Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran Member
    Cherry Valley, New York (near Cooperstown, NY)
    Tractor
    Kubota L4630, with cab and loader, 1951 Ferguson TO-20, 1986 Ford 5610 with loader

Default Re: What to get? Used

Don't worry, Paul!! If you run out of things to fix, I'm sure I can find something to send you to work on! What are friends for??!![img]/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif[/img]

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

Default Re: What to get/What do I need? Used in MI

KEN: FOR 3K YOU CAN DEFINETLY GET A FORD 8N espically if it don't have a loader. i sold my 2n with loader, and 6 ft. finish mower for $3500. was a great tractor,although the non live pto was an issue. i had to use chains on it as the old loaders were heavy and took a lot of weight off the rear end. my loader was a good one, all hydraulic, lift, dump. some have a trip lever for dumping, can't scrape with that hook up. the beter ones allow u to angle the bucket and scrape.with the 6v it always sounds like the battery is about dead, but it is just the nature of the beast, but that thing always started no matter how long it sat or how cold it was.sorry i had to sell it when i got the new kubota. GOOD luck in your search and welcome to the forum..

Tractor
    JD 4200, JD B, JD 50

I would stay way away from the old Ford Ns. I would save my money and buy a more modern Ford of the 600 series vintage. Mid to late 1950s with live PTO and hydraulics. Considerably more tractor for not much more price.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower

Ken, the guys at VanPaemels in Armada have always been straight with me. They carry a wide selection of used machines and they have different machines available most every week. 586-784-5292

Rosy brothers in Dryden also has a large selection of new, old, and very old tractors. They are good guys but tend to be a bit on the high-price side. Just watch your prices over there. 810-796-3770

Nolans in Lapeer has the largest collection of used tractors and attachments I have ever seen. No doubt, their inventory is so large because their prices are 'out of this world'. Expect to pay 50% over retail. 810-664-3798

I bought my tractor at Dick Coultier New Holland. They have a good selection of used machines and reasonable prices. They are located in North Branch, about 20 miles north of Almont. 810-688-3082

There are other dealers that I did not mention because they have little or nothing in the 'used' department.

Jerry

Jerry...Where are you located? We must be in the same area. I'm on 33 Mile just west of North Ave. I grew up in Armada and went to high school with Bob VanPaemel. I remember when they were on Armada Center and sold only used ford n's. Right on about prices at Nolan's and Rosy bro's. Ray Tosch in Capac has some older tractors but he also gets premium prices.

Vince

Veteran Member
    Tractor

Vince, I live on Hough rd, west of vandyke.

Tractor
    Kubota B2710

SoundGuy has a thorough response but let me add my experiences with my 8N. First, I believe they have 23 hp, not 26. Also I was able to bush hog with not too many problems. My lift would hold up the bush hog when I stopped - no chains. And if you want to mow where you park simply knock it out of gear and with the clutch out it will continue to spin the blade. Very important to get the over-running clutch on the PTO for any mowing or bush hogging. Many folks have been pushed into ponds or trees without it. That bush hog blade assembly is like a giant flywheel.

I kept my 8N for 13 years and sold it to get a kubota. Needed one tractor to do my yard mowing and rest of tractor chores. Parts for 8Ns are readily available and they are the classic 50s tractor. Good luck in finding a good used one for your needs.

Veteran Member
    Tractor

Steve, I have a book that lists the HP for an 8n as anything from 17 to 27 hp depending on the year of manufacture.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

The f0-4 I & T manual states 26 hp I believe, and I have also seen as low as 23 hp listed on tractortips.. but there data is not absolutely acurate.. as they don't even list the 8n as having cat1 3pt. lift.

I have also seen different listings for 9n and 2n engine hp...

Either way, about 20 hp at the pto is probably close.

Soundguy

Nice area out there Jerry. Another friend I went to school with has a place on Boardman, about 2 miles west of Van Dyke. Looks nice but he!! to work due to the hills...not a flat spot on it. Our 42 acres are as flat as can be.

Vince

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12