Considering Bobcat CT225 - 235 (2008 v. 2010)

/ Considering Bobcat CT225 - 235 (2008 v. 2010) #1  

vwkismet

I have 56 mostly wooded acres on which I have some trails. My house is on about 3 cleared acres. I probably have about an acre of grass that I will keep mowing with a smallish lawn tractor. Our gravel driveway is about 500' long.

I want to use the tractor to clear trails, put in some fruit trees (including bringing in some fill to level out the area around them), and plow the driveway - probably with a back blade. Ideally I would like a backhoe to help clear the trails of small rocks and stumps (anywhere from a couple inches to 6 inches in diameter). I also have a powerline right of way crossing my property that I may brush hog some day. I would also like to get a chipper (something like the Wallenstein BX 42).

I have been looking at a lot of CUTs, including Kubota, JD, Kioti, and Bobcat. I have been leaning toward the Bobcat because of the price, size, and the dealer.

Here are my quotes on the Bobcat line:
2008 CT225 = 15,000 (no quick-attach loader)
2008 CT230 = 16,200 (quick attach)
2010 CT225 = 18,000
2010 CT230 = 18,500
2010 CT 235 = 19,000

I was told that all of these tractors will come with a $2943 rebate on the free loader deal if I pay cash. I was also told that Bobcat is going to start an additional $750 rebate in April (dealer wasn't sure if cash/finance mattered).

I know these prices forgo the backhoe option for now - I would have to get things ready in the woods and rent one some day. I don't know how much extra the backhoe would be, but one Kioti dealer quoted me about $5100 for the smaller one - not sure if it would fit on the Bobcat or not.

So, here are my questions!
1) Am I going too small - especially if I get the 2008 CT 225? This is mostly driven by cost - I don't think I can afford to go to a bigger series. But, am I crazy to think the smaller tractor will do I what I really want the potential digging and chipping?

2) Anyone have thoughts on those prices? When I think about a 2008 CT225 costing $11,307 or the 2008 CT230 for $12,507 it seems awfully good! (I don't foresee taking the loader off much so the lack of quick attach may not matter too much.)

3) Any noticeable differences between the 2008 and 2010 models?

4) This may offend some, but is there any reason to buy a Kioti over a Bobcat if they are essentially the same tractor? My theory is that Bobcat is a huge name in other similar products and it seems like there is no chance they are going away. Kioti? Probably not, but for the same price why even take the chance?

Thanks so much for the help.

Michael in NH

/ Considering Bobcat CT225 - 235 (2008 v. 2010) #2  
Local Kioti dealer quoted $15,500 for a 2008 leftover Kioti CK30 HST (comparable to the CT230) with non-QA loader bucket. Responses I got in my thread in the Kioti forum indicate this wasn't a great price. They had another 2008 with the QA-loader bucket for $1000 more.

I understand Bobcat's warranty is 2-years/2000 hours and Kioti's warranty is 4-years with 2-years of that bumper-to-bumper.

/ Considering Bobcat CT225 - 235 (2008 v. 2010)
Local Kioti dealer quoted $15,500 for a 2008 leftover Kioti CK30 HST (comparable to the CT230) with non-QA loader bucket. Responses I got in my thread in the Kioti forum indicate this wasn't a great price. They had another 2008 with the QA-loader bucket for $1000 more.

I understand Bobcat's warranty is 2-years/2000 hours and Kioti's warranty is 4-years with 2-years of that bumper-to-bumper.

Thanks John. I was also quoted about $15,500 for a CK30HST w/QA loader, but the rep implied that I would not also get the free FEL. (I am trying to clarify that.) Obviously the warranty on the Kioti could make the difference if the price is the same.

/ Considering Bobcat CT225 - 235 (2008 v. 2010) #4  
1) Am I going too small - especially if I get the 2008 CT 225? This is mostly driven by cost - I don't think I can afford to go to a bigger series. But, am I crazy to think the smaller tractor will do I what I really want the potential digging and chipping?

2) Anyone have thoughts on those prices? When I think about a 2008 CT225 costing $11,307 or the 2008 CT230 for $12,507 it seems awfully good! (I don't foresee taking the loader off much so the lack of quick attach may not matter too much.)

3) Any noticeable differences between the 2008 and 2010 models?

4) This may offend some, but is there any reason to buy a Kioti over a Bobcat if they are essentially the same tractor? My theory is that Bobcat is a huge name in other similar products and it seems like there is no chance they are going away. Kioti? Probably not, but for the same price why even take the chance?

1. Some have complained about the lack of power from the CT225. I have steep hills and a CT230 and it does better than I expected. Would I prefer a CT235...Yes... I have a Goosen chipper shredder attached to my machine and its scary powerfull. Overall I find the CT230 very capable. I don't have a backhoe though.

2. Last year there was a free FEL and a $3500 rebate. I paid 12,255 for a CT230 with dual rear remotes, FEL 68" quicktach bucket, mid pto, brush guard and PHD with 15" auger. However it took 6 months for delivery and they delivered a 2010 model... Will anyone get another deal like that... not likely. Somewhere on the board I did see someone get a CT230 (2008 model) for $10,250, another one go for $9500 (with 30 hours on it). All phenomenal (cash) deals not likely to be repeated.

3. The paint color of the frame components /dash area .. its a grey/black for the 2010's and closer to a black for the 2008's (if I'm not mistaken) and maybe no horn on the 2008's? The bundled option packages are also different.

4. Yes. Kioti has the better warranty, and the FEL has a higher rated lifting capacity. The most important thing to consider is the dealer. For future support/service that is critical. In my case the local Bobcat dealer really has little experience with tractors. Most of the Kioti dealers have been well established. They are the same machine made in the same Korean factory except the attachments and paint. Bobcat uses Rhino for it's FEL, BH, PHD. If Kioti goes away after you buy one... take it to the Bobcat dealer...or vice versa. Most dealers are happy to have your business and your money.

If you decide to get a hoe then I would go for a machine with the highest horsepower in the frame size you want. The resale value will likely be better for a higher HP machine as well.

Steve

/ Considering Bobcat CT225 - 235 (2008 v. 2010) #5  
There appears to be all kinds of shenanigans in regards to the free loader. The $15,500 price was after asking about the free-loader. The price before that was $16,700. $1200 for a loader?

My understanding is you can get the free loader or 0% financing from Kioti. I know Bobcat is doing a free loader promotion and financing also, but not sure of the particulars.

/ Considering Bobcat CT225 - 235 (2008 v. 2010) #6  
The best deal is the 2008 CT230. But, the CT225 should have adequate power. I run a Bushhog brand CS100-P (rebadged Goossen) chipper capable of up to 5" on my CK25. Runs great. More than enough power. The mowing, and size of the mower will be the task that pushes the HP metric. Given that mowing is a primary task, the HST tranny would push me to at least the 30 HP model (mine is gear for that reason), if I had these choices.

HP is meaningless for backhoe work. All of them will perform the same since they all have the same hydraulic pumps.

Quick Attach isn't about taking the loader off. It's about changing the bucket for some other type of attachment like a plow blade, fork lifts, or grapple. Of course, you could just take the bucket off instead of the whole loader and gain some addition front clearance. The whole loader does come off pretty easy. QA is a good thing. Wish I had it.

I have a Rhino backhoe on my CK. Works good. But, I think you are looking at closer to $7K for BH attachment, especially if you buy later. If you plan on a backhoe, get the rear remotes now if you can (and get 2 sets of remotes if you can swing the extra cost). Don't let them plumb it any other way. Big foot pads are also nice, and kind of a necessity. Get the dealer to throw them in with the BH.

Get loaded tires, and go ag if you will be working in the mud.

/ Considering Bobcat CT225 - 235 (2008 v. 2010) #7  
I purchased a CT 230 last year and have been very pleased with it. All I have done so far is move snow and lug wood in the bucket and on a rear carryall. I believe that the earlier nodel CT 225 was 25 hp and now has a 27 hp engine. I have read some complaints about power, which seems to be from the 25 hp model. My 230 seems to have plenty of power and I rarely run it over 2000 rpm.

Hope this info is helpful and good luck on the price hunt,

Paul