Buying Advice Questions about PTO and some advice

/ Questions about PTO and some advice #1  

Monster5601

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 R4 Tires
For the past several weeks I have been reading the various threads educating myself so I will know how to buy a compact utility tractor. I have learned a great deal from here and by also watching you tube videos on various utility tractors.

I have 10 acres in Oakland county Michigan, about 4 are developed with grass and the rest are wooded, marshy, or undeveloped fields. My wife and I want to open up more of our property, remove hundreds of tree stumps, dig a couple of small ponds, plow snow, cut grass and fields, keep drainage ditches clean, cut grass, and maintain a 1000 foot gravel driveway.

Of all the utility tractors, it looks as if JD and Kubota have dealer presents in my area so I have looked at their offerings and came down to these selections:

JD, 2520 or 2720.
Kubota, B3200 or B2630
Attachments, MMM, loader, back hoe, brush hog, snow blade, box blade, log splitter.

Right now I am leaning towards the Kubota because of its bigger and stronger back hoe or am I over looking something?

With that said I have a couple of questions I haven稚 been able to figure out on my own and want to know before I start talking with dealers.

I see the words PTO independent and PTO live in the specifications. In the most basic terms what does this mean and which one do I want? How can I tell if rear and mid PTO can be engaged independently of each other?

The other question is the 3 point hitch and the mid mount lift, how can I tell from the specification if they always lift together or are independent?

I also looked at the Kubota BX25 which comes with the loader and back hoe for an attractive price. Even though it is small it seems to have muscle. Do you think the BX25 would work out for me?

Thanks for help, I mean that!

/ Questions about PTO and some advice #2  
Welcome to TBN. Here is an article on the PTO subject. TRACTOR SMART PTO click on the INFO tab and then the TRACTOR POWER TAKE OFF tab. There is a lot of good info on this site.

/ Questions about PTO and some advice
Welcome to TBN. Here is an article on the PTO subject. TRACTOR SMART PTO click on the INFO tab and then the TRACTOR POWER TAKE OFF tab. There is a lot of good info on this site.

Thank you, I have read that but I had difficultly understanding what they were saying, I think the material may have been dated or too generic. The tractors I am looking at don't have clutches, they are all hydrostatic.

From watching the JD videos on their site, I see how to select the PTO. Is this called independent? Do the Kubotas use the same PTO selection method?

/ Questions about PTO and some advice #4  
I would let the MMM and the backhoe steer my decision. All the rest, in the right size, will work on any of the tractors.

/ Questions about PTO and some advice #5  
I have a BX24 which is nearly identicle to the BX25. From what you are describing to me with your property, the BX may be a bit small for what you want to do. Using BX with hydraulic splitter will work, but may have a slow movement under a load. You may be better off with a standalone even if you get a better tractor. Its easier to keep jobs going in the woods with tractor free. The BX CAN do what want to do, but with all those jobs listed, it will take alot of time. The BX is limited to width of bush hog as well. I'd stick with B, but that not to say BX can't handle it, but you want to size it properly for your lot.

I wouldnt worry too much on what TYPE of pto the tractor has. They all work nearly the same. All it really means is HOW its driven. by tranny? with oil? For a newbie, looking for a specific type of pto really doesnt mean anything. Most people just want to have tractor power thier implement, nothing more to it.

The b2630 at least does look like its sized right for you. Have you sat in any of these tractors yet ? You pretty much got everything narrowed down to what you want, its just a matter of looking at the tractors and sit in them and see how they run and feel and pick one from what you feel fits you best.

/ Questions about PTO and some advice #6  
For the past several weeks I have been reading the various threads educating myself so I will know how to buy a compact utility tractor. I have learned a great deal from here and by also watching you tube videos on various utility tractors.

I have 10 acres in Oakland county Michigan, about 4 are developed with grass and the rest are wooded, marshy, or undeveloped fields. My wife and I want to open up more of our property, remove hundreds of tree stumps, dig a couple of small ponds, plow snow, cut grass and fields, keep drainage ditches clean, cut grass, and maintain a 1000 foot gravel driveway.

Of all the utility tractors, it looks as if JD and Kubota have dealer presents in my area so I have looked at their offerings and came down to these selections:

JD, 2520 or 2720.
Kubota, B3200 or B2630
Attachments, MMM, loader, back hoe, brush hog, snow blade, box blade, log splitter.

Right now I am leaning towards the Kubota because of its bigger and stronger back hoe or am I over looking something?

With that said I have a couple of questions I haven't been able to figure out on my own and want to know before I start talking with dealers.

I see the words PTO independent and PTO live in the specifications. In the most basic terms what does this mean and which one do I want? How can I tell if rear and mid PTO can be engaged independently of each other? All models you mentioned have "independent PTO" which simply put means they have an independent clutching mechanism that is activated when you engage a separate lever; no need to use any type of clutch like on the older models. You can really get off into the weeds on this, but in the simplest terms, just pull a lever or push/pull a button and your PTO is engaged/disengaged.

The other question is the 3 point hitch and the mid mount lift, how can I tell from the specification if they always lift together or are independent? Unless you specify, the MMM and 3-point will work together as John Deere has a kit to operate them separately on some models, I have one on mine.

I also looked at the Kubota BX25 which comes with the loader and back hoe for an attractive price. Even though it is small it seems to have muscle. Do you think the BX25 would work out for me? No, too small.

Thanks for help, I mean that!

Good luck.

/ Questions about PTO and some advice #7  
Monster5601,
I perform alot of these same tasks that you are considering and find there is no perfect tractor that does everything right. I would consider a used JD4000 series tractor or similar Kubota model, something capable of using 6' wide equipment. A used 110tlb would be a good choice for this work and is what I use for most jobs. Get a good unit and take care of it, get the place fixed up the way you wan't. Later you could sell or trade in on a newer smaller unit if desired. Ownership of a used tractor for a five year period is a low cost venture if you don't abuse the machine.

For mowing the lawn I would buy a separate riding mower. You would quickly find out that removing and replacing the mmm to do your clearing work would be a pain.