Comparison Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050
Thanks for all of your posts. Thanks for all of your help tsteahr you have been great. As I see it I really want to go with the high level equip ie... Ingersol, Kubota, Simplicity or John Deere< but there is always the cost factor (and I know that you get what you pay for). Is there really $2k difference between the Cub Cadet LTX 1050 and a JD x320? Asise from the trannie I do not believe so. Plus I still do not know what trannie is in the Cub it could be a K40, K46, K58 or it could even be an Loser 69???

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050 #12  
Maybe another trip to the dealers is in order. Take a close look at the construction of each. Try to pick up the decks, how heavy? Take a close look at each tranny. Does the tranny in the x320 have a drain and fill port? If you can change the fluid that will help with the life. Drive them both again, preferably on something other than pavement. How do they ride over less than perfectly smooth. These kind of things are the only way you can decide for your self if one is worth double the cost. On a final note, having a machine that is a little overbuilt for your needs will be less expensive in the long run then a machine that is a little oversized for your needs. Overworking a undersized machine is a sure way to a short life. Underworking a oversized machine will give you many years of pleasure.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!

BTW, I have no issue with CC. The CC/Yanmars are very nice. I am interested in you getting the best match for your needs, not getting you into any particular color of machine.

Maybe another trip to the dealers is in order. Take a close look at the construction of each. Try to pick up the decks, how heavy? Take a close look at each tranny. Does the tranny in the x320 have a drain and fill port? If you can change the fluid that will help with the life. Drive them both again, preferably on something other than pavement. How do they ride over less than perfectly smooth. These kind of things are the only way you can decide for your self if one is worth double the cost. On a final note, having a machine that is a little overbuilt for your needs will be less expensive in the long run then a machine that is a little oversized for your needs. Overworking a undersized machine is a sure way to a short life. Underworking a oversized machine will give you many years of pleasure.

Good luck with whatever choice you make!

BTW, I have no issue with CC. The CC/Yanmars are very nice. I am interested in you getting the best match for your needs, not getting you into any particular color of machine.

Thanks sounds like great advice to me. I appreciate it.

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050 #14  
Take a look at the tranny in the unit. The K46 will be marked with a 46 at the beginning of it. Can't miss it.

Steve (who looks under them all)

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050 #15  
Moody:

Out of curiosity, you mention hills on your property. From what little I know of Florida, there are very little in the way of hills as I'm used to the term. Can you give us an idea of just how steep these hills are?

Knowing what your up against helps us help you.

Moody:

Out of curiosity, you mention hills on your property. From what little I know of Florida, there are very little in the way of hills as I'm used to the term. Can you give us an idea of just how steep these hills are?

Knowing what your up against helps us help you.

Most of the property is low lying (this time of year somewhat under water). I am originally from a rural area in NJ that was in the mountains and this is nowhere the same. It is hilly due to the fact that the house is built up on an anthill which creates short but somewhat steep inclines in areas arround the house (the builder did me no justice), but it is what it is. I believe that the Cub Cadet 1050 can handle it, I just want the thing arround 15 to 20 years:D

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050 #17  
In my opinion the 1050 is one heck of a tractor for the price. With the upgrades from the base 1000 series tractors to the 1050 I'm surprised the price diff. isn't more. I think you would be just fine with the Cub in your situation. Good Luck!

I agree with this poster. The Deere X300 series is a poor value IMHO. As far as 15-20 years you may want to look into the cub 2500 series with better and servicable hydro,better motor and just better build.

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050 #18  
Does anyone know a website that lists the various trannys and the machines their used in?

It would be a great help to those of us trying to decide.

I need a new mower, maybe this year, and im leaning to the x324 from deere. But after reading this thread im having second thoughts.

What trans is in the 324? and are there any issues with it?

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050 #19  
I agree with this poster. The Deere X300 series is a poor value IMHO. As far as 15-20 years you may want to look into the cub 2500 series with better and servicable hydro,better motor and just better built.
and probably around the same money.

/ Finally; JD x300 vs. Cub Cadet 1050 #20  
Does anyone know a website that lists the various trannys and the machines their used in?

It would be a great help to those of us trying to decide.

I need a new mower, maybe this year, and im leaning to the x324 from deere. But after reading this thread im having second thoughts.

What trans is in the 324? and are there any issues with it?

The J.D. mower site lists the transmission type for a X324 as a K58.