Comparison Advice needed on a new Mower purchase.

/ Advice needed on a new Mower purchase. #11  
I will chime in here...I bought a 20 HP 46 inch cut Murray Lawn Tractor from Home Depot on sale in 2000 for $999.00 and other than oil changes it has operated flawlessly...With the HP it has it never bogs down even in high grass...I even run over some 1 inch brances and it chews them up....I see all the money folks spend on these mowers and I am here to tell you there is an alternative. I think many of these mowers are made by one plant that just puts various names on them...Private Lableing...10 years with this Murray mower and I love it..

/ Advice needed on a new Mower purchase.
Can any of you confirm or deny a comment I recently foung about the x300 series JD, "Do NOT get an X300 or anything else with a K46 or any other trannie that is not serviceable unless you want to give JD another $900 after each 92 hours like they want from me" any truth to this comment, I really hope not.

/ Advice needed on a new Mower purchase. #15  
Pretty good friends with a JD salesman. He says the x300 series is the best choice if you don't want to spend the money for premium X700s. I'd say they would be pretty good. OTH, my neighbor has a JD130. Been using it 3 years on his 3/4 acre lot. Hasn't had any trouble with it yet. And, yes you can get many years out of a cheapo. My dad got 13+ years out of a $999 tractor. The higher end machines are usually more comfortable and give better traction due to weight. And yes you can have problems with the high end machines too. You can be unlucky with any make/model. But, there are probably more unlucky soles that buy at the low end than there are at the high end. So, just get what you want and hope you are not one of the unlucky ones.

Me, I'd take a used JD400 series any day over the x300 for about the same money. Just way more tractor. But you have to forgoe shiny and new, and easy financing. Don't understand anyone not wanting AWS either, unless you need the ground clearance, say for plowing. It's the best featurer created for GTs in recent years.

/ Advice needed on a new Mower purchase. #16  
My L-130 has a Kohler engine, and I suspect any carbureted engine regardless of brand is going to be hard on fuel. I go through about a gallon per hour.

/ Advice needed on a new Mower purchase. #17  
I have a Husky with an 18 HP Kaw engine and it is a gas hog about a gallon an hour. But with over 250 hours on it no probolems what so ever. Do your maint and she will last for awhile.

/ Advice needed on a new Mower purchase. #18  
Glad to see some numbers being put on the gas consumption here. What is a gas hog to one might be reasonable to another.

/ Advice needed on a new Mower purchase. #19  
The X300 is a good machine. It is what I would pick if you want something that you can keep for a long time. Once a year I heard that JD offers 500 off the price, so if your dealer is asking say 2850 (they always try to be less than MSRP), then you could pick up a new one for about 2300-2400.

The K46 is good unless you overwork it. For just mowing or cart pulling, the usual stuff, there's nothing wrong with the K46.

/ Advice needed on a new Mower purchase. #20  
I recommend you get an x310 and up with the k58 transmission. I have a k46 in an L130 mower and the transmission started failing (slowing down)before it reached 200 hours. Had a backhoe and a tractor prior to its purchase so it has never been abused. Lots of members here have had similar issues. Do you feel lucky?
I don't think mowing my lawn would be considered abusive on the contrary it should be a piece of cake for most any mower. I use to pull an 80lb spinspreader a few times a year with it but now it is too slow to spin the fertilizer at 291 hours on the clock.

Here's a picture of the spin spreader I pulled and the lawn I abused it on.:rolleyes:

About the gas consumption best I can tell about $5 an hour at todays prices, I consider fuel for all of my Deere equipment to be inconsequential, thats the last thing I am going to worry about.