keep that in mind. You are going to find a ton of tractors for sale in that $3-4000 range. You have to actually go see them, drive them, talk to the owner and make a decision. No one can say from behind a computer screen if any particular machine is "good" or "bad" other than generalizations based on history, parts availability, or general reputation.