Tractor Sizing Need help with tractor size

/ Need help with tractor size #1  

illuci

Hi there,
We have a small farm and are looking to buy a good used tractor with a loader, pto, and 3 point hitch. We want to be able to make hay (run a mower, tedder, etc.) and clip pastures. Ideally we would eventually like to carry round bales with it. We have both used tractors before but I am unsure what HP is recommended for this kind of activity/weight.
Any advice? Would be grateful for any suggestions as to models/brands as well as size.
Thanks,
Lucy

p.s. our land is somewhat hilly and we are in VT so there's snow 1/2 the year!

Last edited:
   / Need help with tractor size #2  
The size of the bales would really be your determining factor. Everything you list could easily be done with a 40 hp tractor, maybe smaller, except maybe running a round baler. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think you’ll want at least 50 hp or larger for most round balers, especially in hilly terrain.

/ Need help with tractor size #3  
50 HP range makes good small farm tractors because of the weight/power balance. Our 60 HP 265 MF is just a tad too heavy/large to be truly handy but 10 HP too much is much better than being short 10 HP when it is REQUIRED. :D

/ Need help with tractor size #4  
Hi there,
We have a small farm and are looking to buy a good used tractor with a loader, pto, and 3 point hitch. We want to be able to make hay (run a mower, tedder, etc.) and clip pastures. Ideally we would eventually like to carry round bales with it. We have both used tractors before but I am unsure what HP is recommended for this kind of activity/weight.
Any advice? Would be grateful for any suggestions as to models/brands as well as size.
Thanks,
Lucy

p.s. our land is somewhat hilly and we are in VT so there's snow 1/2 the year!

I have a 2008 Mahindra 5525 for handing haying chores on my 10 acres. 54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny, power steering. It has the ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft height) which would handle 1000-1500 lb round bales pretty well. I mow with a 6-ft Hawkline brush hog (rotary mower). The tractor with FEL weighs about 6500 lb with loaded rear tires.

DSCF0051 (Small).JPG

DSCF0061 (Small).JPG

DSCF0062 (Small).JPG

The small tractor is a 2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto) that I traded for the 5525. Paid about $18K for the tractor and FEL, $1100 for the mower (new prices). You should be able to find something 5-10 years old that would be more in the $10K range.

/ Need help with tractor size #5  
I have farmed with smaller/less horsepower, but I really wouldn't want to use anything in the under 50 HP; not saying it can't be done, just sure wouldn't want to.

/ Need help with tractor size #6  
I agree.. making hay... I'd go no lower than 50hp. the extra weight and size will help making round bale moving safer too.

might even shoot for 60engine hp.. so you can have 50 at the pto for the haybaler.

soundguy