First time Used buyer

/ First time Used buyer #1  

sataylor

My wife and I bought an old farm house with a little over 3 acres 2 years ago. When we moved in I bought a stand alone snow blower and a lawn tractor(Toro LX425). The tractor has worked fine for us but we are starting to think we should have got something bigger. This year we had a number of old stumps pulled by a neighbour and now have the task of re-leveling the land. I have tried using a walk behind tiller and roller but it is extremely time consuming and hard work. The lawn tractor is not big enough to do any of this work. So we are thinking we need to get a bigger tractor with a FEL. We also have about 400' of gravel driveway that is constantly in need of help so I think a blade would be able to help us there. Down the road I might also consider putting a tiller on as we have about 2000 sq ft of vegetable gardens and it certainly will be used for moving firewood, pulling out stumps, chicken coop clean up and snow removal(maybe by blade to start with a blower coming later). Our land is fairly flat.

I think a brand new tractor is out given the cost. We have just started looking through the classifieds. Wonder if anyone has suggestions what we should be looking at. I have found a number of tractors between 3500-7000 that have an FEL, 3pt hitch and PTO. I would ideally like a diesel from an economy stand point but won't pass up a deal on a gas powered tractor. Some of the models I have seen in my range include MF 65 & 135, international 454, JD 2310, ford 5000 and a bunch of other brands. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. I am fairly handy and would be able to do a lot of the repair work on my own. Thanks in advance.

/ First time Used buyer #2  
I'm not familiar with the particular tractors you mentioned, but would suggest that parts are easier to locate for the bigger name brands when you're going for a used tractor. FEL, 3pt hitch and PTO are pretty standard now a days. Used tractors are like gold in my area (Maine). Good Luck!

Paul

/ First time Used buyer #3  
here's my take.. you are looking for a ford 3000 or similar.. 3600.. etc. get one with an 8spd, live pto ( dual clutch ) and power steering. it will be an ok loader tractor.. not as good as a 4000 or 5000.. but a great powered wheelbarrow with the strength needed to move round bales if needed.

the 8spd will be good for a tiller. PS will help with the loader.

As for the 65+ machines.. i too would prefer a diesel. though i wouldn't pass up a deal on a GOOD gasser.

a 5000 is gonna be a big machine on 3ac if you have small tasks Big tractors take big implements. ( pot calling the kettle black here as I have a 5000 and keep it parked on my 3ac.. but I used it on my 10ac too. )

everything you said had me thinking ford 660/860 untill you said tiller. most old fords and similar units are geared darn high for tilelrs.. though they plow and disc nicely. the 8spd will be fine for a tiller.

good 3000's with a laoder should be able to be had in the 4500$ range.

I'd also take a 3 cyl 2000.. though they are usually economy machines..

soundguy

/ First time Used buyer #4  
I'd be looking at a smaller tractor, either a sub-compact or compact tractor. I own a BX2350 with a front end loader, mid mount mower deck, brush hog and a rear blade. The next larger tractor size in Kubota is a B series tractor. They have more power, size and ground clearance. Of course the other brands make similar machines. The JD2310? would be a nice size for 3 acres.

/ First time Used buyer #5  
My wife and I bought an old farm house with a little over 3 acres 2 years ago. When we moved in I bought a stand alone snow blower and a lawn tractor(Toro LX425). The tractor has worked fine for us but we are starting to think we should have got something bigger. This year we had a number of old stumps pulled by a neighbour and now have the task of re-leveling the land. I have tried using a walk behind tiller and roller but it is extremely time consuming and hard work. The lawn tractor is not big enough to do any of this work. So we are thinking we need to get a bigger tractor with a FEL. We also have about 400' of gravel driveway that is constantly in need of help so I think a blade would be able to help us there. Down the road I might also consider putting a tiller on as we have about 2000 sq ft of vegetable gardens and it certainly will be used for moving firewood, pulling out stumps, chicken coop clean up and snow removal(maybe by blade to start with a blower coming later). Our land is fairly flat.

I think a brand new tractor is out given the cost. We have just started looking through the classifieds. Wonder if anyone has suggestions what we should be looking at. I have found a number of tractors between 3500-7000 that have an FEL, 3pt hitch and PTO. I would ideally like a diesel from an economy stand point but won't pass up a deal on a gas powered tractor. Some of the models I have seen in my range include MF 65 & 135, international 454, JD 2310, ford 5000 and a bunch of other brands. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. I am fairly handy and would be able to do a lot of the repair work on my own. Thanks in advance.

I have a 1964 MF135 diesel without FEL. The 135 front axle isn't especially strong. You would be better off with an MF150 with FEL. The Perkins diesel engine on these MF tractors is highly regarded and is fairly easy to service and repair.

Start the tractor with a cold engine and listen for funny sounds. If it doesn't start, walk away from that tractor. Could be something simple or it could mean costly engine repairs. Check that all the gauges and lights are operating.

In general, you want to check the engine for evidence of fluid leakage leakage and the color of the exhaust (black smoke usually a fueling problem, white smoke could be water getting into the combustion chamber via leaking head gasket, blue smoke tyically means it's burning oil, no smoke is good).

Check the hydraulics on the FEL and the 3point hitch for leaks and for proper operation. Cycle the hydraulic cylinders through the entire range of operation. If possible, scoop up something with the FEL to be sure it works OK for typical tasks. And it's advisable to test the 3pt hitch with an implement attached before buying the tractor.

Check the operation of the 2 stage clutch and pto. You should be able to shift the pto into and out of operation while the engine is running. Currently my MF135 has a clutch problem--I can only shift the pto with the engine off. I'll probably have to split the tractor and replace the clutch pack. If you run into a similar problem, walk away from that tractor--new clutch costs about $600.

Drive the tractor in each gear and run the engine up to the pto rpm setting on the tachometer in each gear. If you detect any problems, walk away--could be clutch, transmission and/or rear end problems.

Check the steering, especially if the tractor has power steering, for proper operation.

If the tractor has minor problems, you may be able to negotiate a lower price.

/ First time Used buyer
Thanks for the info.

I have found a few to look at, looks like I have to go the dealer route to get some financing. I found one MF 65, a IH B414 and a JD 2120(all diesel) in my price range. Going to go take a look over the next week and see what they have at the dealers.

Thanks for the tips on the things to look for.

A further question, can I expect that the loaders on these will have hydraulic up and down? I think I need the down for doing gardening and leveling.

/ First time Used buyer #7  
Thanks for the info.

I have found a few to look at, looks like I have to go the dealer route to get some financing. I found one MF 65, a IH B414 and a JD 2120(all diesel) in my price range. Going to go take a look over the next week and see what they have at the dealers.

Thanks for the tips on the things to look for.

A further question, can I expect that the loaders on these will have hydraulic up and down? I think I need the down for doing gardening and leveling.

Yes they will, it is pretty much standard.

/ First time Used buyer #8  
it will be standard on the newer ones anyway.. on older machines.. just check to see what you are getting.

many have power up, gravity down, and then trip or full hyd bucket.

soundguy

/ First time Used buyer
Now have found four tractors to look at:

Massey 65
1969 Massey 135
1968 JD 2120
Ford 5000

If the weather holds I am going to try to look at most of them tomorrow.

/ First time Used buyer #10  
If you should choose to use a dealer and finance, have the dealer come out and analyze your needs. They might also bring one out for your own on site testing.