Buying Advice Help me spend money.....

/ Help me spend money..... #1  

95_tlc

Hello Everyone
I figured the title would get some attention. I need help deciding what equipment I should buy to take care of property I will be buying soon.

I will be buying 21 acres of land with a home on it. Around 6 acres of the property around the home is considered lawn and is finish mowed. The other 15 acres are cleared pasture type land. The property is flat and has 10-12 trees per acre.

Right now I have a honda push mower, so I am clearly starting with a clean slate. I am open to any and all suggestions.

The area where I will be buying has JD, Kubota, Kioti, Mahindra and New Holland dealerships.

I will be maintaining about a 600 foot gravel drive that is in really good shape and occasionally doing loader work, but not necessary at this time. The main task will be mowing.

Thanks in advance for your help and let me know if I left out any information that you need to help me spend money. :laughing:

/ Help me spend money..... #2  
Welcome to TBN ..... huge amount of good info here....an incredible number of posts and threads discussing similar if not identical needs as yours and solutions.:thumbsup:

Fastest answer to your questions, along with many pros and cons, would be to use the TBN search feature and read what sooo many others have already written.

/ Help me spend money..... #3  
I would not want to make any brand specific recommendation as that is best decided by you. Go spend some serious amount of time just sitting on machines and when you find two or three that feels comfortable to you (!!!!) start asking for test drives. Get something in the 35-40hp range. The only specific item I would mention is that since you are only mowing either lawn or field on flat terrain turf tires will do fine.

/ Help me spend money..... #4  
Welcome.:D

What will be the intended use of the pasture type land?:D

Do you need six acres of lawn?:D

Any gardening expected?:D

How much spare time do you have?:D

Budget?

Now, your simplest method of spending money is to send it all to me. Then you will not have to bother yourself with spending it!:thumbsup:

/ Help me spend money..... #5  
Welcome to TBN.
Good info been given,also talk/see what others in your area using to maintain there land.

Most of all let the tractor you pick fit you...comfortable.

/ Help me spend money..... #6  
My advice would be to think about buying a commercial grade Zero turn mower and a 30hp tractor (maybe both used to keep the money down). They are much faster than almost any tractor setup unless it is a 10'+ batwing on a 50hp + tractor. You can buy a lot of toys for that much $.

/ Help me spend money..... #7  
A 35 - 40 HP tractor with a 7' rear finish mower and a 6' brush mower would be a good fit.
With turf tires or R-4's for mowing the lawn.

/ Help me spend money..... #8  
My advice would be to think about buying a commercial grade Zero turn mower and a 30hp tractor (maybe both used to keep the money down). They are much faster than almost any tractor setup unless it is a 10'+ batwing on a 50hp + tractor. You can buy a lot of toys for that much $.

Welcome to TBN tlc:)
Dependant on your budget,this would be a good approach

Greg

/ Help me spend money..... #9  
Spending money is not a problem, look into a large commercial or golf type front mower. The prices for those things will give you sticker shock.

DKVince has a more sane suggestion though and I agree a 40hp with a 7' rfm is a good choice, you can trim with your Honda mower too.

/ Help me spend money..... #10  
Hello Everyone
I figured the title would get some attention. I need help deciding what equipment I should buy to take care of property I will be buying soon.

I will be buying 21 acres of land with a home on it. Around 6 acres of the property around the home is considered lawn and is finish mowed. The other 15 acres are cleared pasture type land. The property is flat and has 10-12 trees per acre.

Right now I have a honda push mower, so I am clearly starting with a clean slate. I am open to any and all suggestions.

The area where I will be buying has JD, Kubota, Kioti, Mahindra and New Holland dealerships.

I will be maintaining about a 600 foot gravel drive that is in really good shape and occasionally doing loader work, but not necessary at this time. The main task will be mowing.

Thanks in advance for your help and let me know if I left out any information that you need to help me spend money. :laughing:

What's your budget for the tractor? For implements?
Think through your present and future (5 years out) needs and determine which implements and which size implements you're going to need to do your jobs.
THEN start visiting the LOCAL tractor dealers and get up close and personal with the tractors that appear to fill the bill. Get as much seat time on these candidates as possible.

You'll probably want the usual newby stuff on the tractor--FEL, HST, 4WD, power steering. Maybe some sort of canopy that attaches to the ROPS.

Get chain hooks welded to the FEL bucket (there are lots of options here that you can find via a TBN search). Get the skid steer quick attach option for your FEL. Get at least two hydraulic remotes on the rear of your tractor and, if you think you'll need hydraulics on the front, get a set of remotes there too.

Do the ag tire vs turf tire tradeoff based on your present and future needs.

Consider previously owned tractors if your budget is pinched.