Dealerships With Attitude

/ Dealerships With Attitude #11  
In all fairness the one that gave me the attitude sold both green and orange. Now they sell orange and blue and yellow but no green. Asa matter of fact I dont know who sells green around here at all. Maybe they did me a favor

/ Dealerships With Attitude #12  
I think that, as stated by others, that a successful dealer has to respond to customer needs and questions as they develop. The salesman needs to be a positive, likeable personality. If the customer feels that their purchase of the tractor is important to the dealer and that the dealer has addressed their concerns, the customer will likely buy from that dealer. It's not difficult for a GOOD salesperson to determine what is important to the customer and follow through to make the sale.

That said, the Service Department will determine whether the customer returns for a repeat sale and additional merchandise. Again, a positive attitude maintained by the service department and QUALITY service are going to keep a customer.

It's a continual mystery to me that businesses don't understand or care about these VERY simple, very basic tenets to operating a successful business. Unbelievable, really.

/ Dealerships With Attitude #13  
Some observations I developed over the years when I was in business:

1) Acknowledge every customer that walks in the door.
2) Tell them you will be with them right away.
3) Ask questions--find their needs. Offer to help in any way possible.
4) Know your product.
5) Be honest. If you can't answer the question--get the correct answer.
6) Realize the smallest purchase leads to bigger purchases.
7) Never bad mouth your competitors.
8) After the sale--give service,service & more service.
9) Make them happy that they came through the door.
10) SMILE

/ Dealerships With Attitude #14  
you tell them what you want and then their phone rings "i be right back with you" and they spend 10 min on the phone. I don't understand, i there with money in hand and your going to go answer questions on the phone.

That is a universal problem. Salesmen and customer service folks really don't get it. Whether you have money in your hand or not, you made the effort to visit them, so how is it a phone call instantly becomes more important? Sometimes their job/position forces them to do a bit of multitasking, but they could often handle it a bit better.

They could easily say, 'sorry, I have to answer these calls', then tell the caller they are with another customer at the moment.

Machinery dealer and horse trader do have a lot in common :D
Dave.

/ Dealerships With Attitude #15  
I have 5 dealers of every color within a 20 mile radius (farm country)...was buying my first tractor and went to each dealer to see what I could get for my money...the only dealer who seemed interested in helping me get the right machine for the right money with the right attachments for my needs was a small, family run business about 10 miles away. There are no salesman or parts people, per se, at this place...anyone available will jump in to help do whatever...all brothers, sisters, uncles and cousins kind of place...they each know their product line and if they don't have the correct answer it's "Hey, so and so, come here a minute...got a question for you". They had me try out the machine I decided on at their place and once it seemed I was comfortable, they brought it out to my place for the weekend...they never got it back...SOLD! When I go in for parts or whatever I'm always greeted by name, given a cup of coffee, "what have you been up to? Machine treating you alright?" Last time I saw the guy whom I "technically" purchased my tractor from, he was elbow deep in grease on a Saturday morning helping repair a local farmer's tractor that had broken down and he needed it ASAP. About 6 months after purchasing mine, I casually mentioned that I could have gotten the same package at the other dealer about 20 miles away for $450 less, but bought from them because they just "felt right". Low and behold within 2 weeks they called and said bring my truck, they have something for me...brand new shiny, white canopy for my balding head. They have earned a lifetime customer. And yes, the orange dealer wouldn't give me the time of day...actually ended up leaving there kind of angry because of the condescending attitude.

/ Dealerships With Attitude #16  
Sounds off the wall, but I think age has something to do with it. Walk into any kind of dealer, car or tractor when you are 26, you are a lot more likely to be ignored than when you are 45. I never really had trouble when I was buying a tractor, but I did with cars and mainly when I was younger.

The reason I bought Kubota was the dearler steered me into the machine I really needed. The John Deere dealer was helpfull, but didn't really ask what I was doing with it. The Kubota dealer told me what I needed, by making suggestions, and he was correct.

/ Dealerships With Attitude #17  
This is not a boast,but I have found that because of my before hand research I am usually more knowledgeable about their product,then they are. It is refreshing to find a salesman that actually knows his product,that is very unusual. Seriously I do not think most of them have ever used a tractor in a work situation. I am also old enough(or have enough experience)to realize when they are giving me the run around. When I first look,I have read and studied the product and now I want to physically inspect it. Most of these salesman are like warts,you can not get rid of them. When I am ready to talk business I am perfectly able to get them. I also do not like being given B.S. ,in other words given some way out of sight price,when I already know what list is and what a decent discount should be,or some off the wall statement about how much better their tractor is then a competitor.(That usually turns me off) I like to look at their service area,if its neat and clean then I can probably expect decent service,because I can see their pride showing. I also go in knowing what my tractor is worth(if I am trading) when a dealer cuts up my tractor or really gives me a lo-ball price for it,they have just lost a sale. Honesty is best,at the first sign I suspect a dealer is less then honest I am gone. There is one dealer on this sight,I have been to his dealership,I would buy nothing from him,he constantly attacks other brands,and just comes off to me as a bad salesman. He would be better served to just post the good things about his products and leave our intelligence to decide on the others.

/ Dealerships With Attitude #18  
In reading all the responses thus far, it is very obvious that the main thing a customer wants is to be greeted when walking into the store, even if it is just a "Hi, give me a minute and I will be right with you". Seems to be a huge lack of that in the tractor world for reasons I can't come up with.

Others said it is lack of knowledge and/or thinking their tractor is best. Those comments made a light bulb come on in my head. I do believe I will change my tactics when I walk into the next shop. I will have a simple thing to tell the salesman, which is "I'm in your store, now it is up to you to sell me a tractor and tell me why I should".

I will be buying a tractor within the next month, and no matter which color I choose it's going to be up to the store to sell me one, not play games. If they choose not to do that, I will just walk away and go to the next place.

/ Dealerships With Attitude #19  
I have a good dealer, and have a good repoire with the sales people.
:)

I hope to keep them in business. I don't play one dealer against another. By doing my research before I go there, I'm already interested and willing to listen to what the sales people want to tell me. They don't run down other brands, nor do I to get the answers I want.
I don't take their time with idle talk.
I've a friend who spends his idle time visiting dealers (cars, trucks as well as farm equipment) with the main purpose to entertain himself and try to trick the sales people (guess that makes him feel superior or something). This guy is a shyster and most car, truck, and tractor dealers don't even like to see him walk into the door. He has a 40 year history of screwing all of them over in past deals.
That might be off the subject, but it will give a dealer an attitude that the rest of us have to put up with. These dealers and sales people run into all kinds. Most are window shopping and no intention to buy. Just looking and talking.
I still like to be acknowledged when I go into a dealer, and asked how I am and if they can help. I don't like to be followed around the store if I'm just looking. However, I don't like to be interrupted by their telephone either. :)
No one answer, IMO. The sales people are human, and they range from great to not as great. There are a few who really stand out in a crowd.

/ Dealerships With Attitude #20  
"It's a continual mystery to me that businesses don't understand or care about these VERY simple, very basic tenets to operating a successful business. Unbelievable, really."

After having experienced "all of the above and worse" with these dealers, this expresses my feeling EXACTLY.

You would think that a large company like, say, John Deere, would have some kind of program to educate their dealers about basic customer service techniques.

I can only assume that they're making enough money that losing sales due to this kind of stuff doesn't matter.

Here's a pet peeve of mine: Even with the "good" dealers I've found, i.e., the ones that seem to mean well and want to help, salesmen will still will say things like "Sorry I can't figure out how to order _____ for your 2520, I usually sell combines".