Buying Advice Best compact utility tractor

/ Best compact utility tractor #1  

rroubaix

We're building a horse barn and need help in choosing the right compact tractor. We live in Montana, and really want to have a cab. We need to be able to spear and unstack (not stack, that will be done at delivery) bales of hay. We would also like to be able to run a small backhoe off the tractor. Can anyone advise us as to the smallest, simplest to operate tractor that would meet our needs? Any help would really, really be welcome.

/ Best compact utility tractor #2  
My personal preference is for the Grand L Series Kubotas, but John Deere, Kioti, New Holland and others also make excellent tractors. There is not going to be a "universal best" as one person's preference is an others dislike; case in point, I hate left foot brakes while some love them, so I won't buy a John Deere though it's a great tractor.

My inclination would be for nothing under 35-40 HP with HST. I don't do round bales, so hopefully someone like TEXASJOHN or someone else can give you some advice. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
   / Best compact utility tractor #3  
Welcome to TBN...Of course you're going to get many views on this Q...I'll kick it off by saying my Kubota BX23 (sub compact) has worked very well for me and my applications...It's a TLB package and it's been able to do the chores/tasks I've tackled with it...You'll probably want a bigger tractor for your use...Good luck with your quest.

Don

/ Best compact utility tractor #4  
Welcome to TBN.:)
There's so-so many models to pick from compare to 10-15 years ago..whew.

If name brand doesn't matter much I would seek out dealer w/good back ground..advice/service,also if Mrs going to operate have her feel comfortable and safe..purchase some lantern than kick back and try TBN search,lots of great advice. :)

/ Best compact utility tractor #5  
I didn't know there were any other tractors but GREEN ones !:) Seriuosly, I would go look drive , touch , feel, and check out the dealers track record. look at cab comfort as well. I would look at around what horsepower grade you are going to likely need and start there. I would think your decision will be more of what was previously stated instead of what BRAND. I really haven't heard of any bad ones, that I can think of. Good luck!:thumbsup:

/ Best compact utility tractor #6  
I have a Kubota L4240 HST and really like it and the functionality. I don't have a cab but imagine that would be a must in your climate for winter work. I have really enjoyed my tractor, however if I were buying new again and shop dealers nearby and sit on a bunch of units. See what fits the best and the dealer you feel comfortable with. By 42 hp about 36 at pto (HST) does all I have asked with the backhoe, loader grapple, rotary cutter and post hole digger. I have not lifted bales of hay but imagine if you loader is rated for the lift you would only need to ensure you have proper ballast via loaded tires and rear attachment. If you get some idea of horsepower then the rest is sit and ride on a few and talk with some dealers.

/ Best compact utility tractor #7  
We're building a horse barn and need help in choosing the right compact tractor. We live in Montana, and really want to have a cab. We need to be able to spear and unstack (not stack, that will be done at delivery) bales of hay. We would also like to be able to run a small backhoe off the tractor. Can anyone advise us as to the smallest, simplest to operate tractor that would meet our needs? Any help would really, really be welcome.

New or used tractor?
Which dealers are nearby?
What weight hay bales?

/ Best compact utility tractor #8  
I'd say a Kubota B3030 or a JohnDeere 3320-3720.

/ Best compact utility tractor
It could be new or used. We live 60 miles from Billings; the principal dealers there are Kubota and Deere (I think.)

/ Best compact utility tractor #10  

Apparently TBN was a Kubota only site when it first started...I highly recommend New Holland or John Deere...I have owned both, the John Deere for over 25 yrs. and the New Holland TC-29 D for 10 yrs. The New Holland 29D is a great tractor..I have had no problems in 10 yrs. and I do all my own maintenance and lubrication...I have a front end loader which you would want on a horse farm...it has plenty of power and you could get a good used one in this economy at a real good price.