Comparison JD 2520 Vs Mahindra 2516

/ JD 2520 Vs Mahindra 2516 #1  

scoobysmak

Well I did a search for these two tractors and nothing was found so figured I would post my question/problem. Just for some background about me, I have no experience with any thing but a normal lawn mower. I think I got some of the abbreviations correct but I still don't know what MMM means. I also am trying to learn the lingo as well like John Deere = JD = green, what orange, red, and blue mean is spray paint (as I read more I might have a better clue)

Currently have:
I currently have a JD 214 ridding lawn mower and like it but I am starting to have fuel problems (think 10% ethanol is eating up my carb parts). I might just spend the money to fix it but I might also need a bit bigger setup and this may be a good time to do it.

Plans for use:
Use #1. At this moment I need this tractor to mow about a 3/4 of an acre about every 2 weeks around my home. The yard is mainly level but does have a natural spring so 4WD is a must in case my yard "springs a leak".

Use #2. I also have property about 45 min from me that is 2.8 acres, most of this is being mowed for hay but have about 1/2 an acre under some trees that he won't cut (this needs to get mowed once a month). I need to bring in some dirt and then level this area so I can mow underneath the trees. The trees are about 20ft apart and most of them are in a row but two start a second row. These trees are about 30 years old and don't really have any branches hanging down below 10ft and probably about 3-5 ft in diameter each. The tree roots stick up out of the ground and even a normal mower has problems with all the holes and roots. To compound my problem on this property, last year when diesel fuel got so high he quit cutting because he was loosing money doing it Vs just buying hay (he cuts quite a few lots in the area so it wasn't just me with a problem). The rest of the 2.8 acres that is clear will be pretty easy, slight incline but I would say about 20ft in elevation for 200 ft in distance. He has started to mow again but just thinking what if it happens again.

Use #3. My father passed away about 2 years ago and left me and my bother with 7 acres of mainly field land. It does have a house on it but the neighbors have been cutting the hay for us for at least 20 years. He cuts our field for free to feed to his cattle. I know one day he won't be around to do it and we will probably be in a pinch to get this done, until we can find someone else. This field is pretty flat except for one end it has a really step section. I would say for 200ft of forward travel to have about 75 ft of elevation (I guess this would be roughly a 35% grade). The other complication to this is it will take me about 4 hours of interstate driving to get there. I might want to make hay myself but haven't seen anything but a hay tedder for a tractor my size (this size tractor probably won't do the job is my guess)

As you see with all the uses I would probably pick a belly mower that I could easily remove for ground clearance when spreading dirt for use number 2. I will need a Front end loader and a box spreader. I would also look at a wood chipper if this meant all the fallen branches I have I could just chip up to make wood chips as mulch around my house (not sure how big the chips are).

With all that being said I am looking for an all around good tractor. I have not really looked into any other brands but John Deere or Mahindra. If there are other suggestions please let me know.

My main qualities are:
1. Can it mow a normal yard and still look good, I also understand I won't be quite as nibble as a ridding mower (yes a bit of overkill but once I sell this home I can build on the 2.8 acres)
2. Enough power to get the jobs done but nibble and light enough to travel with and maneuver around trees (I have a truck that can pull just about anything but I would have to get a trailer if I go over 2700LBS cause mine won't cut it after that, yeah I know probably looking at a trailer too).
2. Prefer it to be diesel and 4WD
3. What other attachments can I get later and how easy can I remove them, both can take a back hoe but I only see a chipper for the John Deere, my attachments don't have to be the same brand but just reliable (I would have said the same about the tractor but it seems most brands are about the same and the dealer makes the most difference from what I have seen here) If there is a site I can view to see what attachments are made for Mahindra or any other brand please let me know. Mahindra only had 3 listed on their website (a BH, belly mower, and FEL). John Deere has more than 50 attachments to pick from. I really need a box spreader or something I can level the dirt with after I fill in the holes (I know it has to be made but haven't found it).

My Picks so far and why:
John Deere 2320/2520:
I was looking at the 2305 but it seemed like a pain to remove the belly mower for doing some task over rough areas. The 2320/2520 has a belly mower with a 3 step process to remove, just drive over it and hook up. There are more attachments for the 2520 VS the 2320 but not sure if I would need them.

Today I went by Mahindra, they seemed like a pretty nice design and according to the specs can lift more than the JD (even the 2520) and it cost way less.

Something I have no idea abut is a category 1 hitch with check chains, what is this????

I am open to suggestions and would like to stay under a 25k limit with attachments if possible.

Thanks for reading my book; if you need any more info please don't hesitate to ask.

/ JD 2520 Vs Mahindra 2516 #2  
CAT1 with check chains means that the rear equipment attachment and lift system is standard and you can buy attachments almost anywhere that will fit it. The 2516 tractor is made for Mahindra by Mitsubishi of Japan. The engineering and durability on the Mitsubishi made tractors is second to none, as are most of the Japanese made tractors on the market.

/ JD 2520 Vs Mahindra 2516 #3  
I would say, given your knowledge of tractors, that you should spend a lot more time test driving different makes/models and reading as much as you can before making that purchase. The 2 tractors you have singled out are nice, but there are many others to choose from. You can get a lot of tractor and/or attachments within your budget.

Given that you are looking at towing the tractor, keep in mind tractor weight. Bigger tractors mean bigger equipment to haul them. That said, I think you are in the right size category of machines. Also consider a rear mount mower, easier on/off and cheaper to buy.

I'd stay away from CAT0 3PH (JD2305); just too small and not as versatile. CAT1 would be a requirement. Telescopic 3PH arms are a good option to have, as are rear remotes.

Your tree roots: Covering them with dirt may not help, unless you can keep them watered. Notwithstanding that some trees naturally do this (e.g. silver maples), roots come to the surface during dry spells in search of water. Adding dirt too deep can also kill some trees.

Haying will require a big investment in equipment, and a bigger tractor. I don't think you want to do that yourself.