Looking for a 25ish hp with 5-6 ft cutter

/ Looking for a 25ish hp with 5-6 ft cutter #1  

JohnEd

suggestions? will mostly be used to mow a three acre field...and deer lease use. I have been borrowing a 45 hp kubota w/ 6 ft cutter...

/ Looking for a 25ish hp with 5-6 ft cutter #2  
Hey John,

Welcome to TBN. I've moved this thread to the buying/pricing/comparisons section where you will get more responses.

As for the tractor, what is your budget? Are you just looking for the tractor and cutter or other attachments as well?

/ Looking for a 25ish hp with 5-6 ft cutter #3  
Three acres isn't much in terms of a tractor. I believe a 5 ft. cutter will do you fine if you want to keep your tractor in the 25HP range. General rule of thumb is 5 PTO HP per foot of mower.

/ Looking for a 25ish hp with 5-6 ft cutter #4  
I run a 5' cutter with a 26 hp (23 pto) tractor at a hunting lease. Keep in mind the weight of the tractor in that there are many 25ish hp tractors and the weight can vary greatly. You want a tractor heavy enough to handle the cutter of your choice.

/ Looking for a 25ish hp with 5-6 ft cutter #5  
It really depends on how much you want to spend and how quick you want to mow those three acres.
That said, I did a good job on about 3 acres with an old Deere 670 (16.5 PTO HP) with a 5' Land Pride cutter. It was slow going (more to do with the uneven and rutted land then the tractor's power).
When I went to the 790 (24 PTO HP) it went a bit faster and less bogging down in heavy brush. By that time, I was cutting about 5 acres. Of course, the ground was still uneven and rutted, so it was still slow going.

So, I can attest that a Deere 790 and a 5' cutter are a good match. Buying both used is probably going to put you in the 9-12 thousand dollars market. If you don't need a loader, you could get by with a 2WD tractor (but you will want front weights!!) which will probably keep you under $10K.

Last edited:
   / Looking for a 25ish hp with 5-6 ft cutter #6  
Assuming you are buying used:

JD 750, 755, 850, 855, 770, 790
Kubota 7510, 7610
Kioti CK25, CK27
MF 1500 series
TYM T273
NH/Fords
Mahindra

These are all good tractors. So, look for the "best buy" of these at the time when you are ready to buy.

/ Looking for a 25ish hp with 5-6 ft cutter #7  
If you're going to buy used, I would stick with JD, Kubota, MF or NH to assure parts availability in the future.

/ Looking for a 25ish hp with 5-6 ft cutter #8  
I recently bought a Mahindra 2816 4x4 with fel. Brought it home and hooked it to an old 5ft rotary cutter and mowed a 3 acre bottom. Took about 45 minutes. Paid $15,500 out the door including insurance and 48 months no interest.

/ Looking for a 25ish hp with 5-6 ft cutter #9  
If you're going to buy used, I would stick with JD, Kubota, MF or NH to assure parts availability in the future.

I bought a used Mahindra and expect to be able to buy parts for a while.

/ Looking for a 25ish hp with 5-6 ft cutter #10  
suggestions? will mostly be used to mow a three acre field...and deer lease use. I have been borrowing a 45 hp kubota w/ 6 ft cutter...

you looking for new or used?

if used, find a ford from 53-75 something in the naa,6xx,8xx,2000/3000 range. many can be had with a mower for 3500$ for the older 4 cyl models, and 4000-6000 for the 3 cyl models.

soundguy