Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC #11  
Some of the old tricycle tractors had a problem with rear axle breakage, resulting in rollovers. I had several conversations with a metallurgy professor who had studied the problem in the 70's and it was a fatigue issue. I can't remember if there were certain brands involved or not. If you go with the case I would suggest checking the axles for cracks with dye or magna-flux etc.

Never have heard of that as a problem. Doesn't mean it wasn't possible, but certainly not a major one.

And....can't imagine it was a cause of roll-over.

Sorry, but I have to disagree, and is just one opinion. :)

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC #12  
I'd go ford.. but I'd look for at least 53 or newer and get live hyds.. go 55 and newer and find live pto via 2 stage clutch and a 5 speed in the *6* models. All usually fall in the same price range as the ford N. 1500-3500$ buys most fords from 39-64. parts for them are readilly available.. easy to work on.. shop around. No way if I had only 1 tractor would I get one without a standard 3pt hitch...

soundguy

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC #13  
I agree with Soundguy. A 600 series Ford or Massey Ferguson 35 is a much better tractor and with live hydraulics. Only some had live PTO however.

Tom

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC #14  
In original configuration the Case had a more advanced motor design if my memory serves me correctly.:D

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC
Very helpful suggestions everyone, thanks a lot!

Here's the update -

The 9N, which I was fairly excited about, has been sold. Perhaps it's good, as I'm certainly trying to absorb info which is pointing me towards the 50's models and hopefully towards Live PTO/Live Hydraulics.

However, those seem to be in short supply in the market or in my price range.

Update on the Case is that it does have foot clutch and Eagle Claw hitch. However, I'm leaning away from the tricycle model tractors, thinking 4 wheels on the ground is a better bet on my rolling property. It's not extremely severe, but it's worth being careful.

In summary, there are some 8N's that have my attention, but I'm going to give the live-pto more consideration and do another round of searching.

Thanks again for the help.

Question: Is my logic of looking for 4 wheeled tractors for rolling terrain sound?

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC #16  
Never have heard of that as a problem. Doesn't mean it wasn't possible, but certainly not a major one.

And....can't imagine it was a cause of roll-over.

Sorry, but I have to disagree, and is just one opinion. :)

If I remember correctly, the axles were breaking from fatigue. The sudden departure of the rear wheel would cause roll overs. I talked with the professor a bit more because my wife first husband did from such an accident on a tricycle tractor.

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC #17  
it would have to break right at the hub to come loose. a break mid trumpet likely would only let it lean a few degrees thn grind alot... :)

soundguy

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC #18  
Beervangelist,
What are they asking for the Case SC and what kind of shape is it in?

My dad and I used the hydraulics to run a small logging winch and it worked well.

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC
Beervangelist,
What are they asking for the Case SC and what kind of shape is it in?

My dad and I used the hydraulics to run a small logging winch and it worked well.

Haven't seen it in person yet. Looks to be in decent shape, and is going for $2800 with attachments; bhog, blade, etc.

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC #20  
Question: Is my logic of looking for 4 wheeled tractors for rolling terrain sound?

I don't believe that four wheel tractors are significantly more stable than their narrow front counterparts. The reason is that the front axle on the wide front tractors has a significant amount of undampened articulation. In other words, the front of a wide front tractor is on a narrow center pivot just like the narrow front.

It's possible that the front axle would add some stability when it reaches the limits of its articulation, but I suspect by that point, the tractor is probably going to roll anyway.