Kubota B2910

/ Kubota B2910 #1  

Anonymous Poster

Just tried out a used 2910. It has 66 hours on it and was returned when the guy that bought it had a stroke (not tractor related I think :} ) Anyhow, it has an FEL. a 60"mmm with a vacuum system that is rear mounted and a 2 year warranty. It is a 2002 model. I need it for our place which is about 28 acres of which 5 or 6 will be tilled for a combination of strawberries and sweetcorn as well as a shelterbelt that needs tilling. WIll also be mowing and snowblowing. Two questions. they want $17,000 for the tractor about. Is that enough tractor and is that price OK??

Thanks

/ Kubota B2910 #2  
I don't know a thing about snow blowing, but that's a nice rig for everything else if you have plenty of time. Naturally, it's going take some time to mow that big a place (about 2 days with a 5' brush hog, I'd say) and to till that much acreage (all day and possibly 2 days). I'd want a 5' brush hog and a 54" to 62" tiller to go with the tractor, but the price doesn't sound bad to me with that mower and vacuum included.

/ Kubota B2910 #3  
Price wise it sounds like a good deal, when you factor inthe mower and collection system. And at 66 hours it is barely broken in. Probably had it first service at 50 hrs.This is the tractor of choice for a lot of the little organic farms here in this area. Its small and maneauverable, yet has the power to turn a 60" Tiller. You didn't mention how much area you have to finish mow. But it sounds like this tractor is already set up really well for that. It also sounds like you have a lot of unimproved land that you may or may not develop in the future. From a horsepower stand point, you are looking at a good middle range size. Physically it may be a little lightweight. The FEL may be a limiting factor here. If you do a search here on TBN in the Kubota Forums you will find a lot of info on the 2910. Some good aternatives for your applications might be the Kubota L3010, which is the next frame size up. And the New Holland TC29D or TC33D.

Good luck on your search.

/ Kubota B2910 #4  
the price sounds ok. and the tractor will do all u want but might take a bit longer to do. have u looke at the L series? i guess it really comes down to what u want to do most of the time.

/ Kubota B2910
Thanks for all of the replies. As a short follow on we are also in the process of setting up stalls in a barn to get back into the horse world and are looking at this as a tool for use in there also. That loader with a hay spear on it will work with the 500 pound round bales which will beat the square ones with a pair of gloves route. The 6 or so acres will probably not all be tilled at once as we will stagger the stuff going in. As for the snow blowing.... we live in Eastern North Dakota and from what I remember from the last time I lived here about 10 years ago after some blizzards we had drifts covering the pickup truck so the snow blower is gonna get a work out.

Once again thanks for the information.

Ron

/ Kubota B2910 #6  
Ron, if you really need to move round bales of hay, check carefully before buying a 2910. FEL lift capacity is about 880 pounds, but that's at the bucket. If you put a hay spear on and have the bale farther out in front, that capacity is going to be lower. Now I don't know what kind of baler is baling those round bales, but I don't think I've seen any round bales of hay that weighed as little as 500 pounds; double to triple that amount is what I'm accustomed to. For the other jobs, that should be a fine tractor for your use, but for handling round bales, I'll be very surprised if you can do that with a 2910.

/ Kubota B2910 #7  
I'm with Bird, you might want to think about a heavier frome tractor like the Grand L series for not a whole lot more money. If you're tall like me they will be more comfortable too.

/ Kubota B2910
Farmers around here claim 1000 to 1500 pound round bales depending on moisture content of the hay. I don't know how they weigh them, I just take their word for it. I know that a Yamaha Grizzly can pull 2 of them on a wagon. (Bales, not farmers). /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif