Comparison Hay Tedders, and my first post!

/ Hay Tedders, and my first post! #1  

boyst62

Well, I have been a lurker here for well over a year. I got in to the farming venture as a transplanted suburban Yankee (Ohio is a Yankee state, right?) now in the piedmont area of NC. My gramps had a commercial beef farm of just under 100 acres that was passed to my family and I. I've been spending summers and any vacations I could get down here all my life. For the last 3 years I have spent time laying the ground work, eliminating weak leaks in the cattle, improving fencing and most importantly improving the pastures. In this area we do best with Fescue blends, although I do some seasonal grasses; rye, Sudex, and wheat. I have been working with my county extension agents extensively to build a profitable direct to market grass fed beef organization targetting Charlotte. While I do not consider myself an expert I am resourceful and that is enough to get by when you have the patience and determination to figure out a situation! I will provide as many posts as I can to assist any farmer or non-farmer! I am accustomed to forum life as I have been posting on a Buffalo Bills website for well over 8 years...and right now there is not really anything to post anyway...don't get me started! However, I want to thank you for having me and I look forward to helping the community as much as I can!

Anyway, down to the business end. I have a 3pt enoagricola rossi 2 rotar tedder. Today it fell apart just as I was calling my brother to say hay, we need to budget a new one for 2010. The thing has been beat every which way possible in the last 15 years we've had it. Now that I am running things I have my philosophy of quality over quantity, that said price is a factor. What I am seeking is a 2 rotar tedder that will last and not fall apart. I have contacted local suppliers and found two of the best options. A Sitrex 2GL for 1700 and DaRos 2 for 1650. The Sitrex is 40 miles closer, looks better built, and is not Italian. I guess I am prejudice because the Rossi was Italian. Does anyone have any input at all on what to look for? I come seeking information because I have hay down and need it tomorrow. I will be spending the entire night doing homework on what to look for and buy, as well as searching Craigslist. Thank you ahead of time!

/ Hay Tedders, and my first post! #2  
i had good luck with my 4 basket sitrex tedder. i traded for a new kuhn tedder last year, and like it even better.

/ Hay Tedders, and my first post! #3  
Kuhn and New Holland up here!! Pay more for a Kuhn but they will last and last and keep workin' when they look like somebody dropped 'em on the highway from a moving trailer..

AKfish

/ Hay Tedders, and my first post! #4  
"The Sitrex is 40 miles closer, looks better built, and is not Italian."

Where are the Sitrex tedders made?--Ken Sweet

/ Hay Tedders, and my first post! #5  
Im sorry your a Buffalo Bills fan, so am I. there is no better way to ruin a good Sunday then to watch them play :)

/ Hay Tedders, and my first post!
"The Sitrex is 40 miles closer, looks better built, and is not Italian."

Where are the Sitrex tedders made?--Ken Sweet

...Italy. I was reading on the companies website that I purchased it from that they are assembled on premises; mistook that for custom made vs. imported at assembled. I will keep my foot in mouth a while on that one.

/ Hay Tedders, and my first post! #7  
Krone & Kuhn are probably the heaviest. The Sitrex I had was scrap iron compared to the Krone we got a few years ago. Haven't even replace a tine yet. They probably weigh better than twice as much. They are more expensive, but twice the quality.