Comparison 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors #1  

Tarheeler

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota l2800hst
Ive narrowed the search to these 2 Tractors and would like everyones opinions on the 2 and how you would choose and why you feel thus etcc.....
Yes I have one Im leaning toward and have driven Both and the price difference is less than 50$.. Plus and Minuses are as follows

3005 - Pluses are Dealer is 10mins away - resale value?- R4 tires
Minuses are less hp - cramped operator area- dry brakes - 2.5% participation fee on the supposed 0% 48 mo financing

L2800- Pluses are more HP - more room in operators area - More lift capacity - Tractor weighs more -- and a few minor accessories ie fuel capacity -cruise etc - and 0% for 60 months
Minuses are dealer 50 min away - AG tires -

Tell me your opinions and the obvious thingsin your mind that I left out ( I Kow I left a few out but these are one that come to my mind)

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors #2  
I think you have picked two very comparible tractors.

I have a JD 770 which is the precursor to the 790 and the 3005. Love this tractor. Its tough, and does more than a machine of its size should do. A few things I don't like are the low lift height of the loader (mine is a model 70, which is smaller and lower than the 300 on the 3005), the loader strength and "battery rot". I also like to putter around and use the loader alot, which would be much better with a hydro transmission. In fact this is the only reason that I keep thinking about a new tractor.

With a gear drive, I doubt you'll notice a horsepower difference. Both will handle 5 ft implements without sweating. My machine is only 24 hp and has no problem at all running a heavy 5ft Bush Hog in heavy, wet 4 ft tall weeds with a full cut driving uphill. Without loaded tires, the mower does push the tractor around a little on turns and hills however. I did notice that the L2800 felt a little wider than my machine, however my 770 has turf tires and the L2800 had R4s. Both are light tractors with enough power to make them feel bigger than they are. I would definately suggest loaded rear tires for stability if you have any hills.

I personally like having position control on my 770, but can't see much disadvantage to the quarter inching controls for my uses. That could be different for those who do a lot of grading or maybe finish mowing.

I also like the loader control on the tractor rather than on the loader mast as well. Its only a slight preferance though, and would not make me hesitate from buying a Kubota.

Since the tractors are very closely matched, I think that a comfortable work station and dealer support would be the deciding factors. Both manufactures are top notch and will always have a strong dealer presence and parts availibility. But having local, after sale support is key. Even if its a bit of a drive. The local JD dealers that I've been to have been pretty decent, but nothing to write home about. The local Kubota dealers that I have visited have had higher prices, but take the time to educate the customer and make them feel welcome. 2 dealers in particular have been very personable, and while I have not bought a Kubota from them, I have been going to them for accessories and other power tools. Neither has been annoyed with my questions or multiple visits. I think that reflects on how they would treat me after then sale.

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors #3  
Have a close look, does the 3005 have a "shuttle" type shift for loader work? The 2800 has a lever on the left side for Hi-Lo-Rev ranges plus 4 ratio selections on the actual shifter. 8 speeds ahead and 4 astern. The Deere has 2 speeds astern, not 4.

The 2800 doesn't come with rear hydraulic remotes, and no factory kit is available, you'd have to piece it together or pay the dealer to do it. Not a big deal, but something to consider.

10 mins or 50 mins to dealer is your choice, I don't see it as a problem either way unless they're charging you mileage to service your tractor on site.

Check out where they're actually built. Kubota is Japan, the Deere MIGHT be Chinese or Korean, I really don't know for sure. Whether it makes a difference to you or not, I don't know.

The ROPS folds on the Kubota, mine fits in my garage because of that.

50% larger fuel tank on the Kubota.

The two-stage clutch is nice on the 4wd version of the Deere, my 3400 has it as well.

Sightly higher hydraulic flow on the Kubota, 20% more.

815 vs 1435 lb lift capacity on the 3 ph in favour of the Kubota.

A mid mount PTO is optional on the Deere, not available on the Kubota.

I compared the 3038 to the 3400 when I was looking, the Deere had some good features, so did the Kubota. The 3400 and 2800 are the same frame size, you get more power in the same size package. The 4400 is quite a bit bigger.

If you want R4's, the dealer probably won't lose a sale because of it, either way. Mine was offered with either r4's or r1's, my choice, same price. They loaded them in the deal as well, something you should consider with a small tractor like these. I like the r1's for what I do, which is mostly agricultural use, snow removal, woods work, etc. **** on lawns though :)

Good luck, don't be afraid to lean hard on the dealer to get what you want.

Chilly

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors #4  
My vote is for the Kubota though I have owned neither, I have test driven both. I like the lift capacities, the shuttle type of shift, the room, and the loader / backhoe options better. Both are good tractors, and what trips my trigger might not trip yours. Now, I would also look at the L3700SU........... I don't have a clue what those differences are, or what the price is yet.

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors #5  
As said above....look closely at the tranny gears and "ranges" offered. This may tip the scales toward the Kubota....as I sometimes wish for a mid range when doing loader work with my 790 (same as the 3005). Reverse low feels too slow and hi feels too fast at times.....but I live with it pretty well.

As far as the lift capacities on these little tractors....before buying I too was concerned with higher lift capacities on other brands. But in the real world I can lift most anything I need to....and I don't worry as much about bending stuff up with the smaller capacities. I am a big believer in "balanced" tractor capacities.....as you don't wreck stuff as easy....or get hurt. Then too....you likely don't want 1500 lbs of implement swinging around on the back of your lightweight tractor.....as your just gonna have the tail waggin the dog.

The JD fuel tank seems adequate for a full days work....so that's no big deal to me.

Lotsa pro's and con's to the specs......keep asking before you spend. I compromised and bought a used gear tractor....as I was unsure of the size needed without some time in the seat on one of these CUT's. Now I know the size is right...but I kinda long for a hydro or shuttle tranny at times. (can you feel the upgrade comming? :D )

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors #6  
Check out where they're actually built. Kubota is Japan, the Deere MIGHT be Chinese or Korean, I really don't know for sure. Whether it makes a difference to you or not, I don't know.

3005 is a Japan built Yanmar from what I understand

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors
My vote is for the Kubota though I have owned neither, I have test driven both. I like the lift capacities, the shuttle type of shift, the room, and the loader / backhoe options better. Both are good tractors, and what trips my trigger might not trip yours. Now, I would also look at the L3700SU........... I don't have a clue what those differences are, or what the price is yet.

The 3700Su lacks draw bar and cruise and is $800 less than the 3400hst but had 2-3 more HP

Oh yea I dont like the Dead Clutch/pto on the 2800 would rather a Live

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors #9  
Man, I would like to be a fly on the wall at some of the meetings where Kubota decides what to leave off a tractor to sell it for five bucks less, and make five bucks more! I was involved in a transformation to the "Toyota Principle", or "Lean Manufacturing" so I have seen the graphs, and charts they use to make those choices, but I can't say I was impressed. In it's earliest, and most basic form tractors are engines mounted on wheels with a gear box to pull things with. Well there goes the drawbar theory! :D When I was in manufacturing I always heard things like "what precentage of our customers care about this?" Or, "let's go ahead, and ship this, and see if it becomes a customer service issue" My point was, and is that customers work very hard, and very long for expensive discretionary purchases, and shouldn't have to shoulder all the responsibility for researching, and getting what they really need to do the job. Leave off one feature that the customer finds he needs, (since the companies are right that many of us just don't know which things are important until we actually try to use the product) and you will have an unhappy customer because that will bug him every time he uses your product.

/ 3005 VS L2800 Gear driven tractors #10  
The 3700Su lacks draw bar and cruise and is $800 less than the 3400hst but had 2-3 more HP

Oh yea I dont like the Dead Clutch/pto on the 2800 would rather a Live

I noticed the lack of cruise on the HST model I saw, but missed the drawbar. You mean the one under the 3ph, I assume? My 3400 came with it, is it just the drawbar missing or the whole receiver?

Chilly