Help picking tractor

/ Help picking tractor #21  
Welcome to TBN!

I'm with your priorities, identical to mine, thus see things this way:

4WD ... a must for the many situations that come up. Gets you out of borderline traction situations. You can take it out of 4wd and get a slightly tighter turning radius, when needed.

HST...a must because of the ease with which you control speed while at full power and allows maneuvering very slowly/carefully in tight corners or when bale is high for stacking/unstacking, etc. There have been several threads on TBN discussing HST reliability. The consensus is that they are extremely reliable. Personally, I believe this strongly.

50 hp... my tractor is right at this hp. I lift 1500lb 6 ft round bales, front and rear, typically 100 per year, can stack 2 high. Three high is possible, but borderline for this size bale. Would be doable for the smaller bales you are using. Not every bale weighs this, but sometimes hay is wet, or very dense, or just cut and still has some moisture. You are talking about smaller bales, I understand, but having just a bit more lift capacity moves you just beyond the borderline environment, and that's where you want to be. Note, sufficient rear counterbalance weight is MANDATORY for safe operation of FEL with significant weight on it. Many TBN threads echo this requirement. Raw tractor weight alone is NOT sufficient.

Typically, people love the particular tractor they have, else they would get a different one. I'm no different.

I do all the things you are talking about (except arena work) and consider my tractor to be in a very sweet spot for capability and maneuverability and beyond borderline for everything needed to do for a 25 animal unit cow/calf operation on about 200 acres.

The Kubota Grand L series is specifically designed for maneuverability and capability. I purchased a used Grand L 5030 with just under 300 hours on it, with cab, FEL hay spike, heavy duty bucket, box blade, quick attach, fluid filled rear wheels, $23K. I can't recommend it too highly. My initial impression of too small front wheels and wondering if it would do the jobs I had to do has changed to one of "I can't believe all the things this tractor will do, with safety and competency!" I don't baby it, I USE IT. No breakdowns, ever. I recommend this tractor and similar sized for your work.

Many will tell you to shop dealer as well as tractor. I agree. Gotta have confidence that if something DOES go wrong you have a dealer with the expertise and shop experience to understand and fix it. Dealer selection, too, will put you beyond the borderline.

I put together a Word document couple of years ago that details my tractor attachments and modifications to do needed chores... PM me your email address and I'll send it to you just FYI. I suspect much of what I do is similar to what you need to do.

Happy tractor shopping:thumbsup:

/ Help picking tractor #22  
I did the same thing two years ago. I'm an older guy and have had old tractors and I'd had compact tractors....what I wanted was bulletproof tractor that could do any job. I looked seriously at Zetors and JDs. Would have bought the Zetor too, if the dealer had stayed in business. Dandy tractor. Clearly quality throughout. Comfortable and quiet and built like a tank.
Some thoughts: I've never heard of anyone who was disappointed that they got a bigger tractor or a bigger loader or 4WD. Treat yourself and make those a requirement.
I was torn between getting a good used JD Ag machine with lots of gears....and going for a construction type with the newer hydrostatic drives. Used my buddy's big Case construction tractor for about an hour one day and was sold. For doing chores instead of field work I am a believer. I'll never go back to clutch and gears just as I'll never have one without power steering.
For your dollar requirements I think you are better off looking at a good used machine rather than a new small machine. There's lots to pick from. But I think you'll be a happier camper if you can spend 35K instead of 20. A solid used machine in a well-known brand name seems to be as good an investment as anything else in the world. Lots of low hour used ones from the last ten years or so still feel darn near new and will last anyone's lifetime. But you get to pay real dollars for that.
rScotty