Wheel Loader

/ Wheel Loader #1  

Believer

Silver Member
Maybe you guys can point me in the right direction. I'd like to have an inexpensive wheel loader for getting gravel out of my creek. Came across a Deere 544g that has transmission problem--no second or third but first and high work. This may go really cheap but I have no experience with heavy equipment. Just wondering what it would cost to get something like this repaired. Also wondering how much to get new rubber on the ground all the way around. If there's another good web site to ask these questions, I'd appreciate hearing. Thanks.

/ Wheel Loader #2  
First of all wheel loaders aren't cheap, neither are the tires for them.

No way to estimate the repair cost without more information, you need the person who would repair the transmission to tell you the cost.

How much material do you need to move?
Have you considered renting a loader for a short time period to do this work? Better yet get a price on this from an excavating contractor.

I suspect that a good workiing small wheel loader about 1 yd. capacity would cost about $25,000 to $45,000 used.

Kubota makes a mini wheel loader model 520? that may work for you too. It is a nice unit though small in stature.

/ Wheel Loader #3  
That is a good machine overall. There are a lot of them out there so finding a mechanic to work on them should not be a problem. Tranny issues are hard to diagnose and price on a forum so I can't help there.

Look on sites Iron Planet and Rock and Dirt for tires but I would think you are looking a 400 or so each for servicable used tires or 7-800 for new tires (of course some brands may be much higher).

Best of luck!

/ Wheel Loader
Thanks guys. I figure this one with the transmission fixed and good tires would be worth $20k conservatively. It's going to be auctioned and so if by chance it were to sell for under $10k it might be worth fooling with. Things that don't run right often go really cheap. I need to pull about 2000 yards of gravel out.