Comparison mini dozer

/ mini dozer #61  
Well, I purchased a used Struck Corp. 2003 Magnatrac MH4800 with FEL in August 2009. I searched the internet for any sort of info I could find about it before I looked at it. Upon seeing it, the seller let me drive it into the woods and sand pit to try it out. I immediately put a deposit on the Magnatrac and picked it up 2 weeks later. I LOVE IT !!! I can make trails, dig out boulders, tow boulders ETC ETC. This spring I plan on skidding logs with it. The best thing I like anbout it is that it's made in the USA and the factory support is the best I've come across. All parts are redily available upon a phone call. MAGNATRAC MH4800, See The Light, Just Do It !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ mini dozer #62  
My question would then be. If you're going with the bigger machines then your probably using a real dump truck. Wouldn't it benifit a bigger outfit to have a big dump, that inturn would require a CDL?

I can't really speak as to what would be best for anyones individual situation.

I was just throwing my comment out in response to this absurd comment by a proud CDL holder.
Guy with no CDL, no doubt mini ex. is better.

No 3/4 ton I know of weighs 8,800#. That may be the max GVWR of the GM 3/4 line but they only weigh about 6,500#. Even my 1 ton PowerStroke 4x4 only pushes 7,600# with me in it but has a GVWR of 11,500#.

You could tow one but it would be right on the limit for most operations and not a worry for others.

Chris

Yes Chris I know that a 3/4 ton doesn't weigh 8800#, but I specifically said GVWR and that is what CDL is based off of. I suppose it is possible to sneak a 7 ton mini on a under CDL combination but it would be tough.

/ mini dozer #63  
My question would then be. If you're going with the bigger machines then your probably using a real dump truck. Wouldn't it benifit a bigger outfit to have a big dump, that inturn would require a CDL?

BTW Could you define "real" dumptruck? Would it have to be 4WD and have aluminum rims and front floater tires to be a real dumptruck? :laughing:

/ mini dozer #64  
Well, just a quick note. Two guys got themselves fired by the time I got there. It seems (Um, let's call them Bob and Tom for simplicity and to keep me out of trouble) that Tom told Bob that no good operator could get a backhoe stuck. Bob took offense to that and the argument followed as expected. Bob went and got into Tom's truck (big 4X4 with big tires) and proceeded to run it in the area where the backhoe was stuck. Well, it got stuck too.

Sounds like you had an exciting day :confused2::drool::confused2::drool:

I got there after the fist fight and saw Tom's truck leaving on the back of a rollback. They'd used a dozer to winch the backhoe out by then as well. I still need to clean my little mini ex off, but I made a few hundred cash to cut a trench through a really mucky area. Here's a quick pic. You can't tell much, but there doesn't seem to be a hard bottom to the area.

Yep I agree that grounds looks real soft. I would have never took a wheeled vehicle into that mess.

/ mini dozer #65  
BTW Could you define "real" dumptruck? Would it have to be 4WD and have aluminum rims and front floater tires to be a real dumptruck? :laughing:

I own a 3ton dump and do not consider that real. Yes it is real and does exactly what I need and want. BUT if I were in a business I would have to atleast bump up to something that could haul 12ton {total weight of 30,000+lbs}. The truck alone would reguire a CDL then you'd have to add in the weight of trailer and machinery. Sorry but all the fancy stuff just shows what some men are missing else where :D :laughing:.

The weight is based off of what the truck is registered for. I could have a truck that could haul{total weight} 20,000lbs but only register it for 15,000. As long as I include truck weight and whatever I plan to haul, it should not exceed 15,000lbs if that is what it is registered for. CDL comes into play for anything over 26,000lbs in NY as long as a person does not exceed that amount they are legal. So if a truck weighed 7,600lbs trailer weighed 4,000lbs and the ex weighed 14,000lbs it would total 25,600lbs, which would make this combo just under CDL law.

/ mini dozer #66  
Charles:

Back to your question.......I have a Magnatrac MH 7000, I bought it used as a repo. with about 25 hours on it. It came with a loader, backhoe, quick-attach front implement plate, forks, grouser shoes and maybe some other minor stuff. I absolutely love it! I am a homeowner who likes to "play" in the yard. I had a 4WD, 22 hp Kioti diesel tractor with a bucket and 3 pt. backhoe, I loved that machine as well. I made a deal with my wife to "upgrade" to the Magnatrac. I had always wanted one. I will say this from my experience:

The Kioti was much easier on the yard, faster, excellent on fuel, low maintenance, more versatile, high ground clearance. It also, did not like wet ground, tight quarters, no P/S. got flat tires, not a lot of "pushing" power, was older so the dealer did not go out of their way to help with service issues.

The Magnatrac turns on a dime, will push until it stalls, goes just about anywhere, has a major selection of attachments available, excellent service from Struck Corp., it also requires more greasing, chain tightening, inspection of components, fuel.

They both have their place, I wish I had both today. I have been able to do my projects faster with the Magnatrac, but destroy more in my path.

Final recommendation would be if you need serious digging, earth moving, the track machine is a better choice. If you want an "all around" tractor, stick with a good compact 4WD machine. As far as size, at 5800 lbs., it provides more than enough for a small landscaper or serious homeowner.

Hope this helps.

Paul

/ mini dozer #67  
Charles:

Back to your question.......I have a Magnatrac MH 7000, I bought it used as a repo. with about 25 hours on it. It came with a loader, backhoe, quick-attach front implement plate, forks, grouser shoes and maybe some other minor stuff. I absolutely love it! I am a homeowner who likes to "play" in the yard. I had a 4WD, 22 hp Kioti diesel tractor with a bucket and 3 pt. backhoe, I loved that machine as well. I made a deal with my wife to "upgrade" to the Magnatrac. I had always wanted one. I will say this from my experience:

The Kioti was much easier on the yard, faster, excellent on fuel, low maintenance, more versatile, high ground clearance. It also, did not like wet ground, tight quarters, no P/S. got flat tires, not a lot of "pushing" power, was older so the dealer did not go out of their way to help with service issues.

The Magnatrac turns on a dime, will push until it stalls, goes just about anywhere, has a major selection of attachments available, excellent service from Struck Corp., it also requires more greasing, chain tightening, inspection of components, fuel.

They both have their place, I wish I had both today. I have been able to do my projects faster with the Magnatrac, but destroy more in my path.

Final recommendation would be if you need serious digging, earth moving, the track machine is a better choice. If you want an "all around" tractor, stick with a good compact 4WD machine. As far as size, at 5800 lbs., it provides more than enough for a small landscaper or serious homeowner.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Welcome to TBN, Paul! :)

And thanks for answering the original question with your experience. :thumbsup:

/ mini dozer #68  
Hi guys, glad to be a member...lurked for awhile & after reading this thread decided to join & post.

Charles the struck will prolly be to small for a guy your size, however they are great lil machines & do way more than most give credit for, I was skeptical until a customer let me demo one he had for sale.....he liked it so much he bought 2 of em, but the wife didnt care for that so I got 1 off him.

I was gonna purchase skid steer with over tracks & after a demo...they sucked, did alot of looking for a compact, tough, go anywhere machine & the magnatrac fit the bill..........Im very impressed with it & the majority of my biz utilizes this machine! Ive seen that someone bragged about their Nortrac & I was actually thinking about one of those & then they quit selling them & discontinued production......atleast struck is still in biz & the magna`s will do just as much!!!

good luck on your search.

LXT...