Tractor Impaired gets seat time

/ Tractor Impaired gets seat time #1  

Anonymous Poster

Wow!

My next door neighbor let me use his tractor to mow my now 5ft (in spots) grass. First time ever using a tractor. Of course he's spoilin' me, as it's a Case 60hp machine pulling a 10ft cutter. Which is much bigger than i'll be able to afford. oh well. Dang that was fun. seein 10ft swaths of 5 ft grass go down like it was nothing was impressive. Hmm, makes me think I want a bigger/plainer machine vs a smaller/fancier machine.

/ Tractor Impaired gets seat time #2  
I see exactly what you mean DBrosius, I could see a use for both a compact and an ag tractor so I bought both!!! its a 1985 Ford 1310 and a 1968 IH434, they both run great ans were cheap ($12000.cdn forthe two). The compact is mainly used for logging since its 4x4 and narrower ,the 434 does pretty much everything else,it has a FEL and much more capable hydraulic pump.The 434 is only 40HP but can put to shame any compact when it comes to FEL work,mowing ,snow removal,tilling etc....Compacts clearly have their use but they ll never be able to compete in terms of productivity with the ag/utility.I suggest you look at those older diesel( say between 1965 and 1975), once you have clearly defined your needs. PTOnline

/ Tractor Impaired gets seat time #3  
That sounds like a good way of thinking. Maximize your bang for the buck, so to speak.

/ Tractor Impaired gets seat time #4  
A farmer buddy of mine told me the used market on the larger (50-100 HP) tractors was about the same as on the compacts because of the incredibly high demand for used compacts. I did a little price comparing and found a lot of truth in what he said. I was amazed at what $15,000-$20,000 would buy in a full size tractor. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

I see the same thing in my business, too. I can buy a used, mid-nineties semi tractor with good miles for the year, top line trim level, all the popular options (high roof 71" sleeper, aluminum wheels, chrome stacks, etc.) for about the same money as I'd pay for the same year Chevy 4x4 ext. cab Z-71 PU with the same level of trim and equipment. It's funny to see them side-by-side and know I paid the same for each of them. I know that's the market /w3tcompact/icons/clever.gif but it still just doesn't seem right. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif