where to start

/ where to start #1  

borisvonf

Tractor
Jd 5500 mfwd. Kawasaki mule sx 4x4 JD5103 with 521 loader
i recently was fortunate enough to buy 86 acres of land for hunting, camping and playing. it will be a weekend getaway for my family of 5.

i now need equipment. i plan to farm an 8-10 acre dove field, 4 deer/turkey food plots from 1/2 - 1 1/2 acres, maintain some roads and who knows what else. the terrain is red clay with hills and rocks.

i suspect i need around a 50 hp tractor with 4wd, but i really don't know. i finally have my dream place, and i am not getting any younger and neither are my kids. so, i want to have a good tool for the job. also, i have lots of wants on this place - pond, cabin, barn - so i don't want to spend all my money on one thing, but i don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish either.

where do i go from here in buying a tractor?

thanks in advance for your thoughts.

/ where to start #2  
First off congratulations on the new property.

Given what you intend to do and "want" i would say 50hp minimum. Are you thinking you want a new tractor or used? Do you intend to build your own pond/cabin/etc.? Either way you go get AG (R1) tires and a FEL. There are a lot of machines that can fill the bill. I have a 50hp Kubota MX5000 thats a striped down tough little tractor. Your going to need a rotory cutter, tiller/plow-disc, seed spreader/drill. I don't know what grows in a dove field besides sunflowers but you might want to look at having that part of the work contracted out to save you the expense of buying all the equipment needed to harvest/haul the crop. Give us all the details you can.

/ where to start #3  
i recently was fortunate enough to buy 86 acres of land for hunting, camping and playing. it will be a weekend getaway for my family of 5.

i now need equipment. i plan to farm an 8-10 acre dove field, 4 deer/turkey food plots from 1/2 - 1 1/2 acres, maintain some roads and who knows what else. the terrain is red clay with hills and rocks.

i suspect i need around a 50 hp tractor with 4wd, but i really don't know. i finally have my dream place, and i am not getting any younger and neither are my kids. so, i want to have a good tool for the job. also, i have lots of wants on this place - pond, cabin, barn - so i don't want to spend all my money on one thing, but i don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish either.

where do i go from here in buying a tractor?

thanks in advance for your thoughts.

You need to think through your building/improvement plan for the next 5 years, task by task in detail.

Then figure out which implements and their sizes you'll need to handle your plan.

THEN figure out what size tractor and what tractor features you need/want to handle these implements.

Then fold in your budgetary considerations and figure out where that puts you (new tractor? Used tractor? New implements? Used implements?).

/ where to start #4  
Are you planning on keeping the tractor at the property or trailering ? That can make a *big* difference in what physical size tractor you look at.

-r-

/ where to start
wow, thanks for the quick replies.

i plan to leave the tractor out there, 20 miles from home.

the dove field will initially be broadcast millet, but eventually be mix of drilled wheat, corn, sunflowers, and millet. likely rent or hire no till drill. small food plots will be plowed and broadcast.

no crops harvested, just grow and knock it down/burn, etc.

i know i need bush hog and spreader. there is a neighbor's disk on my dirt that he will let me borrow.

is it better to bite the bullet and get a tractor with a front end loader or add one later when i need it. i will probably need it sooner rather thatn later as there are tons of brush piles and mess from the timber job before me. i am getting a dozer crew to root/rock rake the dove field and clean the big stuff.

i prefer used in cars and boats, but am better of with new in a tractor?
after shopping online it seems that tractors sure hold their value. i am not a mechanic so i don't want to spend more time and money on trailering back and forth to the dealer. more suggestions needed.

again, thanks for the info.

/ where to start #6  
Where is the property? Sounds like my kind of place. You may need to hire me as a live in, I'll bring my tractor with me. If we need a bigger tractor I'll be the first to let you know.:D
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to TBN.

/ where to start #7  
Where is the property? Sounds like my kind of place. You may need to hire me as a live in, I'll bring my tractor with me. If we need a bigger tractor I'll be the first to let you know.:D
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to TBN.

Gizmo2 is trying to beat me out of my job! :)

Yes, you need a FEL from the get go. It will be the handiest, most back saving thing you own. Also, you would likely make good use of a grapple for brush, rocks, etc. Best to get a quick attach/skid steer style loader to make it easy to swap the bucket and grapple.

Welcome to the Forum. We know how to spend your money :p
Dave.

/ where to start #8  
Something to consider is IF you end up purchasing new. Typically you will get a better price on everything if purchased all at one time. So to add a loader that you know that you are going to need in the future, you will be best off to get it at the same time of the tractor purchase. Same seems to go for other implements and attachments, you get a better price if purchased with original purchase. So IF you know what you need and can afford it, get everything that you might need with your original purchase to get the best price possible. Most people get a tractor with front end loader and maybe an implement or two, then add from there.

Good luck

/ where to start #9  
I do basically the same thing at a remote property with a 26 hp tractor. Not saying that is right for you but don't get too hung up on hp. Pick the implements you need bush hog, tiller, etc. then size the tractor to match the implements. As others have said get the FEL. Congratulations on your property purchase.

/ where to start #10  
What you are doing sounds like a great adventure for you and your family.

And getting the right equipment will be an important part of moving forward.

But, I'll second what flusher said about coming up with a "site development plan" for your property. If you work out the general steps needed to achieve your dream in some measure of detail, you will have a better sense of what tasks lie ahead, the resources they will require and you will probably see what your priorities need to be in equipment, time, budget, etc.

Just for example, do you have an adequate place to store your new tractor and its implements? Can you insure the equipment when it's kept away from your home? Can you secure/deter access to the property from intruders?

Good luck!