grey tractor?

/ grey tractor? #2  
One that was not originally made for the American Market. Typically, these are imported used.

SHF

/ grey tractor?
So, what seems to be the problem with them?

Ken H.

/ grey tractor? #4  
Most don't have the safety equipment required of US sold tractors. Replacement parts are perceived to be a problem. There are dealers who are very active in servicing this parts market. Many of the greys are very similar to American models but getting crossover numbers can be difficult. Many dealers in American tractors/parts won't give you the time of day if they know your are looking for parts for a grey tractor. Operator, parts and service manuals are for the most part in Japanese.

Most of the grey tractors I've seen came from Japan and were used to run tillers in rice paddies. They are lighter in weight than traditional farm tractors, therefore have less traction for pulling ground engagement attachments.

I'm sure I've omitted some positives and negatives, but others will throw in their comments.

/ grey tractor? #5  
They are quite popular over here (Not with dealers but with the buyers like me!)

The one I have is almost identical to the "real" model with only some minor differences. Parts have yet to be a problem.

I can sort of see the dealer's agro with them but Kubota made mine so if it is as good as the rest of the Kubotas around, it should be OK.

I might ad we have an active vehicle import market here (From Japan) so tractors aren't the only grey things around here !!

Having said that, I wouldn't buy a grey car, but a tractor that I use very infrequently was fine!!

Cheers

/ grey tractor? #6  
Those japanese import cars are not grey market... they are imported, but were intended for the us market.. and therefore must meed safety / emissions, etc codes for import. The key is that they were manufactured, and intended to be sold in our market. The gre market yanmars for instance, were manufactured and intended for the japanese market.. not the us market.. when they get imported to a market other than the one(s) intended, they become greys.

I would wager that a jap car imported here, then sold and taken back overseas, would then be a grey market car.. in its own country of origin.. as it was not intended for that market.. etc.... what a thought!

Soundguy

/ grey tractor? #7  
SG

Remember where I am here !!

We import cars made and sold new in Japan. They run them for a couple of years only then sell them.

Quite legal and quite popular here.

Cheers

/ grey tractor? #8  
I have owned two Yanmar tractors (grey market). They are well built tractors and much cheaper than "US" tractors. I may be wrong but most small US tractors are made in Japan, Korea or India. I have never had problems getting parts or service. As for the safety problem, a $50 overruning clutch and a $500 ROPS takes care of the safety issue.

/ grey tractor? #9  
There is nothing wrong with the grey market tactors. Most of the problem is the sams as the US Market in Used Cars. Crappy dealers. If you have a good dealer then you will be happy. If your dealer is less than honest you will be unhappy.

/ grey tractor? #10  
Neil:

Please forgive us in the old U.S.A. as we sometimes forget there are other people on the planet and the internet. It is very easy for us to talk about things as we see them.

Grey is a color and economic concept that is equally interpreted around the globe. Many grand old American made and American bought new vehicles are grey around the world in places like Russia, Pakistan, Mexico, the Phillipines and elsewhere.

That Rolls Royce (when made) sold in Britain new and sold in
the U.S.A. a year later used, is just as grey as that old Yanmar YM1500 sold new in Japan and used in Canada or the U.S. or Australia or Great Britain.

Thanks for reminding us that our perspective here is sometimes very narrow in focus.

How's flying these days?