What to get/What do I need? Used in MI

/ What to get/What do I need? Used in MI #1  

Anonymous Poster

I am looking for a smaller tractor to help me with the maintenance and upkeep of 10 acres and our horses. Some finish mowing and pasture duties.

Would like at least the ability to add a front loader when I feel the need.

Used mainly for finish mowing and pasture mowing.

Would also like a post hole implement.

Oh yeah, and I need to keep the price WAY down. House and land cost me enough already. I was thinking of an old Ford 8N just because of recommendations from family.

To add on a little more, I would like to keep it as small as will still suit my needs.

Thanks
Ken H.

/ What to get/What do I need? Used in MI #2  
Re: What to get? Used

When you say low price what are you thinking of. in the 2-4thousand dollar range, or in the 8000 range.

In the 8k$ range you cound get a New holland tc18, and they can be equipped with mid mount finish mowers.. or it could pull a 4' bush hog.

The 8n is a bit different. For starters, the original pto is 1 1/8" not 1 3/8" like standard pto's are today.. however, many have already been converted ove rthe years... and don't worry, the ones that havn't been. You will need an over running adapter for the pto anyway , and you can get one in the older 1 1/8 with the output side the standard 1 3/8. The or adapter lets the hog frewheel when you hit your clutch.. this prevents the momentum of the hog pushing the tractor through the drive train, as an 8n does not have a double stage clutch.

Also keep inmind that an 8n ( 9n and 2n also ) does not have live hydraulics, or live pto. To use the hydraulics ( 3 pt. lift ) the clutch must be out, and the pto must be engaged. What this means, is when you are stopped, the front of the brushhog is on the ground. Most people get around this by rigging some chains on the toplink attatchment point to the lift pin area, and size it so that the mower can't fall to the ground. That takes care of that. Also, untill the tractor is moving, the mower is not up to speed.. so right where you are parked, doesn't get mowed.. again.. no bigie... over half a million of these tractors were made, and many are in use today. Many parts for the 8n can be bought right on the shelf at tractor supply, etc. ( radiator, grill, decals, carb, ignition, water pump, oil filter ).

Not having live hydraulics or pto will make post hole digging just a tad bit harder than it already is, but again.. with technique, and practice.. you can get over that as well.

Many people have loaders for their 8n's.. most of the older ones have no down pressure, but again.. that was the norm for years.. and -any- loader is better than a shovel.. any day of the week.

There are aftermarket kits for live hydraulics and other goodies ( wild thang, and zane thang ) by a guy named zane sherman.... even hydraulic remote kits, etc.

With live hydraulics, the 8n steps up very close to many modern tractors, minus a few bells and whistles.

The original elevtrical system is 6v positive ground.. and works. Many people have converted their system to 12v negative ground with an alternator, or 12v positive ground with a re-wired generator. All three systems work, if wired correctly.

I chose to keep my 8n 6vpos grnd, as it came.
If you get an 8n, or any other vintage tractor, keep in mind that they are around 50 years old... but heck... I wouldn't sell mine for twice what I paid for it.. I love mine.

As for parts and service between a vitage tractor verses.. say an import... it is a toss up. Parts are available for both, but you have to look around sometimes. In my opinion, you will have better luck finding a dealer to repair a domestic vintage tractor, than an import... but that is just because I live in an area that has no dealers that will service my import tractor ( yanmar ).

If you like the classic tractor look .. you might opt for a slightly newer one with more options.. like an NAA, or jubilee, or even a 2000.. very similar. Perhaps even newer as an 851... ( all fords - not that I'm stuck on fords or against yanmar.. that is just where most of my experience is.. ford and yanmar - and love both.- in fact, if you do decide to go import.. check on the yanmars... tons of info available on them.)starting to get some modern options there, but still the older tractor price.

whoa.. looks like i"m rambling on here... better go before a moderator kicks me off.

Soundguy

/ What to get/What do I need? Used in MI

That was an excellent response and no complaints should be made by anyone. Thanks a ton.

Ok, no reason for me to lie... I need one as cheap as I can get it. $3000 would be pushing the price. I know this makes it real hard to find somehting in good working order, but I have to make with what I have. I dont want to take on more payments right now.

I am by no means mechanically challenged, so maintence and repairs are not a big deal to me. But, I do not want a complete restoration.

If I can get an 8N for a good price, that is what I am looking at. Since it is so common place.

Front end loader, finish mower, rough cut mower and maybe some type of tiller or so. But, I know I will not be able to get all these for the price I can afford. I just need at least the mower up front. And hope the front loader will come along too.

I will look into the Yanmar and such, but just so much controversy about them makes me shy away.

Thanks
Ken H.

After doing some reading, I see there are some other people from MI on this board. I am from the Almont area.

So, who are the good guys to go talk to around here?

Ken H.

After lots of reading, I see a lot of my questions were answered by just searching.

I still dont know what I should do though.

I know the quality/reputation of the Japanese motorcycles... what makes the tractors such a no no to some people?

Ken H.

/ What to get/What do I need? Used in MI #6  

Soundguy pretty much summed up the 8N for you. Also consider getting a Ferguson TO-20 or TO-30. They are very similar to the 8N's, and are just as good. For mowing purposes, they're even a little better, because they're geared a little slower.

I have a Fergie, and I love mine, and would compare it against almost any "modern" tractor of the same size, or even slightly bigger.

On a limited budget, a vintage tractor is the way to go!

/ What to get/What do I need? Used in MI #7  

<font color=blue>That was an excellent response and no complaints should be made by anyone. Thanks a ton.

<font color=black>Thanks. I tried to limit what I said to the tractors that I actually own, and have worked on.

<font color=blue>Ok, no reason for me to lie... I need one as cheap as I can get it. $3000 would be pushing the price. I know this makes it real hard to find somehting in good working order, but I have to make with what I have. I dont want to take on more payments right now.

<font color=black>I know what you mean.... I'm still paying for my NH 1920.. and will be for a while. 3k is a realistic number, either for a yanmar or a vintage. I bought both my yanmar and my 8n for under 3k each.

Based on what I have seen for local prices, and on ebay, you will be able to find a yanmar in your range.. might have a loader.. but the yanmar will probably be a smaller model.. like a 1500.. guess on 15 hp at the pto.

An 8n is 26 engin hp, and probably at least 20 pto hp. I see these all day for 1k and up. There are 5 pages of 8n stuff on ebay right now some with loaders.. some under 3k... and with other impliments.

If you can turn a wrench & grease and gasket maker doesn't freak you out, either type of tractor can be a viable option. More than likely if you go vintage, you will get more size/hp for your dollar.. and it will be up to 50 ys old... the yanmars will be smaller and have less hp.. and will be about 20-30 years old.

There was some debate on whether or not grey market parts would still be readilly available.. but mst of the dealers seem to say that they will.

Some parts are just hard to get.. vintage or import.. etc...

However, here is one point. I was thinking about rebuilding my ym1700 one time, and couldn't locate a mechanic willing to do it.... however, half the old guys where i work have rebuilt old ford 8n engines. Just something to think about. I guess if I needed to, I could find a guy at a john deere dealership and see if they wanted to work off the clock, etc.. ( yanmar makes /made ) most engines for jd for some time now... depending on the model, etc. )

<font color=blue>I am by no means mechanically challenged, so maintence and repairs are not a big deal to me. But, I do not want a complete restoration.

<font color=black>My yanmar came in excelent condition, and needed only minor wiring work. My 8n was in running condition, and also needed wiring work.. but the cosmetic condition wasn't great. Since I have another tractor to use, I'm restoring the 8n as time and $$ comes in.. short on both usually... that's why the 8n is under the tarp right now. I just go out and crank her up and let her idle for a few minutes each weak so she remembers how to do it when i get all the body work done.

<font color=blue>If I can get an 8N for a good price, that is what I am looking at. Since it is so common place.

Front end loader, finish mower, rough cut mower and maybe some type of tiller or so. But, I know I will not be able to get all these for the price I can afford. I just need at least the mower up front. And hope the front loader will come along too.

<font color=black>Sounds like vintage may be the way to go.. especially if you are willing to sacrafice a few bells and whistles.. like loader down pressure, live hyd's and pto... people have been doing it that way since the 9n in 1939.... ( a similar machine ).

<font color=blue>I will look into the Yanmar and such, but just so much controversy about them makes me shy away.

<font color=black>If you could get a good deal on a larger yanmar, say ym2000 and a loader for the same price as the 8n, i would go for it... but I doubt you will. The yanmars with loaders are in that middle price area.

good luck

Soundguy

/ What to get/What do I need? Used in MI #8  

<font color=red>I need one as cheap as I can get it. $3000 would be pushing the price</font color=red>

I feel your pain. I was hoping to have 3 grand to spend myself, but now I am talking 2./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I still think I can find something, I'm luckly that I can fix things. So hears hoping that there are at least two more $2000 tractors out there. Then we will bolth be set./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ What to get/What do I need? Used in MI #9  

Don't worry, Paul!! Even for $2k, you'll find something, even if it needs a little work. I know you can handle that!

/ What to get/What do I need? Used in MI #10  

<font color=red>I need one as cheap as I can get it. $3000 would be pushing the price</font color=red>

Handle it? I live for it./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I don't know what I would do with something that I did not have to fix.