Buying Advice New or used??? Same price!! Brands???

/ New or used??? Same price!! Brands??? #1  

Looney Bin Manager

Ok, this tractor shopping is driving me nuts! This not so much about one brand being better than the other, however it is about two brands that I have narrowed down to. This is my first tractor, so I don't have any real experience with different brands.

I am looking at a couple of used Kubota's and a new LS. Both are about the same as far as specs, FEL, 30 horse, same gears and so on.

All the tractors will do what I want to do, so here's the question. Now, is a Kubota, with 250 to 300 hours, from 4 to 5 years old, no warranty, better than a brand new LS Tractor with a 5 year warranty? All three of the these are almost the same price. I usually am a advocate of only buying used vehicles at a cheaper than new price. In this situation the prices are the same. (This will be a cash deal)

I have no brand preference, not hung up on green, orange or blue, just want to make the best decision on the deal. I know that comparing a new Kubota to a new LS would be a different issue and the price of a new Kubota would rule me out due to budget alone.

Hope I'm not rehashing an old subject. I went all through the board to find something but didn't see anything.

Thanks for any help.

/ New or used??? Same price!! Brands??? #2  
If I was faced with the decision, I would probably by the Kubota. (I was and did.) But, by no means do I know it all.

/ New or used??? Same price!! Brands??? #3  
Lots to consider here. If you were absolutely stuck on one brand, say Deere or Kubota, then most folks make it happen. They work with their budget and/or financing deals and either get a new one, slightly downsized, to make the money work, or a larger model, slightly used, for the same money. That's how it works.

If being new is more important than brand, then folks go shopping for what their budgeted amount of money can buy. Red,Blue,Orange,Green,the other blue, the other orange, the other red, etc. In this method, the new part is essential to their line of thinking.

So, either A.) you pick a brand and go shopping, new or used, within that budget.
Or, you B.) take your funds and shopping for new, being color blind, and see how much tractor you can buy with that amount.

So, which do you prefer? Plan A or Plan B?

/ New or used??? Same price!! Brands??? #4  
I agree a little more info would help us give good advice. Where are you located? Sometimes things are much higher regionally.
What are you actually looking to buy? We might be able to tell you if the price is reasonable. It's a buyers market and if you have cash you can probably get a good deal.
What are you looking to do with your tractor maybe we can help you fine tune your tractor choice. How many hours you plan to use it a year?

I would also consider dealers. This would allow you to gauge dealer support if you should have an issue or need parts. I think you're seeing some of the reason people buy Kubotas increased value at resale. Like others have mentioned it also depends if you are pretty handy if something goes wrong. Also another reason the dealer is important.

My vote is for the Kubota.

/ New or used??? Same price!! Brands??? #5  
Since all the major brands make quality machines, I think you can ask yourself which tractor do you like better? If you have not already done so, go drive the machines, try the FEL. Do you have a preference for the setup of the controls, seat comfort, do you prefer the operation of the loader joystick of one vs the other, engine smoothness, etc? What is the overall condition of the Kubota? 300hrs is not much if it has not been abused. Does the Kubota look like new or does the paint and sheetmetal look beat up? Is this important to you? You should drive both machines to find your likes and dislikes, assess the condition of the used machine, if they are at different dealers then evaluate how you feel about each dealer (the quality/helpfulness of the dealer can be very important for many), evaluate the importance of the new warranty to yourself (how big of a deal is it for you to do a bit of wrenching on the off chance you might need to). Make a list of all these factors (mental or on paper) decide on the relative importance of each and from there you can make the decision that is hopefully best for you. If you are new to tractors, don't underestimate the importance of the dealer. Odds are you will need some advice/assistance down the road even if you never have a mechanical problem with the machine.

/ New or used??? Same price!! Brands???
Thanks for input so far, and you guys have already answered one of my questions and that is, I wasn't missing some obvious answer such as "of course buy a Kutota!!!" More to it than that.

Ok, now for more details. Didn't want to load up the first post.

I have 10 acres. 2 or so is already developed with a house and drive. Need to work the rest. Will need dirt work, FEL and box blade. Working on a back road. Will need a bushhog and a land rake for more clearing. I have a couple of dozen downed "Katrina" trees that still need dragging off. Also I will be doing some ongoing clearing and landscaping, nothing real big on the clearing. Later I plan on about an acre of garden.

For what I am thinking of doing I seemed to have narrowed down to a compact size at least 30 horse 4wd. I really don't want a very large tractor even if it was a great deal. I have to be able to put it on my dump trailer, 6'10 x 14'.

Ok, now the tractor facts: I'm located in Hattiesburg, MS. As far as dealers go I think I have everyone there is located here. 6 maybe 7 different dealers.
The new LS is the 3010 with a front end loader. 4wd, R4 tires, 29 hp. Asking price is $13,000.
The first Kubota is a L2800 gear shift, 4wd, loader, 2005, 250 hrs, includes 5 ft bushhog, aggr tires. Well kept under cover, looks almost new. Private seller wants $12,500.
The second Kubota is a 3130, gear shift, 4wd, loader, 2006, 300 hrs, R4 tires, I think he keeps it in his living room, great condition, Private seller wants $13,000.

LS dealer seems good, the Kubota dealer was good to talk to about tractors also. I would call it a wash as far as one over another.

As far as mechanics, I usually do all my own work, however I haven't really worked on a tractor.

So this is what I'm faced with, three tractors, all at my max budget, new with a warranty, or like new, known good quality, but no warranty. I know the LS is a bare bones tractor and doesn't really compare with the Kubota's if new to new. It does meet my minimums although. The Kubota's would be considered to be full of extras I suppose.

thanks again for all your help with this, if I need to fill in any more gaps let me know.

/ New or used??? Same price!! Brands??? #7  
Since both Kubotas are gear and the LS is Shuttle? It might even come down to the trans in your decision making. Is this important to you?

/ New or used??? Same price!! Brands??? #8  
Maybe you should ask Farmtrac owners if they'd buy their Farmtrac again?

Lesser known manufacturers/distributors offer a lot of value. The other side of the coin is there is a lot of risk.
If a buyer doesn't depend on that tractor for their livelihood, the risk may be justified. If someone (non-agricultural user) buys a tractor for the long term, that extra few thousand will be justified by service and parts availability 10-20 years hence.

So, Looney Bin Manager needs to determine if he wants to gamble that LS will be in the American market in a few years...or go with a more proven Kubota (which was in LS' position 15 years ago).
Sooner or later, someone will chime in about how big a company LS is. So is FIAT, but they abandoned the US market years ago (they do own Case-New Holland and may own an interest in Chrysler soon...but they were out of the US market for many years).

Personally, I'd go for the Kubota over the LS.

/ New or used??? Same price!! Brands??? #9  
I don't think the price is bad on either Kubota. I would have some reservations about the other tractor. In 5 years what will it be worth, especially if the local dealer no longer carries them. The 10 year old Kubota will still be worth some money and you will be able to get parts for it. I think either Kubota would be a good choice. Does either have the Skid Steer Quick Attach for the loader bucket. Otherwise flip a coin between the two.

On a side note that trailer will be tight for the tractors, as it is you will probably have to hang the loader bucket over the front. With anything on the back I don't think you will be able to close the doors. My l3940 with the bush hog is 25 feet overall.

/ New or used??? Same price!! Brands??? #10  
My first choice would be the Kubota Grand L 3130 ( nice tractors and features)
My second choice would be the LS 3010
Last would be the L-2800 Kubota.