Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Default Re: Advice needed on a new Mower purchase.

I will chime in here...I bought a 20 HP 46 inch cut Murray Lawn Tractor from Home Depot on sale in 2000 for $999.00 and other than oil changes it has operated flawlessly...With the HP it has it never bogs down even in high grass...I even run over some 1 inch brances and it chews them up....I see all the money folks spend on these mowers and I am here to tell you there is an alternative. I think many of these mowers are made by one plant that just puts various names on them...Private Lableing...10 years with this Murray mower and I love it..
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by moodyda View Post
    Gee I wonder how the x300 is on gas?
    Probably not the greatest .
    I think all the high HP lawn tractors and garden tractors are gas hogs.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Can any of you confirm or deny a comment I recently foung about the x300 series JD, "Do NOT get an X300 or anything else with a K46 or any other trannie that is not serviceable unless you want to give JD another $900 after each 92 hours like they want from me" any truth to this comment, I really hope not.

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrown59 View Post
    Probably not the greatest .
    I think all the high HP lawn tractors and garden tractors are gas hogs.
    LB - You are right about that ...My 20 HP Murray mower eats the gas...that is true..I forgot about that..at least 2 gallons an acre...Not good...otherwise I am happy with it.
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Tractor
    Kioti CK25 Shuttle Shift, loaded tires, JD X739

Pretty good friends with a JD salesman. He says the x300 series is the best choice if you don't want to spend the money for premium X700s. I'd say they would be pretty good. OTH, my neighbor has a JD130. Been using it 3 years on his 3/4 acre lot. Hasn't had any trouble with it yet. And, yes you can get many years out of a cheapo. My dad got 13+ years out of a $999 tractor. The higher end machines are usually more comfortable and give better traction due to weight. And yes you can have problems with the high end machines too. You can be unlucky with any make/model. But, there are probably more unlucky soles that buy at the low end than there are at the high end. So, just get what you want and hope you are not one of the unlucky ones.

Me, I'd take a used JD400 series any day over the x300 for about the same money. Just way more tractor. But you have to forgoe shiny and new, and easy financing. Don't understand anyone not wanting AWS either, unless you need the ground clearance, say for plowing. It's the best featurer created for GTs in recent years.

Tractor
    A couple

My L-130 has a Kohler engine, and I suspect any carbureted engine regardless of brand is going to be hard on fuel. I go through about a gallon per hour.
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    BX24

I have a Husky with an 18 HP Kaw engine and it is a gas hog about a gallon an hour. But with over 250 hours on it no probolems what so ever. Do your maint and she will last for awhile.
    08 BX24 FEL, BH, 6l0" MMM, Kubota PTO Bagger, BX2750D snow blower with quick hitch

Elite Member
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    (B2620, had BX22) Simplicity Legacy w/48" mmm

Glad to see some numbers being put on the gas consumption here. What is a gas hog to one might be reasonable to another.
    B2620,Loaded R-4's , Wallenstein BX42 chipper, Bush Hog SQ148 RC, 4' x 8' chain harrow, Blizzard 54" 3PT snowblower, Tirechains. com v-bar duo grip chains (hate them), Simplicity Legacy with 48"mmm, turbo collector, Country Line carry all, Countryline Middlebuster, Woods 48" BB, Kubota QA for loader, Kubota forks, Kuhn EL23 rototiller, and more to come...

Tractor
    Deere 1026R, D100, Gravely 1132

The X300 is a good machine. It is what I would pick if you want something that you can keep for a long time. Once a year I heard that JD offers 500 off the price, so if your dealer is asking say 2850 (they always try to be less than MSRP), then you could pick up a new one for about 2300-2400.

The K46 is good unless you overwork it. For just mowing or cart pulling, the usual stuff, there's nothing wrong with the K46.

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

I recommend you get an x310 and up with the k58 transmission. I have a k46 in an L130 mower and the transmission started failing (slowing down)before it reached 200 hours. Had a backhoe and a tractor prior to its purchase so it has never been abused. Lots of members here have had similar issues. Do you feel lucky?
    I don't think mowing my lawn would be considered abusive on the contrary it should be a piece of cake for most any mower. I use to pull an 80lb spinspreader a few times a year with it but now it is too slow to spin the fertilizer at 291 hours on the clock.

Here's a picture of the spin spreader I pulled and the lawn I abused it on.

About the gas consumption best I can tell about $5 an hour at todays prices, I consider fuel for all of my Deere equipment to be inconsequential, thats the last thing I am going to worry about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12