Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much.

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much. #1  

Bunnyblaster

Tractor
JD 3720
Like everyone else in the world, my wife and I are looking at CUTs. We currently have a Long 445 we've been using for mowing, but its time we get something with a loader. I don't really think we need the 43 hp the Long has, and I'd like something that sits a little smaller. We've got 60 acres in southern IL, and its not really flat. Theres an area of CRP that I want to convert to food plots, so I need something that will pull a small disc ok. Other than that I'll use it for mowing and loader work. We've got lots of stuff to clean up on the property.

I've got price quotes on three machines with loaders so far

Kubota L3400 - $18,250
John Deere 3038E - $17,750
John Deere 3032E - $16,750

I need to take a close look at each of them. The way I understand it, the E series Deere 305 loader will not quick detach from the tractor, while the L3400 will. Trying to decide if this is a must.

Any thoughts? Any other machines I should look at? Can I get the prices down any, or is this about as low as they go?

thanks

Aaron

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much. #2  
I think it would be a must to remove the loader. When you are doing some tasks with the tractor on hills, the front loader takes away traction on the rear and can become very dangerous. Also, leaving the loader on all the time wears out your tractor front end a lot sooner. Prices seem fairly inline. If you hit them with a trade in of the Long, the prices will be elevated until they find out for sure your intentions of buying outright or trading in? Suggest buy new tractor outright and sell the Long privately. Ken Sweet

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much.
We've got the Long for sale. Just put it up on Craigslist and a local Trader paper yesterday. I'd like to sell it outright. Figure I'll give it a few weeks and see what bites.

I do think I'd prefer to take the loader off from time to time.

Also got a quote on a JD 3320 - $23,000. I've seen new ones on tractorhouse for $21k or so. Thats a little more than I want to do though. Any other options I'm overlooking?

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much. #4  
If you have quotes from dealers in your area, That is about all you can do, unless you want to drive some miles and buy cheaper and bring the tractor back to local dealers for service and warranty work. Pay close attention to how a dealer treats you and his reputation for follow up after the sale. Ken Sweet

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much. #5  
John Deere has parking stands available for 3032e/3038e tractors with 305 loader list price $325

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much. #6  
Like everyone else in the world, my wife and I are looking at CUTs. We currently have a Long 445 we've been using for mowing, but its time we get something with a loader. I don't really think we need the 43 hp the Long has, and I'd like something that sits a little smaller. We've got 60 acres in southern IL, and its not really flat. Theres an area of CRP that I want to convert to food plots, so I need something that will pull a small disc ok. Other than that I'll use it for mowing and loader work. We've got lots of stuff to clean up on the property.

I've got price quotes on three machines with loaders so far

Kubota L3400 - $18,250
John Deere 3038E - $17,750
John Deere 3032E - $16,750

I need to take a close look at each of them. The way I understand it, the E series Deere 305 loader will not quick detach from the tractor, while the L3400 will. Trying to decide if this is a must.

Any thoughts? Any other machines I should look at? Can I get the prices down any, or is this about as low as they go?

thanks

Aaron

If JD and Kubota are the only local dealers (say within 75 miles), then I'd select a tractor from one of those guys. Folks generally don't want to be too far away from their dealer when service is required (hauling charges can be high).

If you have other dealers nearby, then look at their offerings.
I've owned a Kubota (2005 B7510 HST with the LA302 FEL, 21 hp engine, 17 hp pto, 4WD) and now have a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny). Both are good machines. My guess is that Mahindra will price out lower than JD or Kubota for comparable tractors with the same features.

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much. #7  
The Loader can be a pain when mowing. Otherwise there is probably no need to remove it.:D

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much. #8  
I don't know anything about these model John Deeres, but John Deere makes very good tractors. To me, on this size tractor an easily removable loader would be a must have. Generally Kubota loaders are very easy to remove/install.

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much. #9  
You might ask about the B3300SU package, 33hp with 25PTO hp. with a quick detach loader. It does not come with a mid pto but maybe you don't need that. It should fall in the same price range of the Deere 3032E or slightly lower.

Curt

/ Need help deciding what to buy...don't know much.
Thanks for the help. I've got 2 Kubota dealers within 30 min or so, and probably 3 or 4 JD's in the same distance.

Also looking hard at used machines. Found a good deal on a L3400DT, but didn't know if I would get along ok with it being geared. My current old tractor is geared, but I was originally wanting HST. The same dealer has a L3240HST for a couple grand more with the same hours. Both have FEL. The L3240HST has a Box Blade, and the L3400 has a box, and mower.

Is the Hydro L3240 worth a couple grand more?