Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tractor
    Mitsubishi MT3201 4WD

Default Re: convincing a significant other

Hi Wantatractor,

I have the opposite problem as you, I'm trying to convince my husband that we need a tractor for our 116 acres. Admittedly, he's starting to see the light as the locals charge $30 an hour to brush hog. I'm estimating that to brush hog our lower 25-30 field acres, it'll take 7-8 hours. So the cost of brush hogging once a month will almost make a tractor payment. I'm also courting him towards the idea. What is working for me is periodically buying him various handtools. Most recently, I got him an 11 amp sawzall with an assortment of blades plus a new machette. He's been proudly talking to his coworkers about his new play toys. Find your wife's "sweet spot", whether it be diamonds, chocolate, clothes, flowers, etc and begin leading her to the understanding that you really need a tractor.

Best wishes on your endeavor!

Rhonda

Tractor
    2001 TN65, 1951 8N Ford

Just buy it. It's always easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Tractor
    New Holland TC33D

I guess I was patient, I wore down my wife over several years of tractor shopping. In the end it was my decision, and a big decision at that. During 6 years of marriage all of our big decisions have been made collectively. I believe that's a good thing. Unfortunately, my wife didn't want anything to do with a tractor; the decision would be mine alone, but she was willing to abide by my decision. I went ahead and bought a tractor, her first comment was that it was too big. She gave up her voting rights, and I made decision. Anyway I got her some seat time, I volunteered to do all of the lifting and ground work if she would drive the tractor for me. It worked, last night she asked me if we would be tractoring this weekend. Now it just hard for me to get any seat time: SHE'S GETTING THE SEAT TIME!! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Tractor
    JD 4310

My wife and I just bought 21 acres, and no tractor [img]/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif[/img]. She had resisted getting a tractor due to all the usual reasons (too much money, you can just rent one when you need it, blah, blah, blah). We had gone out and done some work (digging, cutting limbs, clearing a road, etc) by hand. It was one of the hottest days of the year. On the way back home, I asked my wife if she'd mind stopping at the JD dealer that happens to be on the way. I guess she was too tired to argue, so we stopped. I got her to look and talk to the dealer and drive one, and before I knew it, she bought one for me [img]/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif[/img]. Oh, did I mention it just happened to be my birthday [img]/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif[/img]? Believe me, if she hadn't been hot and sweaty from working, my birthday could have been on Christmas and it wouldn't have mattered.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N

<font color=red>Of course..her first words upon seeing it were (this is no sh$t!!!) "Oh boy...it has a loader...easier to bury you with it!"
    </font color=red>

OWWWWW That hurts! [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img] I went through this when I got my first motorcycle. I just came home with it. SHE WAS PISSED!!!!!!!!! Did not eaven want to look at it! Within 3 days she was riding it around the yard.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    John Deere 4200 MFWD HST w/ JD 420 FEL w/ 61" loader bucket & toothbar & JD 37 BH w/ 12" bucket

I never had that problem with a motorcycle, either. To be fair, though, a motorcycle was in place prior to any significant other. I did make what I thought was a fair, albeit inconvenient, compromise with my wife regarding my bike when our children were young.

She is terribly opposed to motorcycles and, while I disagreed, I accepted that. She didn't want our children around them or riding on them, etc., when they were young (until she had the chance to fully indoctrinate them against bikes) so, while I still rode mine I didn't keep it at home, I rented a garage a block or so away and would go there to get it and park it back there when I was done.

My kids didn't know I was a bike owner until they were well into their teens. Mom's plan worked, too. Neither of them will even get on a bike, much less ride one. I have to say I'm not upset by that at all. I know bikes aren't as safe as a car or truck and I'm just as happy my children don't ride (and understand why my Mom wishes that I didn't, either). [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N

Well, my wife rides also, but neather have for a year or two. I still have the bikes, just no time. My baby will be around bikes, I won't push her to ride on the street, becouse of the dangers, but I hope she wants to get some dirt time in. If she wants to street ride, I will be fine with that, but I will make sure she gets the best training, and she WILL know the rules, no drink, good bike, and dress to fall.

Tractor
    Kubota L5460HSTC

wantatractor,

I got some good advice in this thread <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&amp;Board=genbuy&amp;Number=14277 8&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1> Click here for Is it extravagant? </A>

At the time I was trying to buy a Deere, but ended up with a New Holland due to the local dealer's attitudes. Very happy with my little TC18 which I use on 4 acres.

Bottom line, new compact is Faster, more reliable, and SAFER than the old tractor. Regardless of you age, the new tractor will last the rest of your day's of tractoring. (assuming homeowner use. not farm or commercial).

For 4 acres, my tractor is a little extravagant. 45 acres - necessary tool to maintain your paradise. But, since you already have a tractor, your new tractor is a also a little extravagant. I finally convinced the fiancee (wife now) to buy one by admitting that it was extravagant, and yes we don't absolutely NEED one, but it will make me happy, save me time &amp; the yard will look great.

By the way, even after a couple of payments, she is enjoying the tractor almost as much as I am. The Hydro &amp; power steering make it so any person can drive them. Her only complaint is that it doesn't have a horn. She is hoping that Santa Claus will bring her one.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Congrats on the 45 acres.. hope you have many wonderfull memories with it. Suggest that you let her mow it with a riding lawnmower once... I did somehting similar to thatwith my wife. We have 13.2 acres, and were seeding and fertalizing, and I wanted to get a broadcast spreader.. well the wife thought the $260 or whatever it was was unnecescarry. We went out to hand seed and fertalize, and got through about 2 acres ( of just seeding ).. and it got dark. In the morning, we ran into town, and the wife suggested running by tractor supply company to get that seeder!

But seriously... 45 acres needs a tractor... Newer tractors are safer than older tractors.. might say that...

Maybee even suggest joint tractor activities.. you on the classic, and her on the newer easier to drive one?

Soundguy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123