Comparison 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors #11  
3005 is a Japan built Yanmar from what I understand

That's interesting to know, I looked at a 4005 and was kind of underwhelmed at the degree of "refinement" for lack of a better term. It's not what I typically expect to see from Deere.

Sometimes a global economy isn't great for the consumer.

I noticed that the Kubota I got was the same to a lesser degree, their quality control is slipping a bit too.

Chilly

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors #12  
Leave off one feature that the customer finds he needs, (since the companies are right that many of us just don't know which things are important until we actually try to use the product) and you will have an unhappy customer because that will bug him every time he uses your product.

I agree, what bothers me is that the tractor would be "perfect" if it had one more whatzit, or one feature that I really wanted. I wouldn't miss the extra hundred bucks to make it that way, but I do miss that function. Leaves a less than sweet taste in your mouth. Then again, I'm the one that decided I didn't need all the extra bells and whistles on the Grand L series.

In the end you compare prices, decide what you can afford, then look at which tractor in that price range best fits your needs with the least amount of compromise.

Chilly

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors #13  
I agree, what bothers me is that the tractor would be "perfect" if it had one more whatzit, or one feature that I really wanted. I wouldn't miss the extra hundred bucks to make it that way, but I do miss that function. Leaves a less than sweet taste in your mouth. Then again, I'm the one that decided I didn't need all the extra bells and whistles on the Grand L series.

In the end you compare prices, decide what you can afford, then look at which tractor in that price range best fits your needs with the least amount of compromise.

Chilly

Yes, still a tractor should be fully functional as advertised. Problems with the position control in early versions of your tractor is one thing, and the "quarter inching" on the smaller Kubotas is a joke for example. It doesn't exist at all above 1500 rpm which is kind of counter to the idea that hydros need to be run at the higher rpms to be efficient. To advertise that kind of thing......... and JD has theirs too, as a feature is just deceiving to the consumer.
I know I have brought this up before, and I'll try not to make a campaign over it, but the truth is that it scared the dickens out of me once! I had been using the tractor at lower rpms, and had used rotary cutters on larger tractors with position control, but had never set one up myself. Well, again at lower rpm, I got things where I wanted them, and headed for the tight area I needed to mow. I took the loader off since there wasn't much room, and tried lifting the cutter, and things seemed OK. Well, at full pto rpm, on a side hill, I saw a rock coming, and looking back at the cutter, I raised it. The speed that cutter came up at, and the resulting wheelie on that side hill woke me out of a dead sleep for sure, and I haven't been excited about the combo since, but I have learned it's quirks, and how to use it pretty well. The front tires were headed downhill, and the cutter was back on the ground grinding rock when the front wheels came back down. Instincts are good sometimes.

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors #14  
That's interesting to know, I looked at a 4005 and was kind of underwhelmed at the degree of "refinement" for lack of a better term. It's not what I typically expect to see from Deere.

The 4005, like the 3005, is a very basic tractor for those who want basic equipment. I'm one of those folks and I really like the simplicity of my 790 (same tractor as the 3005).
Both the 4005 and 3005 designs date back to the 1980's (or older).
I know a lot of guys on TBN like a bunch of frills, but there's a substantial number who prefer simple equipment. I reckon it's the same folks who would prefer a plain jane pick up over a Cadillac.

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors #15  
I will second you Roy:D I like simple and a known record of reliability. I can work on any portion of a 790/3005. As far as the OP, I too was look'n at a L2800 and at the time the 790. The 790 won out for me due to it could be narrowed up more for tree farm usage and the 'bota dealer manager was a waste of time to deal with. As foggy stated a shuttle would be nice, and a "in between' high/low reverse speed for the 790/3005. The 2800 is a little more sophisticated so to say, but it cannot match the excellent 30 some odd years track record of the 790/3005. What dealers will do and can offer, jobs/uses for tractor and type of terrain all come into consideration.

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors
I noticed the lack of cruise on the HST model I saw, but missed the drawbar. You mean the one under the 3ph, I assume? My 3400 came with it, is it just the drawbar missing or the whole receiver?

Chilly

Draw bar reciever and all

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors #17  
Problems with the position control in early versions of your tractor is one thing, and the "quarter inching" on the smaller Kubotas is a joke for example.

The new ones aren't much better, mine is still pretty choppy raising. I can live with it, but it isn't the best design.

Chilly

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors #18  
The 4005, like the 3005, is a very basic tractor for those who want basic equipment. I'm one of those folks and I really like the simplicity of my 790 (same tractor as the 3005).
Both the 4005 and 3005 designs date back to the 1980's (or older).
I know a lot of guys on TBN like a bunch of frills, but there's a substantial number who prefer simple equipment. I reckon it's the same folks who would prefer a plain jane pick up over a Cadillac.

As far as I'm concerned, the simpler the better. My local Deere dealer really didn't impress me with either attitude or price, so the garage has this unholy orange glow when I turn on the lights..:) The 3400DT is about the plainest tractor that Kubota makes, the dealer asked me what I was going to use it for, if it would stay indoors when it was raining, snowing etc. I raised my eyebrows as if to say, "You're kidding right??" He said, "Well, that rules out the Grand L series.." I think he has the same philosophy I have about electronics. Mine has a few bells and whistles, but not many.

My observation of the 4005 wasn't so much that it wasn't a good tractor, just not what I'd expect from Deere for that kind of money.

Chilly

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors #19  
My observation of the 4005 wasn't so much that it wasn't a good tractor, just not what I'd expect from Deere for that kind of money.

Chilly

The 4005 (and it's prior designation, the 990) provide a lot of power for the dollar. I'd love to have one...just can't justify a 40some HP tractor on 2.5 acres (even when I was bush hogging a 5 acre field).
And, you don't see many 990's for sale...same thing applies to it's predecessor, the 970. Seem like folks who buy 'em, keep them.

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors #20  
The 4005 (and it's prior designation, the 990) provide a lot of power for the dollar. I'd love to have one...just can't justify a 40some HP tractor on 2.5 acres (even when I was bush hogging a 5 acre field).
And, you don't see many 990's for sale...same thing applies to it's predecessor, the 970. Seem like folks who buy 'em, keep them.

Now there's something I didn't realize, that the 3005 and 4005 had been around before as the 790 and 990. Why can't the manufacturers keep the names the same for essentially the same tractor, and just keep updating them with a letter, for example. So a 990H would be a later version of the 990E with different features specific to that model? From talking to the dealer, I was under the impression that these were "all-new" models that had just been unveiled. Newbie mistake.

Kubota's the same or worse, their model lineup over the years has more entries than enough.

Unlikely they'll take their cues from me.

Chilly