Buying Advice Help me spend money.....

/ Help me spend money..... #11  
Ok, my thoughts are time based.

If you are purchasing now. the "lawn" is the first thing you need to address. You could spend 20 or so hours using your push mower to do the 6 acres... Ok ok maybe that's a little optomistic on the time.
A Grass Finnish mower is your first purchase. Zero turn seems to be the best solution for you as you will still need a tractor for the rest of your land, but a Zero turn will be far quicker at the specialized finnish mowing if you have to go arround 10-12 trees per acre. Take a look around there are lots of them around from standing (roll along) to seated ones with ROPs.
I have 1.5 acres of finnish mowing and with my rider Garden tractor 58" cut it's still about 2 hrs of cutting due to trees. For me a Zero turn would cut it in 1/2! So you may still be looking at 3-4 hrs of finnish mowing if you get a 60" mower. So I'd think about something larger than that.

Now that you have the finnish mowing taken care of, you can look for a tractor and Implements. 30-45 hp might work, but will depend on what you intend for use of the acreage. Are you going to cut, dry and bail? Convert to growing crops? Maintain animals? You really need to think this through as you can get away with far less HP if you aren't growing crops, Hay or other crops will require your tractor to run other attachments and pull equipment. Here is where weight and HP really make life easier and make quick work of chores. So you really need to spend time in the purchasing, attachments and some post in the "Projects" section will give you a great idea of what you need.

Cheers and if you need help spending $$, the TBN posters will be more than happy to accept your donations to their wallets.

/ Help me spend money..... #12  
I can not give any advise your lawn mowing solutions, :eek: but I can on your driveway maintenance.;) Since your road is already in good shape, I highly recommend a road grader type of blade. You can get these twin bladed graders from 5'-12' wide. Depending on what size tractor you end up getting and how wide your drive is would determine the width of the grader blade that you would get. I would also consider only medium to heavy duty blades, they have the weight to get the job done right. I have 5' & 7' widths of these types of blades and a good 5 footer should work fine for your 600' drive. These blades will fill potholes, remove washboard, smooth and level your drive. I use a Mahindra 3215HST to pull my 5' grader blade.

Attachments

• P4190012.JPG
    P4190012.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 135
  • P4190013.JPG
    P4190013.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 135
  • P4190014.JPG
    P4190014.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 133
  • P4190015.JPG
    P4190015.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 139
   / Help me spend money..... #13  
You'll need somthing small for mowing and maintaining or snow removal that won't tear up the grass and be good on fuel. If you plan on excavation with it, or larger tasks like bailing hay, or mowing just wide open spaces you'll need a larger one. From my reaserch it is better to have 2 suited to the tasks at hand rather than trying to get 1 to do it all.

/ Help me spend money..... #14  
tractor with every attachment you want/need
zero turn mower
utv/atv
dozer
back hoe
dump truck
couple string trimmers
couple chain saws

well, i think that might just do it....

/ Help me spend money..... #15  
tractor with every attachment you want/need
zero turn mower
utv/atv
dozer
back hoe
dump truck
couple string trimmers
couple chain saws

well, i think that might just do it....

That would be nice. Don't forget a drum chipper with a 400HP Cummins and something to load the trees into with. A firewood processor would help too :)
Dave.

/ Help me spend money..... #16  
Hello Everyone
I figured the title would get some attention. I need help deciding what equipment I should buy to take care of property I will be buying soon.

I will be buying 21 acres of land with a home on it. Around 6 acres of the property around the home is considered lawn and is finish mowed. The other 15 acres are cleared pasture type land. The property is flat and has 10-12 trees per acre.

Right now I have a honda push mower, so I am clearly starting with a clean slate. I am open to any and all suggestions.

The area where I will be buying has JD, Kubota, Kioti, Mahindra and New Holland dealerships.

I will be maintaining about a 600 foot gravel drive that is in really good shape and occasionally doing loader work, but not necessary at this time. The main task will be mowing.

Thanks in advance for your help and let me know if I left out any information that you need to help me spend money. :laughing:

Your place sounds pretty close to ours. We have 20 acres. Seven acres in yard, ten acres in pasture, and three acres in woods. We have an 800' gravel driveway. I have a B7800 Kubota 30 HP with 22 PTO HP. I use a Land Pride RCR1860 (5') rotary cutter for the pastures and a Woods PRD7200 RFM (6') to mow the grass. I also have a Gravely 16G lawn tractor for trim work. The B7800 with 30 HP/22 PTO HP takes care of this place very well but I wouldn't want to go any smaller on tractor size. A ZTR would have also been nice but I was on a budget and the CUT with the attachments the most economical choice for me. I sure hope you like to mow grass. A six or seven acre yard is a handful. A whole day of mowing every week.

/ Help me spend money..... #17  
Hello Everyone
I figured the title would get some attention. I need help deciding what equipment I should buy to take care of property I will be buying soon.

I will be buying 21 acres of land with a home on it. Around 6 acres of the property around the home is considered lawn and is finish mowed. The other 15 acres are cleared pasture type land. The property is flat and has 10-12 trees per acre.

Right now I have a honda push mower, so I am clearly starting with a clean slate. I am open to any and all suggestions.

The area where I will be buying has JD, Kubota, Kioti, Mahindra and New Holland dealerships.

I will be maintaining about a 600 foot gravel drive that is in really good shape and occasionally doing loader work, but not necessary at this time. The main task will be mowing.

Thanks in advance for your help and let me know if I left out any information that you need to help me spend money. :laughing:

Congratulations with your home/land purchase. You'll get a lot of enjoyment working on it with a new/used tractor. It seems that any of those models will be able to do what you want. If not just keep spending until you find one that will :laughing: just kidding.

You seem to have an adequate supply of dealerships to check out. I'm sure they will be able to answer your questions. It may help to keep in mind that sometimes the best deals or buys are the ones you don't make.:) Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide to go with. KK

/ Help me spend money..... #18  
one serious pc. of advice, though, is to buy used.....the money you save will allow you to buy other things that you need.....

i've bought all of my string trimmers, tractor attachments, chainsaws, zeroturn, heck, even the tractor used.....

keep in mind, i don't know your mechanical ability but if you watch long and close enough, most of my used stuff was like new......except for the 038 Mag II that I dug out of the trash......

/ Help me spend money.....
Thanks everyone for your replies. I don't think my wife would want me to go shopping with a couple of you - but it sure would be fun :D

I read many forums discussing mid-mount mowers vs RFM vs ZTR and i guess it all boils down to what you want.

My logic, given that I do have a budget, is that if starting from scratch, I should invest in a high quality 30+ hp CUT or UT. I can then add attachments as I need them. Later, if I can't stomach the mowing time or come into some extra money, I can look for a used ZTR.

I don't forsee haying on the property. I will probably have up to one acre as a garden and maybe put animals on the rest of the "pasture".

Thanks again for your input and I will keep you up to speed with my decisions. Next decision is color......!!!:confused:

/ Help me spend money..... #20  
If it were me I would be looking for a way to cut the 6 acres of lawn to 2 or 3 acres. I mow 1.5 acres and its plenty for me. Good luck finding the best machine(s) for your needs.