Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC #1  

Beervangelist

Tractor
1946 Ford 2N
Any advice between these tractors? I'm looking for an inexpensive tractor for brush hogging, blading and maybe some plowing cultivating.

I have these two tractors in my sights each with various attachments and similarly priced. Any significant differences in which would be appropriate (or not) would be appreciated.

I'm somewhat a novice, although I've spent a little more than a season using a Ford 2N.

Thanks in advance.

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC #2  
Welcome to the forum.

The old Fords have a very good reputation, but if me, I'd go to an 8N for some better features.

If you like to work on mechanical things, then old iron is prolly good for you. If unfamiliar with tune-ups and fixing leaks and worn parts, then I'd suggest another venture for the things you want to do. Parts are available for the Fords, but don't know about the Case SC line.

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC #3  
I have to agree for the Ford and the 8N is much better. You should be able to pick up a 2N or 9N, at least in my parts for $1500. A 8N will fetch $2500. Parts for all 3 are very available. The Case will be a little tougher to find parts for.

Chris

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC #4  
If your CASE is a tricycle with variable width axle for rear wheel spacing,you may find the CASE is better suited for garden chores like plowing and cultivation. You will be able to manuver the row crops with ease. I have a 1952 CASE VAC. Use my Case mostly for road blade work and snow plowing because I can adjust the rear wheel exactly in front of the edge of the blade for precise cut.

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC #5  
Case SC

Some pictures of a case in various stages of rejuvenation.

The tractor choice may be affected by the present mechanical state choosing the one which appears to be the most reliable. :D

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC #6  
I was and and still am impressed with the Case SC tractor, our first tractor when I was growing up. This tractor weighs in around 4000 lbs and most had a rear remote outlet, Eagle Claw Hitch with a smooth controlable rise and fall.

Shortcoming of this tractor is the high position of the pto shaft, works fine for trailing equipment but not a good 3 pt tractor. The top link point connects over the pto cover so you can't use 3pt pto implements.

In many ways this tractor was ahead of its times and was certainly a quality built tractor. It had very good draft and braking abilities, better than the old Fords.

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC #7  
Some of the old tricycle tractors had a problem with rear axle breakage, resulting in rollovers. I had several conversations with a metallurgy professor who had studied the problem in the 70's and it was a fatigue issue. I can't remember if there were certain brands involved or not. If you go with the case I would suggest checking the axles for cracks with dye or magna-flux etc.

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC #8  
I agree to go with an 8N over a 2N or 9N. My 47 2N has the brakes on separate sides, which is no fun. Also, has pegs instead of floorboards (believe the same to be true of 9N).

What I will say is that the N series have a regular 3 point hitch, which means you can use them with all the usual 3 point implements. I like my N, it's a pretty versatile machine when used within it's limits. They are dirt simple to work on, parts are very available. Just remember, it's a ~20 HP machine. So, just because it's a "full size" tractor, it doesn't have a ton of horsepower.

Couple of fairly big gotchas to the N series tractors:
No "live" PTO, which means when you have the clutch in, the PTO stops. Not a HUGE problem, but something to keep in mind.

The PTO is not separated from the rear axle. When using something like a rotary cutter, you MUST use an overruning clutch or when you try to stop, the cutter will keep trying to push the tractor, making it hard to stop.

No "live" hydraulics. When the clutch is in, you cannot raise the 3 point. This is a big pain in the butt. It means when you are stopped and want to raise an implement, you have to put it in neutral, let the clutch out and raise it. So, when you want to turn around after pulling something like a rake or blade, you have to get to the end, stop, put in neutral, raise 3 point, put back in gear and turn around.

PTO must be engaged to raise the 3 point. Not sure how common this is outside of Ns, but can be a bit of a problem if you forget.

No external hydraulics. You won't have remotes for running anything like a top link or any of the other cool things these guys do with their newer compact tractors.

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC #9  
Bush hog was listed first. I put my rotary mower on my Dad's 9N; terrible! It turned it ok, but to get good PTO speed, the ground speed in first gear was FAST FAST FAST! The 8N is suppossed to have a better 1st gear? What kind of 1st gear does a Case SC have?

Personally, for what you talk about, I would get a Farmall Super A. Everything you need to farm 20 acres; what it was designed for. Or, a wide front Super C.

/ Old Tractors - Comparison: Ford 9N vs. Case SC #10  
One other thing to be aware of... the Case has a hand clutch. I used to run an SC on my father-in-law's farm a long time ago. I loved the hand clutch, but it can take some getting used to. Agree with others, though. A Ford 8n, Jubilee or Fergie with the 3pt system might be better for bush hogging.