Buying Advice Ford 3000 Diesel Questions

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Questions #1  

jstraw124

I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post. I'm a rookie when it comes to any tractors beside my JD x300. As I was asking for opinions on a potential purchase, I was told the place to get answers was on this forum.

I have a friend that has been a widow for about 8 years now, we have been coworkers and good friends for the past 15yrs. She has decided to sell her late husband's tractor, and gave me first option. The amount she offered to sell it to me for, looks low to me. I want to be fair and try to make a reasonable deal for both her and me. So I was looking for a reasonable price range you would expect for this tractor.

Now, about the tractor, it's a 1970 Ford 3000 diesel. Her husband bought it new and has all the original paper work and service records. It has a little over 1,000 hours on it and was mainly used for mowing and snow removal. I've run the tractor and it runs great with all fluids clean, along with strong hydrolics. The transmission is 8 forward/2 reverse and is 2 wheel drive. It has live 540 PTO, and has a new battery and tires that were installed before the winter snows. It isn't run often, but her son did plow her driveway with it this winter. It's a very clean tractor and has been garaged kept for it's life.

Along with the tractor the deal includes 3 attachments. The first is a front blade, purchased original with the tractor. The second is a rear rake that is also original. It looks like the rake is about 8' to 10' wide. The third is a Land Pride grooming mower with a 72" cut. It is newer and was purchased a couple of years before her husband died. It also has a weight for the rear, if you only have the front blade mounted.

What I would like is help on determining a reasonable price range, along with any other issues I should look for in evaluating this purchase. In addition, if I do make the deal, what model specific issues I should keep in mind as a new owner. And finally, if I decide to add a loader to it down the road, what kind of price range should I expect. Any responses welcome.

I included some not so good pics to help:

P4280822.JPG

P4280820.JPG

P4280818.JPG

P4280819.JPG

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Questions #2  
Tractor looks mint. I grew up on a tractor like that. Very handy and pretty strong. Hard to say what it's worth, since good ones like that don't come along that often. I would say the attachments are worth $1500, maybe more. The tractor is worth a min of $3500, probably more. New tires and battery are nothing to sneeze at, maybe $750 more. I think you are looking at about $5000. I sure would like to be in your shoes. I don't think I have seen that tractor without power steering but it is possible, so keep that in mind.

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Questions #3  
That is without a doubt the cleanest X000 I’ve seen that hasn’t already been restored. However, I’m fairly certain it’s a gas model, not a diesel. I regularly see the same tractor, much more “used”, sell for $3500-$4500. The front blade is interesting to me, I’m not seen that before. Would it be okay to ask what her price was? Was it the tractor only, or everything you were looking for a price for?
BTW, I see the power steering reservoir in the pics.

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Questions #4  
A tractor as you describe with all the attachments would retail for $7000 +, If it has original paint and it looks like it does. Double check the hours and it should have the original tires on it with about 2/3 tread showing. Ken Sweet

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Questions
I did start it yesterday, and it is a diesel, but I was unable to pull it out of the garage to see if the power steering works. Thanks for the recommendation, didn't think about that. The price we have been talking about is for everything. We were working in the 4k to 5k range. Just didn't know if that was reasonable. So far, it sounds like the high end of the range might be closer.

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Questions #6  
That is a very nice tractor. I have been looking at used JD and Fords of that vintage, and for that price 4-5K, they are usually pretty beat & tired.

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Questions #7  
I think if you paid in the $5000 range, she could feel confident that she gave you a decent deal, and you won't have to feel that you took advantage of a friendship. She could probably squeeze more out of it, but it might take some time and a few 'tire-kickers' to deal with along the way. Location affects pricing to some degree, and we don't know where you are, or how to figure that aspect in.

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Questions #8  
A tractor as you describe with all the attachments would retail for $7000 +, If it has original paint and it looks like it does. Double check the hours and it should have the original tires on it with about 2/3 tread showing. Ken Sweet

I agree with Ken. My mother just sold my fathers 71 Ford 3000 diesel for 5000 with a 5' bush hog for $5000 and it was not in as good of shape as this one. And the thing I ran into it was the English version which was hard to get parts for.
Can't recall the hours but I know it was over 4000. I can't tell from your pics but you might want to check if it is American or English. I think the oil dipstick is on the right side of the English one. Maybe someone will verify?

/ Ford 3000 Diesel Questions
Thanks for the responses, good to know I'm not to far off on a price. One post asked my location, I am located in Virginia.

I did take some time when I looked it over to write down all the different numbers found on the plate under the hood and other places around the tractor. After a little research on the net, determined the year and that it was American made, along with the engine information.

The one comment that was a little concerning was regarding the availability of parts. Mechanical work does not intimidate me. Even though I've done little tractor work, I have worked on restoring a Model A and a 40 Mercury. I really enjoy the work, but also know that it will get very frustrating and expensive if parts are difficult to come by. Is parts availability a big issue for an American made 3000? I already know that getting parts local will be difficult, but since I'm used to using forums and internet resources for vintage car parts, that doesn't really bother me. Just as long as I can find what I need somewhere in the U.S.

Last edited:
   / Ford 3000 Diesel Questions #10  
Thanks for the responses, good to know I'm not to far off on a price. One post asked my location, I am located in Virginia.

I did take some time when I looked it over to write down all the different numbers found on the plate under the hood and other places around the tractor. After a little research on the net, determined the year and that it was American made, along with the engine information.

The one comment that was a little concerning was regarding the availability of parts. Mechanical work does not intimidate me. Even though I've done little tractor work, I have worked on restoring a Model A and a 40 Mercury. I really enjoy the work, but also know that it will get very frustrating and expensive if parts are difficult to come by. Is parts availability a big issue for an American made 3000? I already know that getting parts local will be difficult, but since I'm used to using forums and internet resources for vintage car parts, that doesn't really bother me. Just as long as I kind find what I need somewhere in the U.S.

Parts are a non-issue. All engines for ALL Fords (except compacts and huge 4WD's) produced from 1965 through 1999 were built in Britain. British built chassis were built either for European markets or North American. Parts for either are readily available so long as one knows what to ask for and understands the meaning of the letter prefix of the tractor's serial number. I'm hanging on to a B- prefix Ford 4000 because I figure parts availability for 3 cylinder Fords will be as good or better than any tractor of similar age on the planet for as long as I am able to drive it. The grille and headlights in your photos indicate that the 3000 likely is a C-prefix American built Ford, which you already know.