Need help deciding

/ Need help deciding #1  

sandtuck

Tractor
Kubota M7040 MFWD, FEL, Hydraulic Shuttle and John Deere x300 mower
I am about ready to finally upgrade from my old MF 165 to a new tractor of close to the same horsepower range. The two I have looked at the closest are the Mahindra 6530 ($28,795) or the Kubota M7040HST ($32,000). The Mahindra seems to be built like a battleship, solid and heavy. The Kubota seems to be a little more operator friendly and more nimble (not just because it's hydrostatic transmission). I have a small farm I keep up on the side from my regular job. I don't want to be underpowered for anything I might want to do. Either one will have 4WD and a loader. Haven't had a chance to sample a New Holland yet, but I hear they are really pricey. So let me hear it... which one do you think I will be the happiest with?

/ Need help deciding #2  
I am about ready to finally upgrade from my old MF 165 to a new tractor of close to the same horsepower range. The two I have looked at the closest are the Mahindra 6530 ($28,795) or the Kubota M7040HST ($32,000). The Mahindra seems to be built like a battleship, solid and heavy. The Kubota seems to be a little more operator friendly and more nimble (not just because it's hydrostatic transmission). I have a small farm I keep up on the side from my regular job. I don't want to be underpowered for anything I might want to do. Either one will have 4WD and a loader. Haven't had a chance to sample a New Holland yet, but I hear they are really pricey. So let me hear it... which one do you think I will be the happiest with?

Warranties and which dealer would give better service?

/ Need help deciding #3  
When did Kubota start making the M7040 in HST? I didn't know they made a HST that big or even in the M series. Is this a new series?

/ Need help deciding
When did Kubota start making the M7040 in HST? I didn't know they made a HST that big or even in the M series. Is this a new series?

I guess I used a bad acronym. I mean a M7040 with a Hydraulic Shuttle

/ Need help deciding #5  
Don't forget the weight of the tractor has just as much to do with the capabilities of the tractor as horsepower. Comparing the weight of the two tractors puts them in 2 different classes, one a heavy compact compared to a Ag utility.

/ Need help deciding #6  

I've owned both brands--2005 Kubota B7510HST (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, 4WD, HST, power steering) and a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny 8F/2R, power steering). Kubota tractors tend to be light weight; Mahindra's are built heavy and strong. Kubota's are quiet machines; my Mahindra roars compared to the Kubota (my neighbor owns a Kubota L4400 that is very quiet compared to my 5525). Periodic maintenance is easy on both brands.

Highly recommend that you get a tractor with an FEL that has the skid steer quick attach feature and double or triple rear hydraulic remotes.

How about dealer support? Check the size and quality of the service dept and parts dept. That is an important consideration that may determine your level of satisfaction with your eventual choice.

/ Need help deciding #7  
Have you considered the Mahindra 20 series or the 60 series tractors? Very user friendly in my opinion. These tractors are at the top of their size catagory vs other brands for their work capabilities. In other words, they are big, strong and heavy and won't let you down when you need that little extra to get the job done.

A lot of people like the Kubotas, and they are very nice machines, but in my opinion, with the Mahindra 20 & 60 series there is just a little more tractor there to get the job done.

Just an opinion from a happy 75204x4 owner for the past 5+ years. :thumbsup:

/ Need help deciding
Have you considered the Mahindra 20 series or the 60 series tractors? Very user friendly in my opinion. These tractors are at the top of their size catagory vs other brands for their work capabilities. In other words, they are big, strong and heavy and won't let you down when you need that little extra to get the job done.

A lot of people like the Kubotas, and they are very nice machines, but in my opinion, with the Mahindra 20 & 60 series there is just a little more tractor there to get the job done.

Just an opinion from a happy 75204x4 owner for the past 5+ years. :thumbsup:

I am going to go back and sit on one of the new 60's. I didn't when I was there. They didn't have a 7060 in stock at the time I was there. Is there a big price difference between the 30 and 60 series? Mahindra prices are hard to come by on the net. The Mahindra dealer is new in the area even though they own and operate another store about 100 miles away and have for many years. The Kubota dealer is very well established and does a big volume so I don't think there will be service issues with the orange one. Not yet certain about the Mahindra. I want something that I will be able to buy parts for 20 years from now like I can for my old Massey Ferguson. Still a little skiddish about that part of the Mahindra deal, even though I know they are good tractors.

/ Need help deciding #9  
Unfotunately I have no idea about prices. At the last AG show that I went to, Mahindra had a cab 8560 with loader for 42k. I guess that is supposed to be a smoking deal. :licking: I have no doubt that you will be able to get parts down the road. Mahindra is one of the largest tractor producers in the world. :thumbsup: If you can swing it, I would be looking at either the 7520 or 8560. Both of those have a higher hydraulic pump output than the lesser hp models. When you sit on one of these, you will see how comfortable that they are, at least for me anyway. I would also suggest getting the third rear remote, should be another $500 or so.

Keep us informed and GOOD LUCK.

/ Need help deciding
The other very important thing to me is service and parts availability. I can still get what I need for my 1969 MF165. This might be the last tractor I ever buy. I want to get parts and service 15 or 20 years from now. Not worried about Kubota, but I guess I am having a harder time accepting Mahindra as a "main line" tractor. The Mahindra dealer here just opened so if they don't stick around I stuck hauling it around the state to get it fixed.
I really like the looks and feel of the Mahindra and that it is built like a battle ship. On the other hand, I have never talked to anyone locally that didn't love their Kubota. I am not indecisive, I just have a hard time making up my mind!:D