Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year??

/ Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year?? #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
I'm very new to tractors ...

A local dealer (no brand mentioned, yet anyway) has several models on his lot that have been on his lot for over a year, & are priced lower. One way lower, & I think he said it's been on the lot over two years.

I asked what year this one was, and the sales guy told me "Tractors don't have model years, they just have sort of 'build dates' or 'how long they've been on the lot' periods."

Is that true? Just curious. I've never been a fan of buying used stuff; I always feel like you're buying somebody else's problems. Even if it is at a discount. (I did notice that the little paper sticker labels have serial #'s or codes or whatever starting with "09...") ... Hmmm.

The one that's been on the lot over 2 years made this "interesting" groan as I moved forward on it; Hopefully only rusty brakes getting rolling again, but I dunno, sounded more painful/ serious than just that.

/ Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year?? #2  
I'm very new to tractors ...

A local dealer (no brand mentioned, yet anyway) has several models on his lot that have been on his lot for over a year, & are priced lower. One way lower, & I think he said it's been on the lot over two years.

I asked what year this one was, and the sales guy told me "Tractors don't have model years, they just have sort of 'build dates' or 'how long they've been on the lot' periods."

Is that true? Just curious. I've never been a fan of buying used stuff; I always feel like you're buying somebody else's problems. Even if it is at a discount. (I did notice that the little paper sticker labels have serial #'s or codes or whatever starting with "09...") ... Hmmm.

The one that's been on the lot over 2 years made this "interesting" groan as I moved forward on it; Hopefully only rusty brakes getting rolling again, but I dunno, sounded more painful/ serious than just that.

I have experienced the same thing over the years, but it does drive me nuts. I think it comes from model changes taking place far less often.

One dealer even told me the "year" is the year when it is sold. Which is total BS in my eyes. You could buy a "new" tractor that has been sitting on the lot for four years... and they will act like it is a 2010!

I haven't paid enough attention yet (mine is on order and I never paid ANY attention to ones I have borrowed over the years), but is there a manufactured date stamped on them anywhere?

Me personally, I wanted new. The dealer was offering to sell me a "new but been sittin' on the lot for a year and is used by the dealer to move stock" for a good discount... but I wanted new, as in brand spankin', not been sitting in the weather for any amount of time (other than transport, dealer prep, etc.) new. But that is just me. Nothing wrong with getting a good deal on new old stock. I just bought a camper that way...

/ Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year?? #3  
Yes, it is true. Not like the autos and their years (which change about mid-year when new models come out). Quite a different industry than the tractors industry.

/ Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year?? #4  
The other thing I can't understand is why tractors are not titled.

/ Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year?? #5  
My JD dealer had a 2320 on the lot for about 9 months; said it was a 2009 model. Certain colored parts had started to fade due to being in the sun for so long. I'm sure the tractor was alright, but for about $200 more, I could order a "brand new" 2010 model, which is what I did.

I don't know about anywhere else, but here in NC, if it's titled, we have to pay tax on it every year. For that reason, I'm glad tractors aren't.

/ Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year??
I just don't think I can buy a sun-baked, rain-soaked, slightly fading, slightly-starting-to-rust, makin'-a-weird-noise-already unit. It's not like I'll be leaving mine out in the sun & rain as soon as I take delivery. I treat my stuff very well.

Money is definitely an object for me, but if I'm gonna be plunkin' down say $20K, I'm just gonna have to plunk down a few grand more to start off on the right foot. Call me picky. That older one is gonna have to be somebody else's "good deal" :thumbsup:

/ Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year?? #7  
I just don't think I can buy a sun-baked, rain-soaked, slightly fading, slightly-starting-to-rust, makin'-a-weird-noise-already unit. It's not like I'll be leaving mine out in the sun & rain as soon as I take delivery. I treat my stuff very well.

Money is definitely an object for me, but if I'm gonna be plunkin' down say $20K, I'm just gonna have to plunk down a few grand more to start off on the right foot. Call me picky. That older one is gonna have to be somebody else's "good deal" :thumbsup:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this way!

/ Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year?? #8  
My JD dealer had a 2320 on the lot for about 9 months; said it was a 2009 model. Certain colored parts had started to fade due to being in the sun for so long. I'm sure the tractor was alright, but for about $200 more, I could order a "brand new" 2010 model, which is what I did.

I don't know about anywhere else, but here in NC, if it's titled, we have to pay tax on it every year. For that reason, I'm glad tractors aren't.

You do have to pay county property tax in NC on tractors if they are used as part of a business.

Steve

Last edited:
   / Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year?? #9  
The comment in the first paragraph might be in regards to the start of your warranty. The manufacture date is usually determined by the serial number and can be decoded by the dealer and several Internet sources. Mfgr date and hours are what's important to most people. NOS can be worthwhile if the price is right and you have a new warranty. Also think of the depreciation of that new one you ordered the moment it's off the lot if that's a factor.

Completely understand. Especially about the depreciation. The problem I found was the dealer didn't want to come down near enough for what I saw as a used tractor. In my case, the tractor was "new" as in never been sold... but did have over 100 hours on it. The dealer used it for unloading equipment off the trucks. The discount was not near what I thought was reasonable.

Three weeks later, it was sold. I sure showed them! HA!

Mind you, my dealer is great. This is not a bash against them. I just didn't get the logic myself.

Can't wait to get my new one though. Still waiting for delivery...

/ Buy a model sitting on the lot for over a year?? #10  

The dealer is not selling these tractors as new, he's giving "lower" and "way lower" discounts. Yet, he is offering them with a new warranty and you should not take delivery until you are satisfied with their operation. It just seems to me that concessions to age are being offered. If you aren't interested in these tractors, then by all means buy factory new, recent built. However, expect to pay considerably more. It's the price of being "picky." It's your tractor and your money. You gotta do what feels good to you. Somebody will come along and be very happy with the older tractors.