maine woods

/ maine woods #1  

bobby64

hi im 45 yrs old live in dedham me. tired of doing all my yard work by hand thinking of buying a tractor for lugging fire wood twitching logs grading the drive way etc.... any reccomendations for a good reliable 26 to 32 hp tractor

/ maine woods #2  
Hey. Welcome to TractorByNet! I moved your post into the General Buying/Pricing section in hopes to gain some more responses. Thanks for joining!

/ maine woods #3  
The good news is that John Deere, Kioti, Kubota, Massey etc. all make good reliable tractors.

Internet websites can really be helpful, but nothing beats going out and climbing on a few and trying them out.

/ maine woods #4  
You have quite a few options, so it'll depend how much money you want to invest.
If you want a simple, no frills, tractor...look at the Deere 790 (it's now designated as "3005", but it's still a 790). Check out the Deere forums or search for "790". I've had mine for 6 years now with no problems. If you're not a mechanic, this one is a great choice. Should be able to pick one up for about $17000 which would include a front end loader.
Since the 790 has been around for about 11-12 years now, a used one might be worth looking at. In fact, there was one for sale in the New England area (NH seems right) for about $16K which included a backhoe!)

The more frills you want, the more you're going to pay.

790 Specs: 27 Gross engine HP, 24 PTO HP, 2200 lbs (less loader)

There's a start for you...

(Oh yeah...my previous tractor was a Deere 670, which was a predecessor to the 790 (almost identical except for engine and tire size)...didn't have any problems with that little worker either. Owned it about 3 years)

Happy hunting!!

Last edited:
   / maine woods #5  
you've got some good choices in dealers where you are. Look around, check out Uncle henry's, learn the avg pricing for stuff. i can't really recommend one over another. I had a real good experience at Union Farm Equipment. They're a NH, Kubota dealer, with a JD across the street. Check with these places on used stuff, find some really good deals. i found my 2009 NH(used) at Union. Priced right

/ maine woods #6  
There are lots of brands out there, the best thing to do is..

1. 1. Find your budget
    2. try out the top ones on your list
    3. decide which is most comfortable
    4. and get pictures to post on here once it is home :thumbsup:
I personally would recommend a new or used Deere, the 790 is a very nice tractor.