need help on buying a new tractor

/ need help on buying a new tractor #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have a 2 acre lot. I will probale us it for mowing and some snow removal and misc work with a loader. Please replie.I am trying to choose from a john deere 790,4010,and 4100.

/ need help on buying a new tractor #2  
All of them are probably somewhat overkill for what you describe. However, I know the 790 and 4100 are pretty nice. The 790 is only available with a standard transmission. If you want hydro, you'll have to go with the 4100 or 4010.

Although I've got a Deere, I think you ought to look at a Kubota BX2200 (or, if you really want to go green, check out the new subcompact model (2210?).

/ need help on buying a new tractor #3  
Welcome to TBN. Just wondering why you didn't mention New Holland or Kubota etc..

/ need help on buying a new tractor #4  
Welcome Andrew,

I agree with Roy, and Thomas both. I'm in the same boat that you are with about 3 acres to mow. I've got a NH TC21D, and anything bigger would be very rough to manuever. The 4010, and 4100 would do nicely. I think the 790 would be a bit too big. I say this because originally, I thought about buying one. The other brands offer some great smaller compacts too. As Roy mentioned the Kubota BX model, and NH TC 18,21, the new 24 would be good choices. Hazmat, and Solo have TC 18, and I don't think anyone has a TC24 yet. There are many BX owners, and quite a few Kubota 7000 series owner. All these would work for you. Buy the best tractor that suits your needs , and stay in your budget. With 2 acres of mowing, and loader work, I won't go much larger then the smallest class compact, or a sub-compact. Good Luck,

Kent

/ need help on buying a new tractor #5  
Andrew:

Ditto on the remarks of the previous posters. I would also make sure you are comfortable in your relationship with the dealer. While no one goes into purchasing a new piece of machinery with the idea it'll ever need service, it is so much easier to get advice, service etc.. I met with several dealers when looking, just so happened that the one that stood out and went the extra mile to 'make' the sale sold NH. Am sure othe folks on this list have similar relationships with their dealers no matter what color. All I can say is mine has made my life much easier given theat before this my biggest engine in anything other than a car/truck was 12 hp.

IndianaPaul

/ need help on buying a new tractor #6  
as mentioned in previous post, i beleive the 790 a bit too big.have u tried the others you mentioned.? let us know what u decide.

/ need help on buying a new tractor #7  
For what it is worth I purchased a 4010 with 60" mmm FEL and weight box. I have 5 acres and I think it is perfect for my property. Small enough to mow around the trees yet large enough to do FEL work and whatever else I can think of. The 18 HP seems to be plenty for the size of the tractor. To much more and it would probably make me think it could do something that I probably shouldn't.

/ need help on buying a new tractor #8  
Andrew,
I have a 3.5 acre lot (not all mowable) and just purchased the Kubota BX2200 with 60" Deck, Loader, 5ft rear blade. Some things that I considered in my purchase were:
1) Overall pysical size of the tractor (Wanted parked inside but not by moving other vehicles out)
2) Low center of gravity (As I mow across some steep slopes)
3) Dealer reputation (Service is more important then saving a little money)
4) Wanted 4WD and Hydrostatic.
Just be sure to think it through and take your time. Whatever anyone else suggest, YOU are the one that needs to feel good about your purchase.

Good Luck,
Tazbota

/ need help on buying a new tractor
Andrew,

I have a new Kubota B2910...and 1.5 + 2.2 acres that connect.

I have no good understanding of the other brands. BUT I will say after much thought I ended up going with the 30 HP model, and I am now sure it was the right thing for me to do.

In the first month I have almost reached my 50 hour service point. I have done mostly landscaping stuff on the 1.5 acre property. I have not ever got to the other property!

Back hoe and loader is an amazing combination. I have a rear finish mower also...

I don't think there is an issue with size on these smaller tractors, unless you have a lot of closely spaced trees or narrow spaces to get between.

THink it out and choose what you can afford. Remember...few trade in for smaller units!

Hope this helps!

Bill in Pgh, PA

/ need help on buying a new tractor #10  
Ditto too...recently purchased a BX2200 for mowing, snow removal and light digging. Mow about 1.5 out of 3 acres with a steep hill. The 4X4 is really a plus on the steep hill. Love the machine but sometimes I feel it was an overkill purchase. O'well can't turn back now :).

Dave