Dealerships With Attitude

/ Dealerships With Attitude #21  
When I decided to buy a CUT, I had Kubota on the top of my "eyeball" list. When I walked in, the parts guy at the counter was napping. Said I wanted to talk to someone about a tractor. He yelled for a salesman. Salesman came out, seemingly annoyed. After a short conversation, I asked to go outside and look at the machine (MX4700). Salesman reluctantly followed. Prce? No effort to obtain a quote. It was crystal clear I was annoying everyone with my presence.

Left, went by Bobcat dealer. Amazing difference. Very helpful, nice, and ballpark figures were followed up with an emailed quote. I'm in process of buying the Bobcat CT445.

In my case, it isn't a brand loyalty issue, it is a customer/dealer relationship issue.

I think the good dealers assume that everyone walking in the door is *potentially* a buyer. Seems simple and obvious, but apparently rare.

/ Dealerships With Attitude #22  
actually this isn't a one size fit all question, that can't even be answered by one size fit all answer either.

In reality, no matter where I walk in, tractor dealer, car shop, realtor office,etc... When I walk in, I would like to be greeted a hello to be acknowledged I walked in, but many times I DO NOT need to be hounded. If I want service, I'll ask where service desk or look around and walk there. If I see a salesperson free but want to browse, give me a few before you start hounding.

In reality, you need too be a people person, and if you have no knowledge or have filtered the questions and come upon one that you don't know the answer to, show me that you got a go to guy and get the answer for me. A go to guy is a must regardless of attitude. The people person can deal with the nasty attitude for me just to get the answer for me and be a third party moderator for me if needed.

That is service in my eyes. I realize that no matter where you go, you are going to get smart,knowledgeable people, but have no people skills. HIRE ONE THEN!!!!!!!

/ Dealerships With Attitude #23  
I realize that no matter where you go, you are going to get smart,knowledgeable people, but have no people skills. HIRE ONE THEN!!!!!!!

Yes, exactly! The owner of the dealership really sets the tone for the sales and service staff. Where I bought the tractor, the owner has sales meetings and emphasizes that the customer comes first and the job of all the employees is to serve the customers needs. Needless to say, they all do the utmost to make sure the customer is happy. My salesman sets the standard for customer service, drove 3 hours, each way (on a Sunday), to exchange a damaged PTO shaft cover.

Needless to say, they meet and exceed their monthly sales goals while other dealers are going out of business. Not hard to figure out why!:thumbsup:

/ Dealerships With Attitude #24  
When I wanted to buy a quality weedeater, I went to a lawn guy who sells quite a few brands including Stihl and Echo. I told him what my needs were and my budget, then asked what he recomended. He said Echo, and then explained to me the differences. It was very educational and that's what I ended up buying. A few months later, I decided that it was time to buy a quality chainsaw, so I went back to the same guy and told him what I would use it for and what I wanted to spend. This time he said that Stihl would be the best choice. I did this again for a small chainsaw with similar results. When I wanted to buy a zero turn mower, I saved him for last and went to all the other dealers in the area. None really stood out or went to allot of effort to tell me about their product. That dealer has several brands to choose from, but Skag is what he recomended, and what I ended up buying. I'm going there again either next week or the week after to buy a pruning chainsaw to get those high up branches that are hanging in my way while I to mow. I had a Poulon Pro that was OK, but is now toast. This time I'm wanting quality and will pay a bit more for that. I don't know what I'll buy, but more than likely, it will be what the guy at that same store recomends to me.

He's not the friendliest guy, he doesn't come out right away to greet you, but when he does come up to you, he's honest, straight forward and he knows his products. I'd much rather have that then anything else from a salesman.

Eddie

/ Dealerships With Attitude #25  
1) I expect and hope a dealer thinks THEIR COLOR is "the best".

2) A dealer should be EASILY and quickly able to explain WHY their color is superior (and NOT where the other colors are weak).

3) BE HONEST. If your product is not well-suited for MY particular application, have the quevos to say so and suggest what might work.

4) Be FAIR. Everyone works to make a buck, ME TOO! The dealer NEEDS to be profitable, or they will fold, what possible good is that?

I think the biggest problem right now, at least with the ORANGE models, is that the models change so fast and what works with what or doesn't changes each year it seems. I'd tear my hair out trying to keep track of it all.

Also, with the economy that way it is, I *suspect* a lot of the very knowledgable sales people have retired or left for jobs with a steady income. This would leave only the "n00bs" or actual owners left, not an ideal solution.

/ Dealerships With Attitude #26  
1) I expect and hope a dealer thinks THEIR COLOR is "the best".

2) A dealer should be EASILY and quickly able to explain WHY their color is superior (and NOT where the other colors are weak).

3) BE HONEST. If your product is not well-suited for MY particular application, have the quevos to say so and suggest what might work.

4) Be FAIR. Everyone works to make a buck, ME TOO! The dealer NEEDS to be profitable, or they will fold, what possible good is that?

I think the biggest problem right now, at least with the ORANGE models, is that the models change so fast and what works with what or doesn't changes each year it seems. I'd tear my hair out trying to keep track of it all.

Also, with the economy that way it is, I *suspect* a lot of the very knowledgable sales people have retired or left for jobs with a steady income. This would leave only the "n00bs" or actual owners left, not an ideal solution.
Very well stated response...makes a lot of sense.

/ Dealerships With Attitude #27  
I think there are dealers that have the best business desires serving there good customers and also there bad customers, and those dealers will be sucessful in selling any color tractor of good quality.
To serve the customer means more then what has already been written about in the above posts, it also means to go the extra mile to correct an error, big or small. The customer will not forget how they were treated and will tell all of their friends about the good, the bad, and the ugly dealers.
As a customer, I just require to be treated good and in return, I do not shop price from one dealer to another. Everyone can make a mistake, but it takes character to express that mistake and to correct it (that goes for the customer also). The good dealers will have his customer numbers grow year after year with new customers and also with there repeat customers.
Good thread subject. :D KC

/ Dealerships With Attitude #28  
been checking in from my fone lately so its a pain to look at all replies so i'll just say what they say in my industry: be nice to everybody cause you never know who'll b your boss.

/ Dealerships With Attitude #29  
Quick dealership story as told by my Grandfather:

In the typical Mississippi 1950痴 town an old man that did odd jobs like plowing gardens with a mule, yard work, etc. The old guy didn稚 have a truck and went to the local Chevy dealership and asked to test drive the best truck they had. The salesman told him he couldn稚 afford the truck. Same story at the Dodge dealership. He went to the Ford dealership and was allowed to drive a truck. When he returned to the dealership he pulled a role of hundred dollar bills from his pocket and paid the asking price without haggling. Point of the story the golden rule applies to sales and can lead to gold for the smart salesperson.

/ Dealerships With Attitude #30  
What really bugs me is when a sales person forever takes phone calls when I'm there to spend money.
(OK, an occasional urgent call is acceptable but not constant to the point that 75-80% of my time is watching him on his phone)
I have more than once asked if I should sit in my car and call on my cell!

PS; worst offenders are auto parts counter staff!
I once told a parts guy that he should have a light on his forhead to indicate he is on the phone.

YES, can I help you? No not you, I'm talking on phone! DUH, I'm to guess? Heck he's looking at me, not at a phone...