Buying Advice Upgrading from JD 425aws to ZTR.

/ Upgrading from JD 425aws to ZTR. #1  

425awstojd2320

Well here's my story. Looking to upgrade from our jd 425 aws 54" to a ztr. Personally loved the 425-had some issues over the 10 years but overall loved the unit. Now has 1050 hours and my wife has developed some shoulder issues and is having a rough time steering--thinking a ztr is the way to go. I certainly cant argue w/the idea of upgrading. We mow 6+ relatively slope free acres. Most is somewhat rough (old hay field turned sub-division converted to lawn mostly.) We have hundreds of trees to go around and very few wide open clear areas to mow. Demoed a jd z425/445 last year--cut well but way too rough of ride for most of our lawn--made me realize we needed more of a "commercial unit". Last week demoed a 2009 Land Pride zxt pro 54" kawasaki 25hp gas. MSRP per dealer $7819 quoted $6585. 2010 models req. ROPS which adds $800 so he thought the 2009 would be a good buy w/o the ROPS requirement. Cut well but couldn't go much faster than the 425 due to the rough terrain. It did seem to leave a ring around the trees where it cut about 1/2 inch lower on the outside radius of the circle--not a big deal-couldnt really tell by the next day once the grass grew a little. Wife approved but I decided I wanted to check out the Ferris brand before pulling the trigger. Went to Ferris dealer today, took a 3100 and 2000 ztr for spin around the store. Could immediately tell the ride was smoother on both. The upgraded seat on the 3100 was very nice, even the standard seat on the 2000 was better than the Land Pride or jd 425. Think I could easily go max speed across our lawn w/o difficulties so I am almost sold on the Ferris. Only hang up I see is the occasional issue w/ the engine loosing power when engaging the deck but that seems like a somewhat rare problem--2 year warranty should resolve any immediate issues. Cut quality has also been brought up but would assume it is going to be atleast as good as the 425. Quoted $8595 on the is2000z 61" 26 hp kaw standard seat and $10,975 on the IS3100z 37hp 61"kawa w/upgraded seat--both prices seem reasonable given prices on ebay atleast. Upgraded suspension seat adds $900 per dealer, seems like a lot but is probably worth it since we plan on keeping it for 10+ years. Was ready to demo one of them at home to make the final decision until I asked about the IS2500z diesel. Now I have a dilemma. I love the idea of the diesel--also have a JD 2320 which is diesel--so would only need to keep 1 type of fuel. Also like the longer life of diesel engine and less fuel consumption described on other threads. Downside is the retail is $11699, asking $10900, for the 52" plus another $900 for the upgraded seat and 10995 for the 61" w/standard seat--that starts to be some real money. The dealer happened to have a 2500 in a crate that he is going to bring out Monday for a demo at home--cant wait. Think I may be nuts for spending $12000 on a mower (after spending $18500 on my 2320, fel, mmm, bb tiller in the past year) but I think it may be worth it. Atleast I should be able to get $3500 for my 425 so soften the blow. Sorry for being long winded but wanted to be thorough.
Thanks for any replies. I love this site.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=167590&stc=1&d=1275776316

Attachments

• IMG_0557.jpg
    IMG_0557.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 780
   / Upgrading from JD 425aws to ZTR. #2  
If you can get the KAW EFI gasser, I'd do that over diesel. There is really no advantage to a diesel ZTR for a homeowner other than the resale will be higher.

However, you have got to account for what the extra up front cost will cost you. As you pointed out, you can get a LOADED wide-cut gas ZTR for less than a stripped narrower diesel, to me that's a no brainer.

If you are running thru 50 gallons of fuel a week and can save 20% of that with a diesel, well that's a different (commercial use) arguement.

/ Upgrading from JD 425aws to ZTR. #3  
Can't comment on any of those.
But $900 for suspension seat, WOW.

I have an Ariens Zoom 2560 XL, 25hp 60" cut.
Had the dealer order the suspension kit for the seat.
Can't remember the exact price but I'm sure it was well under $200.
That was 3 years ago.

Good luck on your purchase, always fun buying new stuff.

/ Upgrading from JD 425aws to ZTR. #4  
There are suspension seats and there are Suspension Seats. :D

Appears we started a second thread on this subject. :confused3:

/ Upgrading from JD 425aws to ZTR. #5  
There are suspension seats and there are Suspension Seats. :D

Appears we started a second thread on this subject. :confused3:

Didn't mean to.:ashamed:

You're correct.
Just that $900 figure seemed high.

Could add that mine is a 25hp gasser similar to the 2000z 61" 26 hp kaw he is considering and it seems to have plenty of power.
I cut about 4 acres.

/ Upgrading from JD 425aws to ZTR. #6  
I did not know you could upgrade mowers if you had a JD425. I thought that was about as good as it gets. I understand the ztr is faster and newer, but better, I don't know?

/ Upgrading from JD 425aws to ZTR. #7  
How is the shoulder issue a problem with the 425? If it has power steering, one hand operation would seem to be possible, and the ztr will always require two hands. I also think the ztr mowers are a little rougher riding.

I will learn to steer with my ears before I buy a zero turn, but I have shoulder problems and the act or rotating regardless of how easy the steering is can be quite painful, so I can see the attraction for some.

/ Upgrading from JD 425aws to ZTR. #8  
Why not use the MMM you got for the 2320? Or do you and the wife mow at the same time with 2 units?

/ Upgrading from JD 425aws to ZTR. #9  
I get the feeling that the steering issue is more a scheme to get a new machine. :D

I was out mowing with my AWS 445 (same as my AWS 425) and it is just one full 360 degree steering-wheel turn from straight to full stop.

I think it is time for some shoulder therapy which includes some exercises to build up the shoulders. I had shoulder problems that were leading me to shoulder surgery, until my Physical Therapist advised some simple exercises to build up the muscles. It worked very well and I've not had problems the last 5 years. Now no surgery on the horizon. :)

Last edited:
   / Upgrading from JD 425aws to ZTR. #10  
My next door neighbor is a commercial mower. He started off with JD, then Dixon, next Scag, and now runs and has for the last 7 years Ferris. He has had the 1500, 2000, and 3100. All have had Kawasaki engines and these mowers are as good as they get. He currently runs a 3100 with the 72" deck and a Kawasaki 37HP engine and this thing is a beast. He does 6 acre jobs in 45 minutes. He also has a 2000 with a 61" deck and a Kawasaki 27HP motor. They have been bullet proof running 30 plus hours a week. He has a Scag 60" unit as a backup but never takes it off the trailer.

Get the Ferris. You will be happy you did. By the way I do not own one so no vested interest.

To finish the story the JD was belt driven and did not last more than 2 seasons. The Dixon wore clutch packs like crazy at $800 each.

Also my co pilot just bought a Ferris 500 with the Briggs 26HP engine and a 61" deck for just over $5700 out the door. He has 6 acres and can do it in 1:45 minutes the first time out. He will get faster but the 500 is a home owners model made to commercial specs. He came of a Dynes 72" deck 20HP Kohler powered ZTR that took him 2:20 to mow with. He had it for 12 years but was slow and always broke.

Chris