HST or not?

/ HST or not? #1  

jj4osu

I am planning an upgrade/upsize from my current tractor situation.

Primary uses will be:
1) Grooming riding arena
2) Hauling round bales to pasture - would idealy carry 2 per load, and be able to use FEL to stack 1 row high...bales ~1000 lbs, Use ~100 per year.
3) General light duty work (hauling manure, branches, etc in loader)
4) Mowing/spraying/harrowing pastures.

I currently use a JD 2210 for all the light work, including grooming the arena, and an onld AC 170xt for hauling the hay and any other heavy work.

Looking at getting something that will fit in ALL the work categories.

Have narrowed my search down to something along the lines of:

Mahindra 5035 gear
JD 4320 HST or gear
JD 5045/5055E gear
NH 4055 gear
NH 3050 CVT (diff than HST??) or gear
Kubota L4740 HST only
Kubota L5040 gear
LS 4010 gear

I can get any of these locally, not much difference in the dealers. I really don't like the LS too much, and don't like the operation of the Kubota HST (just doesn't work for me). So can pretty much cross those off.

Leaves me with either a JD or NH if HST is important. If not, probably my top choice will be the Mahindra. Open to any other suggestions for make/model that might work, or if any on this list are definitely better or ill suited for my needs.

Could conceivably go a bit bigger to a 60-65hp in the same footprint of a few of these, but probably don't have a true "need" for that.

What I really need to know is if the HST type tranny is going to be a big deal for me or not. I know the HST on my little 2210 is certainly handy, but it adds quite a few $$ and limits the selection to only a couple models in my size range. I know the shifting on the old AC 170 sucks, but haven't had the chance to operate any of the newer transmission types (sync shuttle, whatever) to know if they are as bad. If they always come to a stop to shift from 2nd to 3rd, maybe so, but having 3 ranges instead of just 2 for each gear would be a marked improvement over the old tractor. Not too worried about shifting from forward to reverse, although HST is sure nice there, it isn't a necessity. But I've had some tell me if hauling bales, the HST is needed, but don't say why.... So, do I need it or not??

Thanks,
JJ

/ HST or not? #2  
For #1 and #3, the HST would be an advantage. For #2 and #4, it would be a draw or go to gear.

HST shines when you have a need to change speed or direction often, loader and close work mainly.

From a reliability standpoint, it's a draw.

Having owned both, price being equal, I would go HST in a heartbeat for any job.

The other big advantage to HST is that your ground speed and PTO speed are uncoupled.

/ HST or not? #3  
So it sounds like you like the Deeres, New Hollands, and Mahindras most. The HST is more $$$ and the gear puts out more torqe and pulling power. Basically gear transfer's a lot more power to the ground than a hst. If you plan for a lot of forward and reverse, get a power reverse gear tractor. This means that you can shift up and down and reverse without using the clutch. This makes it easier that always using your clutch to get into a higher or lower gear. HST is nice but in your case, i recommend a Gear with Power Reverser.

/ HST or not? #4  
...............So, do I need it or not??

Thanks,
JJ

Do yourself a favor and get the HST. Hands down better than gear. And HST leaves a hand free from shifting to do whatever. Wave, scratch, swat bugs, wipe brow, button or unbutton shirt, and the list goes on and on. :D

/ HST or not? #5  
JJ,

You already own a hydro, so it's surprising that you'd be willing to go back when all your work seems more maintenance than field work.

You'll probably just have to test drive a newer one and see for yourself. I've driven quite a few different type of gear shifts collar, tunnel, syncro shift (whatever they feel like calling them from one year to the next) and like beenthere said, no matter what they are called each one of them will tie up a hand (or two) at times.

Moving and stacking bales with a gear tractor stinks. Round bales are awkwardly to begin with. They roll easily and are basically not that easy to control on a spear. You'll need three hands stacking round bales. If you're doing it in a confined area...all the better. Standing on a clutch while near things you don't want to run into is always fun too!

/ HST or not? #6  
For field work, Gear only IMO. You just need a bigger, more powerful tractor with HST to get the same drawbar power as a smaller GST.

For mowing and loader work, HST is best by far but it was done for 60 years with GSTs, so obviously it can be done and well with them. Again, IMO.

I too like the market the Mahindra tractors fill, nice heavy tractors with good power and they are well built.

If you have a field to work (hay etc) then a 3 range HST would be required. Yes, the PTO speed is independant of ground speed, BUT when you disengage the clutch (PTO), you STOP. That's not a good thing on hills and the impliment can still push you with the clutch depressed unless you slip the PTO into neutral. That's not something everyone knows about and fewer are comfortable with. An over running clutch solves this, but adds parts to buy that can break.

/ HST or not? #7  
I have a gear tractor w/hydro shuttle, had it for 10 years. Last year I got a smaller tractor with HST and can really notice the improvement in the ability to apply technique when using the loader. Cruise control is achieved differently on each. I would really have to think hard about what I would want if I ever changed tractors.

/ HST or not? #8  
If you have a field to work (hay etc) then a 3 range HST would be required. Yes, the PTO speed is independant of ground speed, BUT when you disengage the clutch (PTO), you STOP. That's not a good thing on hills and the impliment can still push you with the clutch depressed unless you slip the PTO into neutral. That's not something everyone knows about and fewer are comfortable with. An over running clutch solves this, but adds parts to buy that can break.

I'm not quite grasping what you mean here. On my HST, I disengage the PTO and the tractor doesn't stop. On mine, the PTO will coast if I shift it to neutral, or will brake to a stop if I shift it to stop. Not sure what being on hills has to do with it.
Not saying it doesn't, but don't follow the reasoning here, or the indicated results. :)

/ HST or not? #9  
Can't add to the wisdom given, just agree that you need to spend some time on all of them to determine which is best for you. I prefer the HST, but also use geared units.

/ HST or not? #10  
If you are engaged in work, and you depress the clutch pedal, all engine power to the drive wheels is interupted. You might say you "coast", but my experience with it is closer to stopping, just as if you placed the direction pedal in the "N" position.