Buying Advice Power King vs. Farmall Cub

/ Power King vs. Farmall Cub #1  

David Propst

I am brand new and know relatively nothing about tractors. I need some help. I am looking at a Farmall Cub with Woods 59 and a Power King Economy with mower. In general they are both in good shape and a similar price. I plan to mow 2-3 acres of flat land with them and maybe garden. Anyone have a preference? Thanks

/ Power King vs. Farmall Cub #2  
Welcome to the formum David. As for the Farmall cub or Power King I am not too sure what to say, I had a Cub years ago and it was really a good small tractor. Any pictures, that would help for sure.

Wayne

/ Power King vs. Farmall Cub
Thanks for the welcome and reply Wayne. Here are pictures of both. Again, they are around the same price and both owners report no major issues, no smoke...

Attachments

• farmall cub woods 59.jpg
    farmall cub woods 59.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,346
  • power king.jpg
    power king.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,694
   / Power King vs. Farmall Cub #4  
One of the tractors I currently own is a Power King economy but looks like mine is a bit newer. The serial number will tell you the year (internet search) and parts are still available although you'll have to do some searching. Mine has the double transmission (tandem). As long as it starts reasonably well and doesn't smoke for more than a minute or two you'll be fine. I've used mine to mow 25ac (took about a week at about 4 hours/day). One thing about the PK's is all parts are generic so you won't have to look for brand specific. I've only had two problems with mine. I had a front spindle break (I've got a FEL) and currently I need to diagnose a differencial problem. I've also abused mine considerably by asking it to do more than what's it's rated (by adding about 2 to 3 hundred pounds of rear ballast so I can pick up heavier items with FEL). Still all in all a good little machine.

Good luck.

Thanks RPW.
One consideration for me is that both Farmalls can be delivered for free or little money. Is there a significant difference that makes the PK worth the trouble to pick up b/c I do want the best and easiest to maintain (knowing they are going to need work).
Thanks

/ Power King vs. Farmall Cub #6  
Thanks for the welcome and reply Wayne. Here are pictures of both. Again, they are around the same price and both owners report no major issues, no smoke...

My cub looked just like that and I had a bunch of extra's with mine. It came with the place when we bought it 30 some years ago and the first winter I spent rebuilding the motor, first time I ever pulled a head off from anything!

I would suspect there are still parts for both tractors and they are rather simple to work on. Limited with regard to how much work they will do for you, but if the price is right they are good to have around.

There are many implements for both of them so you should be able to find things like cultivators, single plows, and other stuff.

Good luck with which ever one you purchase.

Wayne

/ Power King vs. Farmall Cub #7  
the cub would be a better tractor for gardening just because it a offset and has higher ground clearance
the pk is harder to get hard parts for such as drive train but u can get engine parts for it at any lawn mower shop cause they had kolher 12, 14, and 16 hp motors on them
and u still can get everypart for the cub from a local case dealer and there is many after market parts for it also

/ Power King vs. Farmall Cub #8  
Making the best choice probably boils down to which one is in better overall condition. Either one could be a good choice for mowing, etc., but let's face it, these are 40-50 year old machines, and there have probably been things fixed on them previously, and certainly, there will be more needing fixed in the future. Perhaps you know someone who is familiar with tractors who can give them an expert "tire kicking". Otherwise, it's a roll of the dice, but don't be shocked if either one needs some TLC to keep it running.

Also, does either machine have the "gardening" attachments, particularly cultivators? Such attachments were built specifically for each tractor back when these models were built, unlike more modern equipment that use standardized, universal-fit implements. Lacking attachments, you may be limited to mowing with either of these.

By the way, welcome to TBN. Keep asking questions... there are lots of knowledeable people with answers.

/ Power King vs. Farmall Cub #9  
whodat brigs up a good point about ground clearance.

I tend to think of the PK as an antique lawnmower.. the cub is what I'd consider an antique scut. IE.. 10hp job or so.. larger rear tires may give it a bit more traction.. etc.

does the cub have hyds?

soundguy

Wow, less than 24 hours on the forum and already a lot of good information. Thanks everyone.
The cub does not have hydraulics. The cub and two pks have mowers and attachments.