New member looking for input...

/ New member looking for input... #1  

curvecrazy

I'm new here and finally registered. I've been reading the posts here of others for awhile.

I could use some inputs and maybe some other members can help. I'm moving to a two acre property. About half of it grass and half of it woods with house smattered in there between. Looking to buy a tractor against the recommendations of many who say the zero turn mowers are the way to go. Now, I don't doubt that. But I can't deal with snow with a zero turn mower and half the year here in NY is snow and crap weather.

So I have been thinking a tractor in the <24hp range. I guess I'd prefer diesel as they seem to be better for work with the torque. My thinking goes along the lines of a FEL with MMM or pull behind and a rear mount snow blower. I've done a ton of reading and sort of confused. I drove kioti ck20's in both transmissions. Seems OK but not sure I even need that much tractor. But if I go Kubota they seem to cost a lot even in terms their smaller offerings. I also see John Deere 655-755-855's used which look like a nice tractor.

I assume the newer tractors have higher specs than equivalent older tractors like say ck20 vs deere 855 loaders for example. i can get a lightly used ck20 standard with 50 hours bucket and 4 foot back blade for $8700 or a 855 with 1200 hours FEL for $8000. A deere 655 for $5700 with MMM(small 50 inch) and plow blade. I guess I could get along with any of the above. Or should I just get a cheap gas mower tractor/zero turn and a snow blower? Not really sure which way to go here and not wanting to waste money really....

Any advice?

/ New member looking for input... #2  
Of course it depends on what you want to do but with just 2 acres the subcuts could probably get it done. There are many members here with that size acreage that have the JD 2305, Kubota BX, and MF GC models. Have to be careful with these with much work in the woods though.

How to plan on attacking the snow? Snowblower, blade, etc?

My new to me diesel is just 16 hp and I'm amazed all the time how much it can do. Definitely a different world than the riding gas mowers I was used to. Definitely make sure its four-wheel drive.

/ New member looking for input... #3  
Mowing and snowblowing. Personally, I would not buy anything without a hydrostatic transmission.

/ New member looking for input... #4  
Hi,

I too am a recent member after many weeks of reading up on others' posts. :) I have a 4 1/2 acre property that is about half open and half woods. I had many of the same questions that you do. After reading many discussion threads, asking around (a relative in NY with 8 acres of lawn and garden beds and a JD 4410, a friend in NJ with one acre of lawn and a ZTR), and shopping around, I decided to go with a smaller, used tractor, a Ford 1520. (23hp diesel, 4WD, hydro trans)

I made this decision because of the "utility" of a compact utility tractor. A tractor is whatever you make it-- or, more accurately, whatever you attach to it. Have lawn to mow? Hook up the finish mower. Top soil to grade after septic system repairs? Or driveway to level/maintain? Hook up the box blade. Move just about anything (firewood, topsoil, mulch...)? Hook up the front loader. Snow to clear? Use the loader bucket or consider a front or rear mount snowthrower. (And the list goes on.... post hole auger, york rake, tiller, brush hog...) The versatility of a good utility tractor can't be overstated. And, if you ever come up with a new need that you hadn't foreseen, there's probably an implement that will do that job, too.

The tractor cost a little more up front, but I am adding clean, used attachments (mostly found on Craigslist) as opportunity and budget allow.

Even after several years of using a relative's larger tractor for lawn and garden work, I'm amazed at how versatile and how powerful a tractor of this size can be. And the narrower footprint of the 1520 (vs. larger tractors) works well in the woods where the trails are small or nonexistent.

When I started my research, I had planned to spend somewhat less than I did. Now, having worked with my 1520 for a while, I am confident that I made the right choice, and am really happy with it, too. I hope my experience is helpful to you! :thumbsup:

Ed

/ New member looking for input... #5  
I'd get a scut of your choice with a rear mower, not a mid mount, as it reduces your clearance. I'd also look into 4wd, and maybee even hst if you plan to use a loader and snow blower. ( gear will be fine.. but do look into 4wd )

just about anything in the 18-29hp range would be good.

soundguy

soundguy

/ New member looking for input... #6  
Do you have future plans of improving your land?..tractor w/fel attachment or two might come in handy?

I agree w/Bird about HST.

Please your gut feeling and you should be alright.