Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Cub Cadet 7360SS, MF1100 & JDx585

Default Re: convincing a significant other

I was in a similar situation as you are and many others here were. Existing tractor is either inadequate for what needs to be done or always breaking down. My 70's IH656 worked well, but I was always waiting for something to break. After so many Hydro leaks, smashed fingers, etc, I had enough and the wife could see it. I'd rather be in the seat than parked with wrench in hydro soaked hand. So, maybe start by showing her firsthand the inadequacies and/or the inconsistent reliability of the H. This will hopefully help convince her that a new one is a good investment.

In my situation, it helped that I found a good deal on the Cub. She may have balked at brand spanking new...

Throw in the safety argument too for extra ammo. Is the H a narrow front? PA is hilly and I know I'd never take one on my hills. The new CUTs have flashers, lights, seatbelts, and most important of all, the ROPS.

Good luck.

- Gerald

Tractor
    John Deere 4200 MFWD HST w/ JD 420 FEL w/ 61" loader bucket & toothbar & JD 37 BH w/ 12" bucket

If you aren't cohabitating and haven't yet comingled funds, just go buy what you want. The average relationship one has with a tractor is both longer and, in many cases, more enjoyable than with a given significant other.

I know this isn't the PC way of thinking any more but I can't imagine my significant other telling me what I can or can't do about buying a tractor (or implement or truck, etc.) any more than I can imagine me telling her what she can or can't do about buying a car or appliance or whatever (especially without benefit (?) of marriage.

I shall now sit back and await the inevitable attacks to come. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    JD 855 4WD, HST

Hey Gary,

Actually I gotta agree with you. Before getting married (10 years ago almost to the day) I bought whatever I wanted whenever I wanted - maybe that's why I never had any money back then.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    JD 855 4WD, HST

Gary,

since you are dispensing much knowledge today - do you think my wife might like a new backhoe attachment for her anniversary.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Tractor
    John Deere 4200 MFWD HST w/ JD 420 FEL w/ 61" loader bucket & toothbar & JD 37 BH w/ 12" bucket

TD,

First, Happy Anniversary to you. Today is my little girl's birthday. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Personally, I think I'd stay away from the backhoe as an anniversary gift. I'd suggest you get her something she'll really like AND get yourself the backhoe. It's hard for her to yell about the backhoe when she's so enamored of the really nice, thoughtful anniversary gift you bought her. As with many things in life, timing is everything. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Well, when I bought my tractor..I told the wife after the deal was done ("Oh Lovey...they'll be delivering the tractor this Saturday!!".

Of course..her first words upon seeing it were (this is no sh$t!!!) <font color=red>"Oh boy...it has a loader...easier to bury you with it!"</font color=red>

Of course, she has concurred with the value of the machine since that time..so I'm not in too much trouble.

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

wanta: my situation was diff. for years i made do with an old ford 2n, had a loader but could not do much wiwth it but move snow and cut some field grass. i always wanted a kubota , but never wanted to spend the $$$$. as the years went buy and i got older, the ford got harder and harder, to steer, shift, clutch and get unstuck chains and all. one night after comming in from an extremly long bout of moving snow, my arms were hurting and my leg was tired so my bride (37 years at the time) said why don't you go buy a new tractor, and save youself the aggravation, u ain't getting any younger, we can afford it, and i want you to have it. still i hesitated, but then i finally relented and bought 1 year old b2400, fel, R4's, rear blade and 5ft. finish mower. best thing i ever did. i guess the point i am trying to make is , if u can afford it, and u need it, u should get it. u ain't married yet!!! the lady in question might just supprise u and like it. sorry for the long post.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    NH TC29D

C'mon, Wanta, be a man! Buy the tractor. You'll (hopefully) have plenty of years of marriage ahead of you for her to tell you what you can and cannot buy. Better do it now.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    International 184(1980),KIOTI DK40(2002))

Jeremy, Just tell her that if something were ever to happen to you(God forbid)see would have no problem getting a new mate with that shiny new tractor used as "man bait"....Mike

Tractor
    New holland TC29-9x3 Woods 1012 FEL, Woods, 7500 Backhoe / Kubota L345DT 4WD, Kub FEL, Kub Backhoe

Its simple, just tell her that New Holland has a great deal on the TC33D right now, and that you have to take delivery before the end of Sept. Then once you get to the dealer to sign the papers you realized that you really needed the TC35D instead.

By the way Spencer200 explains all the details on that TC33D deal in the "New Holland Buying and Pricing" forum under the thread "N.H. Interest Rates".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast