Replacement for MF35

/ Replacement for MF35 #1  

bucktaker

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740
hello everyone, I am considering replacing my 1963 MF 35 Special with Davis Loader. Current tractor has power steering, live PTO,loader,
I live on 10 acres in SW ohio that is mixed with house,barn, fenced pasture
The mf 35 has served me well, I have done everything from post holes, grading, Manure loading spreading to making SQ bale hay with this workhorse. As I look to the future I dont see myself making and real changes to my current situation. But I wonder how long Quality parts may be available. It seems to me that CUTs are very expensive$$ The only change I would make to the MF35 is rear remotes and maybe a little more hp.

What would be a replacement model tractor.

I have looked at kubota grand L series
I have looked at a utility 5045 2wd loader, 45-55 hp for less that CUTs

Does my MF 35 qualify as a utility or compact utility?

Last edited:
   / Replacement for MF35 #2  
The MF35 was a full size farm tractor at the time it was built. There were no real classes like there are today.

If you are happy with it I would keep it. Parts will be no issue because they are so popular. Kind of like the N series Fords.

Now that being said if you are looking for a new tractor and like the ruggedness of the MF35 try taking a look at Mahindra. They make them the way they used to be made. You could stay in the same HP range if you go with a 4x4 tractor and do much more work. A example of this is I have a modern 28HP 4x4 tractor that will out pull and work my 1960's Ford 861 with 45HP. Yes, the 45HP Ford will do more work on the PTO but that is it.

Maybe look at a 35 HP utility tractor for you daily chores with a FEL and 4x4. It will do all and more than the old MF could ever think of doing. Another route is keep the MF for PTO power and get a 25 HP utility tractor for the chores. It will still out work the MF 35 in most cases. Just be aware the R1 ag tires are what allow your MF 35 to do the work it does. They really push R4 tires on new machines. You could not give me one. I still like R1's for getting the job done.

Chris

/ Replacement for MF35 #3  
hello everyone, I am considering replacing my 1963 MF 35 Special with Davis Loader. Current tractor has power steering, live PTO,loader,
The mf 35 has served me well, I have done everything from post holes, grading, Manure loading spreading to making SQ bale hay with this workhorse. As I look to the future I dont see myself making and real changes to my current situation. But I wonder how long Quality parts may be available. It seems to me that CUTs are very expensive$$ The only change I would make to the MF35 is rear remotes and maybe a little more hp.

That 35 is a utility--nothing compact about it.

Is your MF35 gas or diesel? If diesel, you have a winner in that Perkins engine. My 1964 MF135 Deluxe has the Perkins. No problem with the engine so far, but it's in my shop now for a clutch job.

DSCF0016 (Small).JPG

DSCF0017 (Small).JPG

My FEL tractor is a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny 8F/2R, power steering) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5ft high). Traded that 2005 Kubota B7510HST for the 5525. I had the dealer install triple remotes on the rear fender.

DSCF0061 (Small).JPG DSCF0062 (Small).JPG DSCF0067 (Small).JPG

Cost: about $18K

My neighbor has a Kubota L4400--one nice tractor. IIRC he paid new about $22K including FEL, a box blade and a PHD.

/ Replacement for MF35
I have the gas Continetal Z134 engine. Runs good with no real issue other than its 46 yrs old. I added the loader and changed the the rear tires to 14.9-28 and loaded them If I need do lots of loader work I put on my box blade with weight box for ballast. My thought is I am 46 yrs old still working a good job but I hope to retire some day and I do not want a 59 yr old tractor when that day comes..But I do not want a disposable tractor I was thinking ifI could find a comparable made piece of equipment now it would do me well in 20 yrs.

last yr I replaced the govenor and now I gotta dig into the 3 pt hyd lift system

My problem is cheap import parts that dont last. How long can i keep the MF35 going?

/ Replacement for MF35 #5  
One good thing is that most of your tractor is the same as the MF135 so this keeps parts in production longer. There are a lot of good replacement parts on the market for them but there are some poor ones to. With the number of 35's and 135's made you shouldnt have much problem for several years. When you do update look for something that weighs about the same. 4wd is the way to go but you need weight to get the power to the ground. For my small tractor I have a Scorpion model made by TYM and its been a great little tractor. Its suprising just how much these little tractors can do. If you have a dealer in your area check out the T433 as that should be in your size area. I see they have a lot better finance options than when I got mine. But then that was 5 years ago.

/ Replacement for MF35
Any Other Models that would be equal or slightly more PTO hp than my MF 35?

/ Replacement for MF35 #7  
I agree with weight. I bought a Jinma because all the main line stuff was just too light. I mean come one a 40HP tractor that weighs less than 3,000#???? How can you get the power to the ground. Its fine if all you are doing is PTO work but I wanted something that would pull like the old Ford 861 I had.

My current tractor is a Jinma 254/284. Its rated at 25 HP but turned 31 HP on the pto. It will out pull my 45 HP tractor because of 2 reasons. 1st and formost is the 4 wheel drive and diff lock. Second is weight. The tractor weighs 3003# then I loaded the rears, 4 suit case weights at 33# each, 2 100# rear tire weights, the 860# FEL, and something on the 3 point puts it at 5,600# or more with me on it. The tractor with me on it is around 5,200#.

Chris

/ Replacement for MF35 #8  
Lets.. see.. it does all you need and is working fine.

UM.. I'd keep it.

parts are very available for it.

soundguy

/ Replacement for MF35 #9  
I just replaced my mf35 gas with a L3400. My clutch was out and I wanted a loader. The L3400 doesn't have as much pto hp, but it does have a loader and cupholder. I like it so far.

/ Replacement for MF35 #10  
Hi. If you want to stay in the Massey family :D you can look at the new 1600 serie. I just bought a Mf 1643 HST, 43 hp, very confortable tractor, with the loader it is 4400 pounds or so ( my tires are not filled), a very good hydraulic flow (16 gpm) it,s a real dream ridding this machine, go and try one you,ll be surprised, no engine vibration. Good luck

Attachments

• 118.jpg
    118.jpg
    1,019.3 KB · Views: 779