Buying Advice Power King vs. Farmall Cub

/ Power King vs. Farmall Cub #11  
whodat brigs up a good point about ground clearance.

I tend to think of the PK as an antique lawnmower.. the cub is what I'd consider an antique scut. IE.. 10hp job or so.. larger rear tires may give it a bit more traction.. etc.

does the cub have hyds?

soundguy

I second this. The Cub is MUCH closer to a tracter where the PK is more like a lawn mower.

/ Power King vs. Farmall Cub #12  
I have a 49 Farmall cub that i mow with all the time a couple of other things i can mow just as quick with it as any garden tractor I have ever had and it only uses about a third of the fuel (gas) and my yard is anything but flat

/ Power King vs. Farmall Cub #13  
is your mower the IH 44" one?

soundguy

/ Power King vs. Farmall Cub #14  
My vote is the cub.I,v had them and were very good little tractors.They use very little fuel,parts are still easy to find and you can still find impl. for them.Plus there just cute.:thumbsup:Dave

/ Power King vs. Farmall Cub #15  
I have 2 Cubs and many of the attachments.. My vote would be for the Cub over the PK, but I love my Ford 4WD 1715 with a FEL...

/ Power King vs. Farmall Cub #17  
Wow, less than 24 hours on the forum and already a lot of good information. Thanks everyone.
The cub does not have hydraulics. The cub and two pks have mowers and attachments.

Are you sure the Cub does not have hydraulics? I see the rod to operate the rear rockshaft but no hand lever to operate it. That indicates it does have hydraulics. The front rockshaft would be near the current battery location and would be attached to the lift chains for the mower deck. The operating lever is next to the throttle.

Additionally, the Cub engine was built from 1947 thru 1979 or so, as were many of the other components. Probably explains why there are so many parts available.....

Last edited:
   / Power King vs. Farmall Cub #18  
Properly maintained, there is good reason to believe you could pass on the Cub to a grandchild.

/ Power King vs. Farmall Cub #19  
If it were me I'd go for the Cub too.

I did look over a Power King at a small tractor show just last weekend, interesting lil tractor. But I still would take the cub.

I also think that Cub has hydraulics, another plus for the Cub.