New member trying to choose a Tractor

/ New member trying to choose a Tractor #1  

TourNut

I am comparing JD X series to LA series and Craftsman $2799 that seems the same as the LA175. I have two lawns to mow and need a snowblower for winter. Noticed people liking the JD 320 on this. The most troubling to me is the HP rating (17) being lower on the higher end X series than the 9 HP higher (26) on the LA series. And just to get only 22HP on the X series you have to pay almost twice as much as the LA. What the heck? It seems all backwards. In that same issue is the strength of the transmission : the X300 at 17HP and the LA175 at 26 HP using the same transmission. I will need reliable power for the snowblowing function.

/ New member trying to choose a Tractor #2  
The hp ratings on these small engines is pretty questionable. Recently, there were reports of government crackdown on phony ratings. This has long been suspected. HP ratings are marketing gimmicks to a large degree. Pay more attention to cubic displacement or torque ratings.

In the lower priced hydro transmissions, so much hp was lost that the tractor was actually no more powerful than an 11 hp from a bygone era with gear drive, even though large hp stickers were attached.

Pay more attention and do more research into the quality and reliability of the HST used. Is it a low end transmission or one known to have higher quality? That should be your first criteria of differentiation. Shaft or belt drive?

Sadly, in the recent past, lots of lawn tractors boasted big hp stickers while the rest of the unit was cheaply built, low end, cost savings junk. Customers who only focus on hp were fooled in too many cases. Shame.

/ New member trying to choose a Tractor
Well , I finally decided and bought a John Deere X324, 22HP with 4 wheel steer. This is the first new mower I've ever bought as I kept getting my father's hand me downs all these years and he always bought crappy quality stuff and I always rebuilt them. At 57 , I wanted to have a decent one for a change,.........and it probably could be the last one I'll ever buy as I have been known to make $55 crappy mowers last 32 years before, this one should surely be able to last me out.

/ New member trying to choose a Tractor #4  
I am thinking this is a good size mower and reasonably equipped too. You should be able to make it last twenty years. Are you planning on living any longer than that.

Yeah , I'm planning on living another 20 years to 77 at least, my dad is still living and lucid at 90 & he smoked ~70 years . This John Deere should last me to 90, that's only 33 years. I'm hoping to still ride my 4 motorcycles at 80.

What is the cheapest source or deals for John Deere accessories / attachments ? I am planning to get a JD snow blower before Nov. 1st .

/ New member trying to choose a Tractor #7  
machinefinder.com is probably your best bet

/ New member trying to choose a Tractor #8  
There is no such thing as a cheap source for JD attachments for that class machine. Used is rare, and costs almost as much.

/ New member trying to choose a Tractor #9  
There is no such thing as a cheap source for JD attachments for that class machine. Used is rare, and costs almost as much.

I agree, the best way to get a good deal is to keep a look out and be prepared to buy one when you find it. Some dealers can offer lower prices on implements that are in the yard because the dealer may have had to buy two or more at a time to fill a prior customers order. I know that when I ordered my tractor last year the dealer had to buy two of the 1072 field cultivators to get one for me, the second unit is still sitting on his lot and I would expect he would like to turn it over. For this reason I will look around at various dealers when passing and have the time to walk through the implement yards.

/ New member trying to choose a Tractor #10  
Tough think about these small GT attachments is that they are build specifically for a small group of models. That makes them harder to find and dealers usually just do special orders as requested by customers.

I've been looking for implements for years for my JD425. I want:

3PH
more suitcase weights
a rotary broom
a snow blower

Rarely do I see any of them used. When I have the prices were high (no really that much less than new), or it was about worn out. New prices have only gone up over the years too. I've been looking weekly for several years now and haven't gotten any of them.

So, to the OP, if you've bought a certain model JD GT, you may as well buy whatever implements you want now. Or else you may never get them.