John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740?

/ John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740? #1  

Matt in Virginia

Bronze Member
Gentlemen,
I come from a row crop background and my family has been farming within 25 miles of my current location since 1635 on my father's side. We have yet to nail the exact year on my mothers side. In short we were involved in modest acreage(850 acres plus or minus) until 1990 when the farms were rented out...

The only tractors I have run have largely been from Deere. Specifically a 4840 that I operated until 90' and a 1970 4020 Diesel that my Grandfather bought and my father partially restored(full mechanical rebuild) and left me. In short the 4020 is proving to be anything but reliable(electrical & fuel injection pump) and I am not a mechanic. Hence I need something to do a bit of property upkeep. I've largely narrowed it down to a Deere 4720 with Cab, ehydro, 400CX loader, etc OR a Kubota 5740 Cab tractor equipped with their heavy loader. I should note that I have a significant allergy problem and the pressurized/air filtered Deere Cab is proving to be a significant draw.

I might also note that we also have had a Deere 310C since new that has been used on the farms exclusively and has proven to be almost legendary for it's reliability. After literally thousands of starts and 22 years the battery had to be changed this year...

In short it is hard for me not to go Deere, however, I am impressed with Kubota's build quality. I'm not impressed by Deere's new junk 5000 series(regardless of d,e, or m suffixes). My interested in that tractor died on the vine when I found the "Made in China" Dana Tag on the MFD Axle.

The 6030 Premium Tractors should not even be mentioned in the same sentence as the 5000s. Damned nice machine, however, it is about $35K more than my $40K budget. In short I'd love a new 6430 Premium or a 7830, however, I need something compact, comfortable, does not break the bank, and fits in my new barn...(36'x48'x12')

In short your thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

The only issue I have with Deere in this area is trying to get someone off their butt in order to quote a price. I find their general attitude to *suck*. As if you doing them a favor to buy a $40,000 glorified lawn mower.

That said I have found a new Deere dealer, James River Equipment, about 45 minutes away who actually seems to be interested in selling his product. The local Kubota dealer is a pretty decent outfit that used to sell Ford/New Holland and now the entire lot is orange... It is also hard to ignore all the landscapers who run Orange. Almost no one but Farmers and the modestly wealthy seem to run deere...

Best Regards, Matt.
Chesapeake, Virginia

Btw, Another reason the Kubota calls is when I compared the quality of their Utility Vehicles. The Gator is POS(from experience) compared to the Kubota Diesel UTV. Granted this is apples and oranges, however, it is hard to ignore as a general statement of quality.

/ John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740? #2  
As much as I like Kubotas, if allergies were a problem and the John Deere cab is better at filtration, I would go with the Deere. I have a couple of older cab models of different makes and still have itchy eyes at the end of a day of bush hogging. I also use open station machines, so it's not that big of an issue for me right now.

/ John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740? #3  
First of all Welcome to the forum.

If it were me I would come up with a budget to fix up the 4020 and 310C. I would then compare the new 4320, 4520 and 4720 cab tractors. You may find you can get a 4320 cab unit and repair the other two tractors for about the cost of the 4720.

The older 4020 electrical and injection systems are simple enough not to be a huge problem to fix and I would get this taken care of. Injectors are easily changed and the injector pumps can be removed and taken in to an injector pump shop to be rebuilt and then replaced. A better understanding of the actual problem with the fuel system would be very helpful. I would not wan't to run the engine much with injection problems as a bad injector can burn a hole in the top of a piston. The electrical problems might be as simple as cleaning and checking terminals to batteries and grounds. On an older tractor like this you may need to change out some cables. If your dad has already gone through the mechanicals it sounds like you need to simply finish the job up. A well cared for 4020 would be an excellent tractor to have on a place such as yours.

I assume that you no longer have the 4840 but still have the 4020 and 310C and with buying a new smaller tractor will need a new set of implements. My experience with the 4520 has been very favorable and suggest you consider this model as well. If you compare the pricing on the Deere "build your own" site most people are purchasing the new equipment for about 15 to 20% off of list.

Ideally having the 4020, 310C restored and a new 4320 thru 4720 cab tractor would be a good choice of equipment.

I should also mention that the 4020 has been considered by many as the best Deere tractor ever built and I see lots of them selling between $10,000 and as high as $30,000 for fully restored models. If it were me I would paint and detail this tractor and be glad I had it.:D

/ John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740?
Gentlemen,
I appreciate your courteous welcome...

I was afraid I was going to hear that about the 4020...(smile) I failed to note that I have a brand new in box John Deere Factory Hood sitting in the loft of my barn. My father bought it and it has never been taken from the box awaiting the cosmetic restoration. I also bought a pair of L & R USA Made replacement fenders in John Deere buff as a gift to my father in 2007. He passed away suddenly due to cancer and the fender set sits not far from the hood along with more than a few JD factory replacement parts from a new Tac, Gauges, front, side/front screens, etc. Not to mention more than a few JD odds and ends still in the box. Dad's final contribution to the tractor was a brand new set of BF Goodrich Radial Rear Tires on the back. The rims need, according to my mechanic, to be replaced as one is distorted and the tire tech put little to no surface prep on the bead seating area...

Said former John Deere Mechanic, who now works for himself from his home/farm, completely rebuilt the transmission about a year and a half before Dad passed. I remember as I was amazed how $3K of transmission parts fit so well in 20" by 20" box when we picked them up from the dealer.

As a side note I had decided to convert to the 4020 to a wide front end with one of 24/7s USA made HD Spindle Kits. Do believe the next 2K that is not ear marked for something else will go in that direction before they take another price hike. They were $300 cheaper in late 06' early 07' when I bought the fenders...fwiw

At any rate I have been building my new barn, detailed project, for the last couple of years and we are finally getting close to the finish line for it to be usable. Only wiring, concrete sealing, and closing in the climate controlled areas remain...

At this point I need something that works for cutting grass, bush hogging, and front end loader work. The 4020 is a great project, however, It is anything but reliable and I have NO HELP from the extended family across the property line. Hence my desire for the 4720.

The 4020 will have to wait as I don't even have the tools out of the CONEX box which is sitting beside the barn to do anythiing but basic upkeep.

I GREATLY appreciate the input on what the new equipment is selling for... I will no doubt have a question or two more as I get closer to buying the 4720. Which I intend to have working in less than 60 days. Thank you for your input...

Regards, Matt in Virginia.

Last edited:
   / John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740? #5  
I'm not sure the air filtration is any different on the Deere than the Kubota, both are tightly pressized and filtered cabs, heck your ears almost pop when you close the doors.

/ John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740? #6  
I bought my 2009 4520 last year and could have bought the 4720 but did not see the need for the extra power in such a small light tractor. You would need to know there is some specific pto operated attachment that requires the higher hp rating of the 4720 imo. Otherwise for most jobs I couldn't tell the difference between the two tractors and went with the 60hp/50hp pto in the 4520.

From reading your postings, now might be a good time to sharpen up your mechanical skills, years ago I got involved in this because I could not afford to pay a mechanic. Sounds like most of what your 4020 needs is time and elbow grease.

What ever you decide to go with I would recomend you get the diverter valve and third outlet, using the IMatch system is much easier when you have top and tilt 3 pt hitch. I can change implements in alot of cases without leaving the seat in less than 2 minutes.

/ John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740? #7  
I'm not sure the air filtration is any different on the Deere than the Kubota, both are tightly pressurized and filtered cabs, heck your ears almost pop when you close the doors.

I have also wondered if there is really a difference or not as my L5030 is fairly good and the L40's are a significant improvement over it.

/ John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740?
I have also wondered if there is really a difference or not as my L5030 is fairly good and the L40's are a significant improvement over it.

Gentlemen,
It could very well be true about the pressurized cab and filtration being the same on Kubota as it is on Deere. That said I don't believe it. Deere has a touch more experience building tight cabs. My family used IH Harvester from the very beginning. I was one that made the turn to observe that John Deere 40 series Cabs were superior and they were/are... Very few use IH 1586s anymore, however, there are more 30 year old 4840s in the field, atleast around here, than you can shake a stick at... The farmer that tends our land had three of them planting the other afternoon. Should have taken a picture...

This is a moot point as my plans for the day were shot in the head by a sick employee this morning. I decided to stop by the Kubota Dealer to give them one last shot. Oddly enough they had one cab tractor on the lot. Don't remember the number, however, it was not a 5740. Want to say it was a 3940, however, I would not swear to it. In short the dealer said it would be the same cab on the 5740. In short the cab was cramped for my frame. It looks proportional on the tractor, more so than the deere, however the inside it is sorely lacking by comparison for room and ergonomics by my estimation. I drove it a bit and found I did not care for their Hydro Pedal nor the location of the hydraulics. Granted this is a personal observation, however, the comfort of a cab makes a great deal of difference to me when making a purchase decision. Spend 10 hours a day with your neck in crick looking back at an implement and the little things make a BIG difference... Apples and oranges, however, the cab is a make or break deal with me.

The dealer, who has dealt with my family for years, made a final pitch and I went in open minded. The Cab was not comparable and that put Kubota out of the running for my business. The fact that his best cash price was $800 less than an over the phone price on the deere(57 versus 66 HP to boot) made it anything but a horse race. In short it is likely as good a tractor for a smaller man. I tried Toyotas before I bought my Super Duty and Excursion.

At any rate I appreciate the input...

Regarding going to a 4520 or 4320 I would entertain the thought. I have no illusions about the value of the extra HP of the 4720. That said there is a 4720 on the dealer's lot that he wants to deal on. And HP, from my limited experience, never hurts... Granted weight and traction make it usable.

Regards, Matt.

/ John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740? #9  
I looked at a L5740 real hard... and felt that the fit and finish of things - the detail - was just a schooch less than the Deere. Not necessarily a "deal breaker" but the price would have to be lower for the machine to be in the race.

Sounds like you've got your mind made up... Hopefully, the dealer has the numbers to make the sale! If the tractor has been on the lot for a spell (a year or so) he should be hungry to move it.

Deere changed the horsepower levels for the 4520 and the 4720 in 2009. Increased the 4520 from 53hp to 60hp and the 4720 went from 58hp to 66hp.

Be most interested to hear how things work out for you. Most new tractor buyers for Deere CUT's report they received anywhere from 15-22% off the website MSRP.

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ John Deere 4720 Cab w/400CX vs Kubota L5740? #10  
Welcome. I'd say you've made up your mind to get the Deere. Like you, I don't like Kubota's hydro pedal arrangement.

By the way, we like pictures, and would like to see the shop, the old tractor, and the new one when you get it.

Be grateful you have lots of dealer choices on the east coast, as that isn't necessarily the case here in Colorado.