John Deere vs Kubota(again)

/ John Deere vs Kubota(again) #1  

blainesdad

Tractor
2155 John Deere , 2550 John Deere MFWD with 175 loader, John Deere 5310 MFWD with 541 loader
I know these threads are everywhere in here, but I have not seen any for the tractors that I am specifically looking for. I am in the market for a used utility tractor in the 55-70HP range. I am wanting 4WD or MFWD with a loader. I have found a 2004-2005 Kubota M6800 with LA1002 loader that fits the bill and also a 1999 John Deere 5310 with 541 loader. Would really like some more knowledge on these from you guys who know.

Here is what I see in the two that I like.
Kubota M6800
1. More HP
2. I like the gear layout
3. Loader hydraulics aren't ran to the rear

John Deere 5310
1. Seems to be a wider wheelbase(less top heavy)
2. John Deere(have always had them in the past)
3. Turbo not normally aspirated.

Here is what I don't like about them
Kubota M6800
1. Appears to be a smaller wheelbase and possibly more top heavy..not very conducive to cutting/raking/baling hay on some of the hills here in East TN
2. Operator station isn't that great

John Deere 5310
1. Less HP
2. Hydraulic situation

I know I have heard some guys talk about planetary drive, etc, etc. I don't know anything about all of this stuff. First 4WD tractor I have ever even looked at.
Thanks for any info

/ John Deere vs Kubota(again) #2  
What are the hours and condition of each?

/ John Deere vs Kubota(again) #3  
With used equipment, the condition counts for a lot in the buying decision. The M6800 and 5310 are both widely used models from top manufacturers; you wouldn't go wrong either way. If they are both in basically the same shape, choose the one you prefer.

Regarding wheel spacing, remember the rims on these tractors can be set up to give several different widths. Is the M6800 on its widest configuration?

Just comparing specs at tractordata.com, it looks like the M6800 has quite a bit more hydraulic capacity, a 4 cyl vs. 3 cyl engine, 8x8 vs 9x3 trans. Otherwise quite similar, on paper at least.

On the 5310, adding a rear remote hyd hookup is not a great expense, don't let that deter you if you'd otherwise prefer green.

Best of luck with your choice!

/ John Deere vs Kubota(again)
What are the hours and condition of each?

The 5310 is a 1999 model with 1400 hours on it. The Kubota is a2004-2005 model with 450 hours on it. Prices are very similiar. Both of the tractors are in very good condition, don't look to have been abused in any way.

Also there is a 2003-2004 John Deere 5320 that has crept into the picture. It has about 1000 hours on it. Guy is needing to sell it pretty bad;)

That is something that I didn't know about the Kubota's is that if the wheels on the Kubota's were able to be set out. They look to currently be set all the way in...looks very narrow to me.

/ John Deere vs Kubota(again) #5  
Lower hours more HP would sway me alot.

Looks like there is 13 inches to vary tread width

Tread width

Front 2WD in.(mm) 55.9-71.7 (1420-1820)
Front 4WD in.(mm) 55.9-59.8(1420-1520)
Rear in.(mm) 55.9-67.7 (1420-1720)

http://www.deenimplement.com/kubota_m-specs68.htm

Last edited:
   / John Deere vs Kubota(again) #6  
They are both good machines, but if I were choosing between them based on the info you provided, I'd go Kubota. The M6800 has been one of Kubota's best selling tractors, it really put Kubota into the larger unit market. Your plus is it is newer and has less hours - boils down to your availability of nearby service/parts and what you feel comfortable with as you'll be in the seat.

/ John Deere vs Kubota(again) #7  
I'd probably choose the M6800, but you have to go with whichever one you prefer. By the way I'm also in East TN. Good luck.

/ John Deere vs Kubota(again) #8  
They are both good machines, but if I were choosing between them based on the info you provided, I'd go Kubota. The M6800 has been one of Kubota's best selling tractors, it really put Kubota into the larger unit market. Your plus is it is newer and has less hours - boils down to your availability of nearby service/parts and what you feel comfortable with as you'll be in the seat.

Can't argue with that. Kubota is a top-tier brand and, in the OP's example, it is newer with fewer hours.

Everything else being equal -- which it appears they kinda are -- the Kubota would be my choice.

/ John Deere vs Kubota(again)
Thanks for all of the replies up to this point. As far as model year I agree. I think at this point I have ruled out the 5310 due to age, etc. So now I am kind of stuck between the M6800 and the 5320. They are basically the same year models..2004ish and while there is a difference in hours, 500 hours isn't very much. So does anybody have any mechanical comparisons between these 2 units? I really like the Kubota, but my green blood is begging me not to...ha ha!

/ John Deere vs Kubota(again) #10  
I would say sit on them and try them out, one may fit you better than the other. Work them both, if possible, see what yu like and don;t like. Go to the dealers, try to get a feel for both the arts department and service, which has the better facility, which wants to serve you more, which you are more comfortable with, good and bad of each. Then make a list of pros and cons for each, see which comes up better for you.

Good luck in your search.