IH 656 vs IH 674

/ IH 656 vs IH 674 #1  

Yooper350

I've been looking at three used tractors and have it down to these 3. They are all about the same price and condition. My question is if you have to pick a IH 656 or IH 674 which one would you pick and why? My second question is what should I be looking at on either tractor such as did they routinely have certain problems, bad transmissions, strong or weak components? Any information you can give me on either model is greatly appreciated. Thanks

/ IH 656 vs IH 674 #2  
It would depend on how they are equipped but the 674 is a newer tractor with wet brakes and a partial syncromesh transmission. I don't feel they should be priced the same unless it is because of the condition!

/ IH 656 vs IH 674
Both tractors run well and work well, its cosmetic and tires that make up the difference in price. The 656 has probably 70-80% on the rear tires but has mix matched front truck tires and it looks great. Straight metal, good paint, next to no leaks. The IH 674 is very sun faded, some surface rust on the metal but it all looks straight. The rear tires look to maybe be about 40% and fronts about the same and it needs a new seat but is supposedly mechanically sound. What would be my maximum width cultivator I could pull behind these two tractors? In good ground would a 4 bottom plow be too much to ask for ? Thanks

/ IH 656 vs IH 674 #4  
I ran a 656 a couple of summers while installing center pivot irrigation systems. Don't have any experience with the 674.

I believe that the 656 had the Torque Amplifier transmission (at least the one I drove did).

It worked OK - no problems at all. However, the T/A was something that was problematic and prone to failure on a number of IH models.

AKfish

/ IH 656 vs IH 674 #5  
Both tractors run well and work well, its cosmetic and tires that make up the difference in price. The 656 has probably 70-80% on the rear tires but has mix matched front truck tires and it looks great. Straight metal, good paint, next to no leaks. The IH 674 is very sun faded, some surface rust on the metal but it all looks straight. The rear tires look to maybe be about 40% and fronts about the same and it needs a new seat but is supposedly mechanically sound. What would be my maximum width cultivator I could pull behind these two tractors? In good ground would a 4 bottom plow be too much to ask for ? Thanks

I used a 656 on my dads farm. we only had a three bottom plow behind it. We were farming Michigan clay so maybe thats why.

/ IH 656 vs IH 674 #6  
I've been looking at three used tractors and have it down to these 3. They are all about the same price and condition. My question is if you have to pick a IH 656 or IH 674 which one would you pick and why? My second question is what should I be looking at on either tractor such as did they routinely have certain problems, bad transmissions, strong or weak components? Any information you can give me on either model is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Are they both low profile "utility"? Most 656's around here are setup "row crop" high clearance. The low profile would be safer to operate in uneven field conditions. Ken Sweet

/ IH 656 vs IH 674
The main use of the tractor would be for field work, plowing, discing, cultivating and its been brought to my attention that the T/A on the 656 might not be the best for that application but fine for running the haybine and baler. Now I need to consider if I want more HP to do the field work.

/ IH 656 vs IH 674 #8  
I've been around lots of 674's in my time and they were all very good punchy little tractors and very nice for a loader .

/ IH 656 vs IH 674 #9  
The main use of the tractor would be for field work, plowing, discing, cultivating and its been brought to my attention that the T/A on the 656 might not be the best for that application but fine for running the haybine and baler. Now I need to consider if I want more HP to do the field work.

I was fairly certain that's a good part of why IH created the TA, to help with tillage when things got tough, you could grab the chicken stick and pull through it. Some of them (maybe most) with the 1-way dog design don't appreciate being used as a low gear, like when you're going across a field and just want to use the engine braking to slow down, I've heard some folks say don't just pull the torque. if it's pulling and you need more hp, fine, but if it's in a freewheel condition, not so good.

I've never really been around a 674, more than just walk past one at a sale, but my grandpa had a 656RC & a 756RC and I have a 756. Comparing a 656 in RC trim vs a 674, you'll have a much taller tractor with the 656, but if you've found a 656 utility, they should be pretty similar. I wouldn't be afraid of either.

Depends alot on the ground for what you can pull. Our soils in Northern MO will make my 756 smoke some pulling 3 bottoms, and will work 140 hp pretty good if you try to pull 4-16 or 4-18 and try to make good time. Typically, I've seen guidance for plows to be 1pto hp/ inch of plow width, with a range of 12-25hp/bottom depending on actual size of plow, plow brand make, tractor ballast, soil type, condition and groundcover. 10-12' disc and field cultivators would probably be well within either of these tractors' capabilities.

/ IH 656 vs IH 674 #10  
656 any day a tough reliable old tractor.One of the best international ever built.