Tractor Sizing How many horses is enough?

/ How many horses is enough? #31  
I am a weekend warrior. Only get to work (PLAY) on the weekends at the ranch. I had many holes that were next to impossible to just drill with my Land Pride PD35 ( the largest pto phd that they have). I would have to drill and water and drill and water, I do not have the time to do this when I need a hole drilled. I bought the down pressure kit for my phd and have had ZERO problems drilling any holes since. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• P4050008.JPG
    P4050008.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 159
  • P4050006.JPG
    P4050006.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 148
   / How many horses is enough? #32  
I'd go along with 30-40 hp. which one is up to you. You don't need a lot of hp for what you're going to be doing, weight is a factor though. I've been pretty happy with the L3400 Kubota I've got, doing pretty much the same chores, so anything in that size range should work for you. Funny how jobs you used to hate BT (Before Tractor) become almost a pleasure to get done. Seat time...

Look for something with rear hydraulic remotes before it ever leaves the dealer if you end up buying new. AG tires are another point, as are weighted rears. Make sure you have enough room for tire chains if needed.

30-40 hp will be fine around the woods (firewood), just don't plan on hauling out 3 cords at a time. I can usually get at least one good size (16 inches at the butt) tree behind mine, with everything that's worth taking for firewood from it. Usually two depending on how many big limbs there are.

Don't worry about the PHD use, they're not power demanding. Down pressure from the digger might be a good thing to look for, or go with a bucket mounted hydraulic unit. They work really well, but are pricey. Most of my implements are either used or home-made, unless they've been abused most will respond to a little TLC.

A 3038 or 3720 Deere would fit you well, a cab will depend on where you're going to use it and how much you mind the weather. I like the open station myself, especially in the woods.

Chilly

/ How many horses is enough? #33  
Like 50 years ago International had like a 30-40 HP farm tractor with a 3 point hitch with down pressure feature but from what I see here it would be best to pay $500 for the down pressure attachment. That really is a nice feature.

/ How many horses is enough? #34  
The down pressure option is attractive if you have tough soil conditions. If you have moist or sandy soil you won't need it. The other option is to add a couple hundred pounds of weight to the digger boom.

Chilly

/ How many horses is enough?
Thanx for the input :thumbsup:

Looks like I'm in the market for a 35 - 45 HP tractor. This roughly coincides with recommendations that have come from conversations w/2 separate dealers. And this fact gets each of those dealers off of dead center and moves them +1 in the positive direction :D

I'll move onto the implements and usage questions now that I have a range of HP that the implements could be attached to.

Thanx again! And see ya over in the Attachments forum :)

Keith

/ How many horses is enough? #36  
I am in the Piedmont of NC, which is about the same terrain as what you have there in VA. I have a 2wd 55 hp Ford 3930 that I use for my 100 acres. I have a 4 foot round baler, and all the other implements needed to produce quality hay - mower w/conditioner, tedder, bar rake, as well as a square baler just for fun. The only time i have a problem is when I rent a pull behind Great Plains seed drill that is 8'. I also run on one hrydo.

I am budgetting purchasing a 4x4 75+ hp tractor in the next 2 years if my conversvency plan is approved, if that tells you anything.

Like a well respected farmer told me, always buy more than you need than less than you need. Implements are growing larger day by day. You definately need two hydro lines off the back. They help when it is cold and you do not want to move to adjust something.